TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is my steering wheel supposed to look like this?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by IamMark, Dec 31, 2019.

1. IamMark

IamMark Member

My new Model 3's steering wheel has what appears to be seems in the shape of a square where possibly the airbag is located. Is this how other Model 3's steering wheels look?

Attached Files:

2. untilcomplete

untilcomplete Member

Did you try cleaning it?

3. linux-works

linux-works Active Member

mine does not look like that. yours is brand new? that almost looks like something was covering it and it was out in the sun (hard to tell from the photo)

4. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

No it's not supposed to look like that.

5. IamMark

IamMark Member

This is a brand new Model 3 I picked up yesterday. I tried cleaning it, but it didn't help.

My SA mentioned something about only having 3 days/100 miles to report cosmetic issues. The service department was closed today, and driving back home took me over 100 miles. So now I can't have this or some other cosmetic issues resolved?

6. Sherlo

Sherlo Member

Just make a device appointment if need be and post pics when you do. I’d imagine that won’t be a problem if you document it now given your mileage/timeframe.

7. IamMark

IamMark Member

Unfortunately I can't make a service appointment. The service department was closed today, and my app keeps generating an error when I try to schedule one.

8. roblab

roblab Active Member

Tell people it's the "Diamond" edition of the 3. Special steering wheel hub! I don't think this would have bothered me, but to each their own fights.

• Funny x 2
  9. onshi

onshi Member

lol wtf

10. Sherlo

Sherlo Member

Just keep trying is all to do for now. You have the time stamped photos for when your app is working.

11. onshi

onshi Member

Your steering wheel has tan lines.

• Funny x 1
  12. masayako

masayako Member

No, it shouldn't look sun burned...

13. jpfive

jpfive Supporting Member

I think it is normal for scribe lines on the inside of steering wheel covers, and even dash panels around the passenger side airbag. this weakens the container enough to facilitate deployment of the bag. Some are more noticeable than others - some not apparent at all - but I have never seen them as visible as on your wheel. I see no hint of them on the steering wheel in my M3. The lines in your photo are not where I would expect these lines to be, and seem a curious shape for an airbag exit point. It doesn't look very attractive either and I think you are right to submit a claim. This is a defect, IMHO, not a cosmetic issue. Good luck. My opinion is based on many years in the body repair business. I've seen a lot of deployed air bags - and also their replacements.

14. Kilotango74

Kilotango74 Active Member

Looks to me like there was a sticker there maybe for identification during assembly.

15. BAven8068

BAven8068 Member

When I bought my car it had a square piece of clear plastic with adhesive covering the steering wheel emblem to protect it I guess. I remember peeling it off myself but it didn’t leave a mark like that.

16. jamaro

jamaro Member

Mine came with a similar mark, same size and shape but not as noticeable so I didn't bother to follow up with the service center. My suspicion is it is from an adhesive film that protected the chrome Tesla badge during production. FWIW, the mark on mine slowly disappeared over the course of a few months of the car sitting outside but yours is so much worse: had mine looked like yours I would have definitely followed up.

17. VT_EE

VT_EE Active Member

Try some Goo Gone (gently) to see if that will take the adhesive off.

18. Adam3

Adam3 Member

I would recommend 409 or 303 Aerospace to try and fix it.

If it doesn't come clean then it must have become discolored and they will need to replace the airbag assembly.

19. BitchinCamaro

BitchinCamaro Member

It's definitely where the clear plastic was there to protect the badge during assembly and delivery. Mine was still installed when I took delivery. I don't have that marking, however, but it's most likely some remnant of the low-tack adhesive they use.

• Like x 1
  20. jpfive

jpfive Supporting Member

Ahhh... That makes sense. Just a little cleaning and you'll be good.