Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is now a good time to buy a model Y performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The absolute best time probably would have been 1-2 price increases ago when they were rolling out new processor chips. One can still take delivery and have equity in your vehicle now. Come 6 months, some new feature or component will probably roll out then that will be the new best version.

I faced exactly this problem recently, and decided to go ahead and order. (I ordered in Jan, just before the FSD price hike.) The main changes I was waiting for were HW4 and 4680 cells / structural pack, but both of these seem to be at least a year off, and I didn't want to wait that long.

Took delivery last week, and zero regrets!

I took delivery of the MYP in Feb. I also have an IX on order at MSRP that is supposed to come in August. I also have a Rivian R1S estimated for 2h23. In addition to the MYP I also have an x5 m50i and gave really only owned luxury cars from Mercedes’, BMW and Lexus.

MYP the good.
-one pedal driving is great.
-infotainment for the most part is very intuitive.
-realize I don’t need an instrument cluster in front of me.
-supercharging network appears better than the competition in the US
-kids love the car and daughter doesn’t get car sick in the car because there are no gear changes.
-storage is insanely practical in it

Negatives
-suspension generally can be good and then at times it just feels rough. Like real rough.
-wish it had a heads up display.
-interior is fine but does feel cheap for it’s price.
-my experience with service has thus far been subpar to BMW.
-build quality is a bit suspect.
-driving at 90mph feels like you are driving too fast (dunno maybe the steering is too sensitive or maybe interior rattles but it’s not confidence inspiring)
-lack of rear axle steering sucks for parking

I’ve tested the IX already and will likely get rid of the Y for the IX. Had the Y been able to handle more load on its tow hitch maybe I could have convinced wife to get rid of x5 but as it stands it looks like we can’t go full ev. For me the IX solves several issues on the y I can live with but would prefer an alternative to
-air suspension feels amazing. Not performance oriented but will be a crowd pleaser for the family.
-IX seemed even more quiet than y, particularly at higher speeds. Feels like it can be an autobahn cruiser (other than speed limited at 125mph)
-heads up display is pretty amazing on that vehicle. Has rear axle steering. And has that special sunroof that can go opaque which the kids want.
-nicer interior materials.
-will see how the service is on an EV with BMW but my experience on the x5’s I’ve owned has been exceptional.

In the off chance other manufactures start to offer cars that are a couple of tenths faster than the PMY, does anyone think Tesla has a little more performance in the bank they could release with an OTA update to stay ahead? Or is the current PMY maxed out?

I took delivery of the MYP in Feb. I also have an IX on order at MSRP that is supposed to come in August. I also have a Rivian R1S estimated for 2h23. In addition to the MYP I also have an x5 m50i and gave really only owned luxury cars from Mercedes’, BMW and Lexus.

MYP the good.
-kids love the car and daughter doesn’t get car sick in the car because there are no gear changes.

Negatives
-suspension generally can be good and then at times it just feels rough. Like real rough.
-driving at 90mph feels like you are driving too fast (dunno maybe the steering is too sensitive or maybe interior rattles but it’s not confidence inspiring)

I’ve tested the IX already and will likely get rid of the Y for the IX. Had the Y been able to handle more load on its tow hitch maybe I could have convinced wife to get rid of x5 but as it stands it looks like we can’t go full ev. For me the IX solves several issues on the y I can live with but would prefer an alternative to
-air suspension feels amazing. Not performance oriented but will be a crowd pleaser for the family.
-IX seemed even more quiet than y, particularly at higher speeds. Feels like it can be an autobahn cruiser (other than speed limited at 125mph)
-heads up display is pretty amazing on that vehicle. Has rear axle steering. And has that special sunroof that can go opaque which the kids want.
-will see how the service is on an EV with BMW but my experience on the x5’s I’ve owned has been exceptional.
The iX looks very nice. I don't have a problem with the interior of my MY but that's personal preference. If the iX interior is like other BMW's I've driven it will be quite nice and a step up.

The MY suspension is pretty bad - easily the worst of any car I've driven and probably my biggest complaint of the car. (I'm surprised your daughter doesn't get sick in it - it doesn't shift, but it's quite poor at absorbing road imperfections so you get bounced around a lot.) Tesla basically took the Model 3 suspension and dumped it in the MY. They really should have spent more time on it. I never go faster than about 70, but I've seen several people say that it even though it's stiff, it doesn't perform well when pushed, either. I've never ridden in an iX to know how it compares, but if it's got an air suspension I'm sure it's better. (of course you're paying more, too.)

I've never had an issue with my local Tesla service center, that's something that is very location dependent.

One thing that the MY has which the iX lacks is autopilot. Even if you don't spring for FSD, AP is very nice on the highway for road trips.

As far as towing goes, most EVs won't be great. They achieve their range through aerodynamics and regenerative braking. Towing destroys aerodynamics and that's energy that can't be recouped.

MYP suspension is setup to handle 4500lbs without any adjustable/airbag suspension, which is why is is stiffer than regular. The last thing you want to have is the heavy car with cushy suspension setup which will be disaster when it comes to handling and stability while cornering or spirited driving.
Again, mostly old people who just have money to buy these performance cars and complain about "stiff" suspension and they want cushy ride, which makes no sense. It is like people buy sports version of car and drive like 100 year old person.
I drive 90-110 mph frequently (by following the traffic flow) and I don't even notice I am going that fast. MYP suspension setup is on the very good side when comparing to non adjustable/air bag suspension competitions.

• Love
Reactions: t153 and Oreodriver
The iX looks very nice. I don't have a problem with the interior of my MY but that's personal preference. If the iX interior is like other BMW's I've driven it will be quite nice and a step up.

The MY suspension is pretty bad - easily the worst of any car I've driven and probably my biggest complaint of the car. (I'm surprised your daughter doesn't get sick in it - it doesn't shift, but it's quite poor at absorbing road imperfections so you get bounced around a lot.) Tesla basically took the Model 3 suspension and dumped it in the MY. They really should have spent more time on it. I never go faster than about 70, but I've seen several people say that it even though it's stiff, it doesn't perform well when pushed, either. I've never ridden in an iX to know how it compares, but if it's got an air suspension I'm sure it's better. (of course you're paying more, too.)

I've never had an issue with my local Tesla service center, that's something that is very location dependent.

One thing that the MY has which the iX lacks is autopilot. Even if you don't spring for FSD, AP is very nice on the highway for road trips.

As far as towing goes, most EVs won't be great. They achieve their range through aerodynamics and regenerative braking. Towing destroys aerodynamics and that's energy that can't be recouped.
Yeah, i too am a bit surprised but its perhaps because most of the roads near me are in fairly good condition so maybe that’s why she doesn’t notice it. However, I’ve hit a few potholes near NYC that even at slow speeds you just feel up your spine. My vehicles have historically had a stiffer suspension by design but this just isn’t refined. It’s probably the #1 reason I’m willing to trade in the MYP. If this had air suspension or something just slightly more compliant perhaps with rear axle steering I wouldn’t even bother trading it in for the IX.

It’s not so much that the Tesla service center is bad. It’s just the entire process. I’m a person that likes to primarily operate online, but TSLA’s model is just too impersonal. For example one month into getting my MYP, the seat belt sensor on the front passenger seat wouldn’t work correctly. So if you sit in the seat and the seat belt is secured, it got confused and would warn you that the air bags will not deploy in an accident. Seems to be a rather big issue. How do you address that? You sign into the app. And it goes into other. And the earliest appointment in northern NJ was 5 weeks out. And there is no number to call to get this addressed. And then what do they give you when you show up? Uber credit for $100/day and so you have a bunch of people waiting outside of the center waiting for their Uber pickup for like 20-30 minutes. Meanwhile, there are 4-5 BMW dealerships available within a 25 minute drive of me, i can usually book an appointment 1-2 weeks out with a loaner. One of the dealerships also comes out to my house 2x a year to swap out my winter and summer tires that i store in my garage.

I’ve found the AP not to my liking. It’s not useful in stop and go traffic by me because then everyone just cuts into your lane in front of you. I also just don’t want to deal with the phantom braking issue. I have full sell drive preview on and when I go through the Lincoln Tunnel, sometimes it sees the reflection of brake lights and shadows on the tunnel wall and thinks it sees buses and cars that aren’t there. That’s a sign of confidence. I don’t think its any better than the auto cruise control in my 2020 X5 that will also stay in the lane on the highways and will come to a complete stop if there is traffic.

I also forgot, the lack of Apple CarPlay/Android integration isn’t the biggest deal but it is sort of a pain. I think the navigation on CarPlay is more accurate near me especially if I don’t care about superchargers. And then switching between songs via Bluetooth is just a hassle. So much better on the BMW.

Last on the towing, my biggest issue on towing has nothing to do with range but the limited vertical weight which they have at 160lbs for bike racks. I confirmed and spoke w/ customer service online. I have this amazing bike rack from 1Up which can expand from 2 bikes to 4 bikes and loading and unloading bikes is a breeze. However, with 4 bikes the rack weighs about 98 lbs (its made of steel). So at that point it wouldn’t support the weight of the bikes for the family. Thing is, they don’t mention that on the website unless you dig deep. Feel a bit hoodwinked on that one as I ordered the option (I guess its fine if I’m just putting on 2-3 bikes). Meanwhile, my x5 can hold like 600lbs of vertical weight. To be fair, in the US the IX doesn’t even have a tow situation which is so annoying when the European model has an option. But that leaves me in this predicament that our X5 remains the workhorse for the family. Would have loved the MYP to be that option because in most situations its so practical.

Reactions: sleepydoc
MYP suspension is setup to handle 4500lbs without any adjustable/airbag suspension, which is why is is stiffer than regular. The last thing you want to have is the heavy car with cushy suspension setup which will be disaster when it comes to handling and stability while cornering or spirited driving.
Again, mostly old people who just have money to buy these performance cars and complain about "stiff" suspension and they want cushy ride, which makes no sense. It is like people buy sports version of car and drive like 100 year old person.
I drive 90-110 mph frequently (by following the traffic flow) and I don't even notice I am going that fast. MYP suspension setup is on the very good side when comparing to non adjustable/air bag suspension competitions.
My last two cars were an AMG (lite) and X5 M50I with the dynamic sport chassis option. Prefer stiff suspensions. I don’t want body roll. It’s not at fast speeds that the MYP lets me down. It’s how crappy the suspension is when you hit a pothole at literally <10 mph in traffic and just feel it up your spine. The double wishbone suspension on the X5 M50I in sport+ mode feels just as stiff as the Y when going fast but can handle potholes, cobblestone streets, etc with ease at slow speeds. My prior vehicle was a AMG C43 which wasn’t a bonkers AMG but still pretty good and if you read reviews out there, there are complaints about the harshness of that ride as well. Well, that one still feels better than the MYP at slow speeds. Both vehicles are steel suspension but are adjustable and it makes a huge difference to me. I just assume the Model X or S are much better on the road with their adaptive suspension option and I would have considered the X if not for the fact that the wait time is over a year and the vehicle is over $120K (I mean at that price, I would rather have an Audi RS6 Avant or Cayenne GTS or something).

Again, it is not fair comparing MYP with 35 profile tires with non adjustable/airbag suspension with X5 suv high profile tires with adjustable/airbag suspension.
You should compare your ICE cars with MX or MS for suspension comfort.

Agree with some of your points, especially on suspension. But regarding X5, don’t you find 2nd row leg room tiny? I test drove and sat in the back, couldn’t believe how small it is for such a large car. It was barely larger than X3 and just wasn’t comfortable at all. That was my biggest gripe with X5. IX does look amazing though, but that’s at minimum another 20k more.

Agree with some of your points, especially on suspension. But regarding X5, don’t you find 2nd row leg room tiny? I test drove and sat in the back, couldn’t believe how small it is for such a large car. It was barely larger than X3 and just wasn’t comfortable at all. That was my biggest gripe with X5. IX does look amazing though, but that’s at minimum another 20k more.
Idunno - I drive from the front! :p You're right though - I'm 6'5 and even with the seat all the way back in the MY there's plenty of leg room. I came from an A4 and there was about 2" left behind the driver's seat in that car. The amount of room in the MY is just impressive in general. It's one of the things I like about it.

Again, it is not fair comparing MYP with 35 profile tires with non adjustable/airbag suspension with X5 suv high profile tires with adjustable/airbag suspension.
Why is it not fair? You're basically saying "it's not fair because the MY isn't set up to have a good ride." Well, that's the entire point, isn't it?

Yeah, i too am a bit surprised but its perhaps because most of the roads near me are in fairly good condition so maybe that’s why she doesn’t notice it. However, I’ve hit a few potholes near NYC that even at slow speeds you just feel up your spine.
Yup. I totally know what you mean. There's a road I take to work that has a lot of cracks in the asphalt. In the winter you get some frost heave and the ride is miserable. I quit trying to drink my coffee because I couldn't do it without spilling all over myself.
I also forgot, the lack of Apple CarPlay/Android integration isn’t the biggest deal but it is sort of a pain.
I definitely miss CarPlay, too. A lot of people extol the Tesla interface and it's better than most but is still lacking in many areas, especially after the V11 update. I like the convenience and consistency of CarPlay, too. Bluetooth is also a really poor experience. It's more of a bandaid but has minimal functionality.
I’ve found the AP not to my liking. It’s not useful in stop and go traffic by me because then everyone just cuts into your lane in front of you. I also just don’t want to deal with the phantom braking issue.
I get what you mean about AP - It works well for me, but it's definitely not aggressive. if you're somewhere where people drive aggressively in heavy traffic then it won't do so well. To be fair, most adaptive cruise systems I've driven don't do terribly well in those situations, either. Phantom braking is slowly improving. Still not perfect but it's defiantly gotten better. I expect it to continue to improve (I can't claim to be patient on this, though!)

X5 M50I does not come with air suspension. It is steel springs. But it does have some ability to adjust. And if I were to compare the X5 m50 to the MX, fully maxed out with a nicer interior it is about $30K cheaper and nicer on the inside. An x5 base (40i) can also be in the same price range of a Model Y as well so why shouldn’t it also be compared? The X3 M40i is now cheaper than a Model Y performance and in some ways is a better vehicle than the MYP. I still chose the MYP, but I’m not blind to its shortcomings (I’m not saying you are, I’m just saying it doesn’t deserve to be excused for its shortcomings…,particularly as the price continues to rise and yet TSLA’s gross margins continue to expand).

X5 prioritized rear cargo space over 2nd row cargo. My kids are 10 and 6 so this isn’t a problem whatsoever. If my kids were 6” feet tall maybe I would think otherwise. But its also about the same 2nd row space as a Cayenne which is in the same category. The GLE or a Range Rover do have larger 2nd rows but part of my calculus was also to be able to easily open my trunk while in my garage and that is where the slightly shorter x5 came in handy. The IX has the same dimensions but a longer wheelbase and having sat in it, has a much larger 2nd row but does appear to sacrifice some rear cargo space. In some ways it even seemed smaller than all the usable space than the Y. However, for 95% of my daily needs, I don’t think this is really going to be much of an issue.

I’d also point out that the x5 has much more usable 2nd row space than many sedans that have similar dimensions like the E class and 5 series (which i was quite surprised by). Same goes with the Taycan.

BTW I keep sounding overly negative here. I think the MYP is a great car in many respects. A few changes would make it perfect for my needs. The acceleration is fantastic although I would say it’s slightly less impressive above 70mph (I mean its still very capable of passing but doesn’t blow me away). I love the precision of one pedal driving. The driving position and visibility out of the front is amazing (not as much with rear visibility but I can deal). The infotainment is super snappy. I think the sound system sounds great. And having not seen a gas station in 3 months has been timely! Plus the KBB for my car is now $70k and I bought it for $64k so that’s a win!

MYP the good.

Negatives

The number of vehicles with rear axle steering is fairly small so that comment seems like a complete non-sequitur. If you're complaining about the turning radius, the IX is worse than the Y, even with rear wheel steering...

You've also missed the positives in terms of the price of the MYP, which starts at 10k cheaper than the IX and the gap gets significantly greater when you start optioning out the IX. The 7500 federal tax credit doesn't come close to offsetting when you're easily at 90k+ to get some of the features you are admiring such as the HUD (part of a 2300 or 4000 option pack, depending on which you pick).

Agree with some of your other points but still feel the MYP represents both a better value and a far more mature battery / motor platform than the IX. And that front end on the BMW, yeah...no thanks.

Last edited: