Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is now a good time to buy a model Y performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been on the fence about buying my first electric vehicle and have struggled to decide between a model Y performance or splurging for the new BMW IX.

I was wondering if now is a good time to buy a model Y from a pending update standpoint? I have read a lot about 4680 battery cells and made in Texas model Y's - I am not sure if it's worth waiting for that? Kind of like buying a new iPhone when it first comes out - that is what im wanting to do here. I don't want to buy something "mid cycle." Also, how do you know that the Tesla you receive is in fact the latest and greatest version?

Thanks,

I think we're probably at least minimum a year away from seeing LR and Performance Model Y's with 4680 cells, but who knows. Now is probably as good a time as any, as gas prices continue to surge throughout the summer months EV demand is only going to be that much greater causing longer wait times and/or additional price increases.

I have been on the fence about buying my first electric vehicle and have struggled to decide between a model Y performance or splurging for the new BMW IX.

I was wondering if now is a good time to buy a model Y from a pending update standpoint? I have read a lot about 4680 battery cells and made in Texas model Y's - I am not sure if it's worth waiting for that? Kind of like buying a new iPhone when it first comes out - that is what im wanting to do here. I don't want to buy something "mid cycle." Also, how do you know that the Tesla you receive is in fact the latest and greatest version?

Thanks,
Buying a Tesla is always like buying an iPhone. There will be something better available next year.

As this will be your first EV consider your driving needs. Do you plan to take trips of 200 miles or more? Estimated EV range and actual range can be very far apart when driving 80 MPH + on the highway. You will most likely need to use the Tesla Supercharger network or a DC fast charge network such as Electrify America. In many cases the only way you will be able drive long distances at higher speeds will be to plan to stop every 1.5 hours to 2 hours and charge for ~20 minutes. You can use A Better Route Planner (ABRP) on the web or on your phone to plan some trips, see what the charging options will be for both the Tesla Model Y and a vehicle such as the BMW IX.

I'm sure you also asked for advice in the BMW forum, and I'm curious whether the responses are what you would expect. The only thing I would caution is that any automaker can make a car appealing on paper, until it's been subjected to the real world. Tesla has gone through that and demonstrated what it can do, BMW hasn't. Neither has ANY other carmaker including those who have delivered some EVs. Expect the unexpected if you choose to go BMW.

Certainly not claiming Tesla or Model Y is perfect, but at least you know what problems you could be facing.

• Helpful
Reactions: Corndart
Tesla rolls out new improvements (and sometimes feature deletes) throughout the year.

You may wait for dual glazed windows (now standard on the 3 and Y), and while you get those, you now no longer get the previously included portable charger,, or perhaps they deleted lumbar support from front passengers, or radar for cruise control... (my timeline is not accurate, but you get my point)

The point is, unlike most manufacturers which wait until the new model year to bring out changes, Tesla does it throughout the year, adding and deleting items.

My suggestion... order a Model Y so you at least lock in the current price, then find a Model Y you can rent on Turo and go rent one for a couple of days. Live with it, and after two days, you're either going to love it or you'll move on to the BMW.

Reactions: MyMYLRnw
Isn't the iX starting in the mid-$80s vs the Y in the high $60s? (Sure the iX gets the federal rebate....)
Also, I imagine the delivery window for the iX to be sometime in Q1 2023 if you ordered today?
yeah and after you add options its closer to 100k... and then you might as well get the M60. It is quite a bit more. I wish I had considered the Y more seriously when it was low 60's!

All Model Y vehicles manufactured in the US since late Q4 2021 have had the Ryzen processor and the 15V lithium starting battery.
This isn't completely true and there's another thread detailing a timeline. After approximately Jan 10th-ish it seemed to be 50/50 and as Q1 2022 continued the more and more Ryzen's were seen to the point it seems most if not all MY LR at this point are Ryzen. MYP, however, I recently read that some still have Atom.

I’d say now is a horrible time to buy anything. All of the supply chain issues and restrictions have artificially inflated prices for everything. Since you’re considering buying a Tesla you don’t need the car right away. If I were you I’d just wait another year for things to settle down and shake out. We should have a better idea how FSD is progressing at that point, too, so you can make a more informed decision as to whether it’s worth it.

Reactions: Physicslawyer