Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is MY's AC normally noisy? What about cooling capacity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course, without any fan noise and when the car is parked, the Y is nearly silent. With the AC on Auto (maintaining temperature, not in an extremely hot or cold car), the fan/airflow is loud to my ears. Having owned many cars, this one is probably the loudest. With the narrow slits, perhaps the design lends itself to more noise? I'd like to know if a loud AC/fan noise is normal for a Y.

Los Angeles' temp yesterday was in the 60s. After being in the sun for a little while (no tint yet), the cabin got a little warm, so I turned the AC to "Lo", but the air coming out was not as cold as what I experienced an AC should produce. Mind you, it does produce colder air than ambient, just not as cold as other ACs. I have yet to put a thermometer in the register to measure the output. Here, I'd like to know how capable the AC is at cooling the car. Is it generally subpar, or do I need service?

Thanks.

Two Texas summers. HVAC is amazing, and on Auto, the fan/airflow from the dash isn't loud to me. If it were, I'd dump the car, as I can't abide ambient droning fan noise.
I would recommend finding a friend with a MY and comparing your cars. It's always possible that an airflow blend door is malfunctioning.

Reactions: snovvman
It's not loud to me inside the car, but louder than I expected from outside of the car. If you have doubts about effectiveness, definitely get a vent thermometer and check the difference between ambient and vent temps. I've had cars that I thought weren't cooling properly but when tested they were in spec. Modern refrigerant systems aren't like the old Freon units that would practically shoot frost at you, but they still get the job done in terms of maintaining cabin temps.

Reactions: snovvman