Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my steering wheel supposed to look like this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My new Model 3's steering wheel has what appears to be seems in the shape of a square where possibly the airbag is located. Is this how other Model 3's steering wheels look?

Attachments

• IMG_20191231_165454.jpg
    IMG_20191231_165454.jpg
    491.4 KB · Views: 349
This is a brand new Model 3 I picked up yesterday. I tried cleaning it, but it didn't help.

My SA mentioned something about only having 3 days/100 miles to report cosmetic issues. The service department was closed today, and driving back home took me over 100 miles. So now I can't have this or some other cosmetic issues resolved?

This is a brand new Model 3 I picked up yesterday. I tried cleaning it, but it didn't help.

My SA mentioned something about only having 3 days/100 miles to report cosmetic issues. The service department was closed today, and driving back home took me over 100 miles. So now I can't have this or some other cosmetic issues resolved?

Just make a device appointment if need be and post pics when you do. I’d imagine that won’t be a problem if you document it now given your mileage/timeframe.

My new Model 3's steering wheel has what appears to be seems in the shape of a square where possibly the airbag is located. Is this how other Model 3's steering wheels look?

I think it is normal for scribe lines on the inside of steering wheel covers, and even dash panels around the passenger side airbag. this weakens the container enough to facilitate deployment of the bag. Some are more noticeable than others - some not apparent at all - but I have never seen them as visible as on your wheel. I see no hint of them on the steering wheel in my M3. The lines in your photo are not where I would expect these lines to be, and seem a curious shape for an airbag exit point. It doesn't look very attractive either and I think you are right to submit a claim. This is a defect, IMHO, not a cosmetic issue. Good luck. My opinion is based on many years in the body repair business. I've seen a lot of deployed air bags - and also their replacements.

Mine came with a similar mark, same size and shape but not as noticeable so I didn't bother to follow up with the service center. My suspicion is it is from an adhesive film that protected the chrome Tesla badge during production. FWIW, the mark on mine slowly disappeared over the course of a few months of the car sitting outside but yours is so much worse: had mine looked like yours I would have definitely followed up.