Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is now a good time for a new model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is talking of a looming refresh and of course Elon denied it saying only 'mintor changes' would roll forward. But do you guys think this is a good time for a new model S? I plan on most likely getting the performance just so I don't have any regrets and plan to drive this car for 10+ years.

This car is also special for me since I don't buy leather products and the Tesla store said they can custom order one without leather... so it will be a very fast, high tech, powerful and beautiful car without leather. Its unlikely a lot of the upcoming EV competition will be free of leather and offer everything the model S does. This incentivizes me further to invest in a model S.

But is this the right time? Should I hang on for another couple years to see what happens with the Model S? I do wonder if they combine the LR and performance models into 1 LR performance model with a lower price tag so things become more streamlined for them.

If you like the current interior, go for it !! The latest update (Raven) introduced some cool new stuff, e.g. adaptive air suspension, longer range and faster super charging.

If you don’t buy leather due to the fact that cows are killed, don’t worry, Tesla leather is vegan (besides from the steering wheel)

Reactions: shellderp
There is talking of a looming refresh and of course Elon denied it saying only 'mintor changes' would roll forward. But do you guys think this is a good time for a new model S? I plan on most likely getting the performance just so I don't have any regrets and plan to drive this car for 10+ years.

This car is also special for me since I don't buy leather products and the Tesla store said they can custom order one without leather... so it will be a very fast, high tech, powerful and beautiful car without leather. Its unlikely a lot of the upcoming EV competition will be free of leather and offer everything the model S does. This incentivizes me further to invest in a model S.

But is this the right time? Should I hang on for another couple years to see what happens with the Model S? I do wonder if they combine the LR and performance models into 1 LR performance model with a lower price tag so things become more streamlined for them.

I think you just need to decide for yourself, whether you want the new car now or in a year or two. There will always be something better around the corner. That “imminent” interior refresh has been rumored for years! :)

You also need to decide on your priorities. For example, if the Autopilot is a priority for you, then it is unlikely that its hardware will change too much in the upcoming months. Battery packs may see a change within a year. I will not be surprised to see a range exceeding 400 miles next year. Interior may get some minor upgrades. Is this worth the wait? You decide! Personally I would rather drive the car now than wait. If you want to have the latest and the greatest, consider leasing.

As for vegan leather, Tesla stopped making leather seats a couple of years ago. The only remaining leather is on the steering wheel, but you can have that custom-modified if you really want to.

Welcome to TMC!

Last edited:
We're on our second Model S (2012 S P85 and 2017 S 100D).

Rather than making a large number of changes, Tesla will likely continue to make smaller changes to S & X, while continuing to improve 3 and bring out Y, pickup and semi. Unlike the other manufacturers, Tesla introduces these changes when they're ready - and doesn't stick to an annual model year. This makes it difficult to predict when changes will happen or how significant they will be.

It appears unlikely a major interior refresh will happen soon. I'm guessing we'll see that happen when Tesla believes they are close to getting FSD approved - when they'll shift the focus of the interior more to supporting passengers (entertainment, seating, …) and less to the person driving the vehicle.

The biggest change likely coming within the next 12 to 18 months is a new battery pack and V3 supercharging. Musk has indicated the newer battery packs will have a longer lifetime, and could have increased range, along with fully supporting the faster V3 charging.

However, these are incremental improvements. The current Model S already has 370 miles of range - and while it doesn't get the full V3 charging speeds, there has been some improvement in charging rates at V3 locations.

If you're waiting for the best technology before purchasing a Tesla - you could wait forever, since there will always be something new coming out in the next year - EVs are still a new technology and going through rapid changes.

When we decided to purchase our 2017, there were several specific features we were waiting for - and when the 100 battery packs with over 300 miles of range were released, we immediately ordered our 100D (probably the first delivered in Texas).

As for the leather - Tesla uses an artificial material that appears to be like leather for the interior (with the likely exception of the steering wheel, which comes from a 3rd party).

Today, if you buy a Model S - you'll get the ability to purchase FSD at the current pricing (a price increase may be coming in the next few days) - and you'll get free unlimited supercharging (FUSC), with a long range EV with a proven design (that's been in production since 2012), established supercharger network, and new features coming shortly in the Version 10 software release.

One good thing about the current S is that it's a mature platform. Most of the bugs have been worked out and they're very reliable - at least in my experience. A significantly refreshed car is going to come with a new crop of headaches that will take year to fix up.

As to what will happen in the next couple of years... there will be changes. Certainly a new interior, likely a little body work on the tail, dual charge ports, a new battery, longer range, maybe 3 motors and probably a new AP version. I also expect that the cooling/heating/drive train from the 3 will fully come across to the S, enabling track mode and maybe better performance.

But nobody knows when this will all happen - probably not even within Tesla. So it's up to you to decide if you're happy with what's on offer and make a decision. Just know that in a year, you won't have the latest or greatest. That's just the way it is. :)

There is talking of a looming refresh...
Not really going to be a "refresh", but as others said minor improvements which is typical of Tesla. And this will always be the case no longer how long you wait. I wonder if Vegan available for Model 3?
Updates some people think are coming are: 1) 250 kW charging rate. Not an issue if you don't expect to supercharge much. Most people charge at home and or work. 2) 400 mile range. Elon said at investor meeting that won't have to wait long for that. That is an 8% increase in range from current 375 mile range. 3) Last year Elon tweeted that red interior option is coming.
What is it you like about Model S over Model 3, X, and Y?

I'm in the same boat, on the fence about pulling the trigger not because of any refreshes coming down the line soon, but because with Tesla constantly changing prices and config options, I don't want to end up like all these other guys out here with a car that is old and used and not even worth as much as what you could order brand new.

But on the topic of vegan vs leather, the sales rep boasted vegan... and that's find and dandy if you are a vegan and don't eat animal products, but until they stop making hamburgers they aren't going to run out of leather anytime soon, so might as well enjoy the material!

• Funny
Reactions: erik_k
Hrm good points, its definitely a tough choice.

I kind of feel in a bout a year there will be a price drop... either with including FSD for free and/or dropping the performance to long range price and long range further or just consolidating into 1 model with a lower price than performance.

As for the leather ya as DriveMe stated you can order non animal leather steering wheel with model S but not model 3.

I'm in the same boat, on the fence about pulling the trigger not because of any refreshes coming down the line soon, but because with Tesla constantly changing prices and config options, I don't want to end up like all these other guys out here with a car that is old and used and not even worth as much as what you could order brand new.

But on the topic of vegan vs leather, the sales rep boasted vegan... and that's find and dandy if you are a vegan and don't eat animal products, but until they stop making hamburgers they aren't going to run out of leather anytime soon, so might as well enjoy the material!
May be worth waiting until end of this quarter or end of year, since Tesla is now chasing profits instead of volumes, and may be making some changes to push more Model S sales (a lot more profitable than Model 3).

It is always a good time to buy a model S. There will be regular updates to improve the car. Enjoy the car you buy, do not worry about perfect timing.

That's the mantra that Elon preaches but it will always be wrong. The last buyers before an unexpected change will always be upset. It's happened many times before. And as sure I'm sitting here, the last buyers before the next batch of major changes comes out, whenever that happens, will be hollering to the high heavens.

It's unrealistic to say "any time is a good time". It's just not so.

I was on the fence too...for 3 years. I then realized what a fool I’ve been and that I’ll always be waiting for whatever is coming next when I could be enjoying one of the best cars on the road. With the new Raven, the drop in pricing, the free ludicrous with the Performance, and now the free lifetime supercharging...I decided to pull the trigger. Just got my VIN this morning! But alas, the improvements will keep coming every quarter and I’m now fine with that. After Elon said “no” to a refresh and then commented that the current S is vastly superior to the previous years versions...that too was good enough for me. Also, to echo what someone else said - if there are some modifications like interior changes, there will almost certainly be a breaking in period with challenges that personally - I’d rather wait until those are ironed out than experience first hand. And don’t forget that Tesla is really focused on 3, Y, and the pick up. With S and X making up an increasingly smaller % of their sales, there’s less incentive to make significant changes at this time. Just do it. Pull the trigger and enjoy it! (and don’t forget the cost of FSD goes up in the next 24 hrs). My 2 cents.

I bought an S right before the raven refresh. I didn't get the extra range but I got vented seats, which you can't get anymore! So keep in mind you might not get some things but you might also lose some things if you wait. Another big example is the sunroof which is no longer available