Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my Trade-In Status affecting my delivery date?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I have my car info put into my LR Model Y order with a trade-in valuation of my current car (junk Chevy) in progress. I don't have a delivery date range on the order page, just the "We will reach out to you to schedule your delivery date. Delivery time frame is based on order date, profile submission, delivery location and vehicle configuration." text.

Is my trade-in valuation in progress status preventing me from being put in the queue for orders?

Hello! I don't believe it will impact you too horribly, there's a lot of members complaining about arbitrary delivery dates right now. Here, here, and here.

One quick note, I was in the same boat with trade in (junk Chevy as well), I did end up getting an estimate before I completed my trade in valuation though. Some tips on this process from what I've learned.
  1. I had to reach out to my SA after submitting photos and waiting 5 days to figure out why the valuation hadn't been completed. He emailed someone and it was done within 7 minutes.
  2. After they look at your photos, they want a photo of your title (front and back), if you don't have that handy order a replacement now. They told me that they can do electronic copies, but they never completed my profile and it was faster to grab a new copy from the our "DMV" (wtf!).
  3. You appraisal is only good for 30 days! This is about to bite me in the butt as my delivery window is currently way outside of that. If they don't get me a MY by April 30th I'm not sure what's going to happen. So don't rush this too much.
Quick plug, I'm charting my delivery window changes. I completed my profile on day 97 on the chart. You can clearly see I had multiple estimates before I did so.

Hello! I don't believe it will impact you too horribly, there's a lot of members complaining about arbitrary delivery dates right now. Here, here, and here.

One quick note, I was in the same boat with trade in (junk Chevy as well), I did end up getting an estimate before I completed my trade in valuation though. Some tips on this process from what I've learned.
  1. I had to reach out to my SA after submitting photos and waiting 5 days to figure out why the valuation hadn't been completed. He emailed someone and it was done within 7 minutes.
  2. After they look at your photos, they want a photo of your title (front and back), if you don't have that handy order a replacement now. They told me that they can do electronic copies, but they never completed my profile and it was faster to grab a new copy from the our "DMV" (wtf!).
  3. You appraisal is only good for 30 days! This is about to bite me in the butt as my delivery window is currently way outside of that. If they don't get me a MY by April 30th I'm not sure what's going to happen. So don't rush this too much.
Quick plug, I'm charting my delivery window changes. I completed my profile on day 97 on the chart. You can clearly see I had multiple estimates before I did so.
I am in the same boat as you. I don't know what is going to happen to my trade-in. My delivery date is April 29, about 2 days away from being a month from the offer.

For what it's worth, I asked my SA this same question (my current delivery window is outside the 30 day trade in expiration). He said not to worry; they'll just ask for a new odometer picture and make any adjustments to the quote if needed.

Reactions: sloth
The online chat rep walked me through the trade-in process and I accepted the Tesla offer yesterday, 5/9/2021. I was concerned about the 5-10 week delivery estimate but he said not to worry and they allow 1,000 miles per month until my new Y is delivered. I will easily be under that allowance considering I'm working from home.

Forgot to add, my SA placed a "rush" request for evaluating my trade-in after I uploaded all the required photos and odometer. The trade-in review was completed next day. I ultimately sold our S to AutoNation since their offer was another $1,000 over Tesla's. Up till that point, Tesla's offer was beating everyone else (Carmax, Carvana, Vroom, Shift, etc.). According to my SA, I did need to get everything completed, such as trade-in and/or financing, before I can be added to the queue to receive a VIN.

just realized this today too (confirmed by my SA). i have been without an eta for a while now since my tradein offer expired and i didnt want to update my odometer in case the tradein offer expired again. chicken and egg scenario here.

I got a trade in valuation for my 2019 Model 3, but it expired. They put in a new valuation of zero. I read earlier in this thread and someone said that you have to accept or reject the valuation in order to get a delivery date. (Ordered May 21, 2019; they are saying October.) I still want to trade in the car so will contact the local center in Renton, Washington. In Washington state if you trade in a car you only pay sales tax on the difference.

I test drove a Y last Friday (7/30) and started putting in my order over the weekend. I had a question that I had to wait until today to get answered, so I was entering trade in details today. It asked if there was any damage, and I checked No. Then it wanted me to swear that it had never had an accident. Nope, couldn't do that as it had had an accident, and then the damage was completely repaired. So I'm stuck again. Maybe I missed something, but it sure looked to me like the questions don't fit together.

(FWIW, the people at the test drive estimated November for Y delivery. This is Connecticut so they themselves have nothing to do with ordering.)

You should just not put a trade in, because that will expire in 30 days and you’ll have to keep updating your OD reading. Just wait till you get a vin and then contact your SA to let them know you have a trade in OR check third party sites for other offers.
If you just ordered 7/31 youre in it for the long haul.