Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is now a good time to buy a model Y performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is something off with the Y when it comes to tight spots. I dunno how to describe it. The parking garage I park in the city requires multiple turns To get in with the Y while I never had that problem with my C43. Even pullling into my garage which requires a 90 degree turn from the driveway, there is just something the feels off. Like I feel like I should have more of a turning circle than I do whereas I always felt like i could make those last minute adjustments with the X5.

I agree that the MYP starts cheaper…because it is cheaper. There are a bunch of areas in the MYP where the build quality and choice of materials look like something I would see out of a Rav 4 and this is now approaching a $70k vehicle.

-Homelink is extra (i don’t even know how much it costs. Standard in most cars).
-Where are the top down cameras that are standard in many cars to help with parallel parking?
-Why is there no blind spot light in the mirrors (something again standard in so many cars)
-The included rugs - they are some of the flimsiest things I’ve ever seen. How about those sun visors. Oh by the way, since I don’t have homelink I just use a regular garage door clicker and somehow just keeping that on the sun visor has scratched up the headliner on this $70k car…literally can’t take any abuse.
-I found the IX considerably quieter than the Y. I recall reading from car and driver that the x5 and X7 were one of the quietest vehicles they’ve ever tested, perhaps some of that applies here.
-The base sensetec seats and adjustability of the seats seem superior to the Model Y. I actually optioned up the more expensive red leather but just saying.
-There are two screens as standard so I can actually have an instrument cluster. There are actual buttons in the cabin.
-And then there is the suspension, again part of the base vehicle (at least in the US).

So unfortunately for me Tesla has this gap. I want more than the Y. But I want less than the X which has gotten ridiculous in pricing. The IX sits right in between and so despite Tesla have a superior charging network, I have no qualms about trading in MYP for an IX later this year. I bought the Y for my daily commutes to work and to have a baseline understanding of what the world of EV’s is all about.

As for the looks, I actually think the IX looks much better in person. It’s really grown on me because it looks different. As an owner of the MYP, I also don’t think its the best looking vehicle in the world either. From certain angles it does look good but there are plenty of cars that I think beats the MYP in the looks department. But I also don’t spend that much on the outside of my vehicle admiring it which is why the Y didn’t bother me either. The interior matters much more to me. And I think the IX delivers what I’m looking for. I actually think the Y’s interior design (excluding the materials used) is actually quite nice. I just want it nicer.

I’m also a reservation holder of the Rivian R1S. There are tons of unknowns on this vehicle but from everything I’ve read, the reviews tend to be quite favorable. And lucky for me they are honoring the lower price from when I reserved. And that has the $7500 tax credit. We’ll see. Maybe if it delivers the goods, I can get rid of the X5 in 2023/2024.

On the lower end of the spectrum, I’d like to really understand the reliability of that hyuandai Ioniq but I actually love that retro 80’s hatchback look.

Reactions: aspushkin
There is something off with the Y when it comes to tight spots. I dunno how to describe it. The parking garage I park in the city requires multiple turns To get in with the Y while I never had that problem with my C43. Even pullling into my garage which requires a 90 degree turn from the driveway, there is just something the feels off. Like I feel like I should have more of a turning circle than I do whereas I always felt like i could make those last minute adjustments with the X5.

I agree that the MYP starts cheaper…because it is cheaper. There are a bunch of areas in the MYP where the build quality and choice of materials look like something I would see out of a Rav 4 and this is now approaching a $70k vehicle.

-Homelink is extra (i don’t even know how much it costs. Standard in most cars).
-Where are the top down cameras that are standard in many cars to help with parallel parking?
-Why is there no blind spot light in the mirrors (something again standard in so many cars)
-The included rugs - they are some of the flimsiest things I’ve ever seen. How about those sun visors. Oh by the way, since I don’t have homelink I just use a regular garage door clicker and somehow just keeping that on the sun visor has scratched up the headliner on this $70k car…literally can’t take any abuse.
-I found the IX considerably quieter than the Y. I recall reading from car and driver that the x5 and X7 were one of the quietest vehicles they’ve ever tested, perhaps some of that applies here.
-The base sensetec seats and adjustability of the seats seem superior to the Model Y. I actually optioned up the more expensive red leather but just saying.
-There are two screens as standard so I can actually have an instrument cluster. There are actual buttons in the cabin.
-And then there is the suspension, again part of the base vehicle (at least in the US).

So unfortunately for me Tesla has this gap. I want more than the Y. But I want less than the X which has gotten ridiculous in pricing. The IX sits right in between and so despite Tesla have a superior charging network, I have no qualms about trading in MYP for an IX later this year. I bought the Y for my daily commutes to work and to have a baseline understanding of what the world of EV’s is all about.

As for the looks, I actually think the IX looks much better in person. It’s really grown on me because it looks different. As an owner of the MYP, I also don’t think its the best looking vehicle in the world either. From certain angles it does look good but there are plenty of cars that I think beats the MYP in the looks department. But I also don’t spend that much on the outside of my vehicle admiring it which is why the Y didn’t bother me either. The interior matters much more to me. And I think the IX delivers what I’m looking for. I actually think the Y’s interior design (excluding the materials used) is actually quite nice. I just want it nicer.

I’m also a reservation holder of the Rivian R1S. There are tons of unknowns on this vehicle but from everything I’ve read, the reviews tend to be quite favorable. And lucky for me they are honoring the lower price from when I reserved. And that has the $7500 tax credit. We’ll see. Maybe if it delivers the goods, I can get rid of the X5 in 2023/2024.

On the lower end of the spectrum, I’d like to really understand the reliability of that hyuandai Ioniq but I actually love that retro 80’s hatchback look.
You've sorta landed on the problem. The MY should focus on competing in the 40-60k segment, which is where they started. It gets real wonky moving up market, with a nearly identical platform, that would over double the price between lowest and highest in the range.

Reactions: sleepydoc
MY “was” indeed $40-$60k car before this crazy inflation. Guess what, all those legacy auto makers can’t increase their prices mid year, just wait for the next model year pricing. There will be significant price increase with mark ups.

Oh by the way, since I don’t have homelink I just use a regular garage door clicker and somehow just keeping that on the sun visor has scratched up the headliner on this $70k car…literally can’t take any abuse.

Had this exact same issue! Noticed that the headliner was getting scratched by my garage door opener clip (never had that happen on any other car before!)

Ended up removing the metal clip and mounting the garage door opener behind the bottom edge of the center screen. It is hidden away and easy to reach and no longer scratching up the headliner... which seems to have "healed" and doesn't look so bad any more.

The sudden change of employment of the wife sealed the decision for us as I need to drop her of about 15 miles one way and pick her up again after her shift, so the max 25 miles drive before that I do in a day now suddenly becomes at least 60 miles.

I ordered the MYP Easter Tuesday and while it’s not even 3 weeks, it feels like i’ve been waiting forever.

The sudden change of employment of the wife sealed the decision for us as I need to drop her of about 15 miles one way and pick her up again after her shift, so the max 25 miles drive before that I do in a day now suddenly becomes at least 60 miles.

I ordered the MYP Easter Tuesday and while it’s not even 3 weeks, it feels like i’ve been waiting forever.
At risk of a rathole... the breakeven in terms of operation cost reduction is quite lengthy (basically never) on a 75k USD MYP vs. a $35-45k similar size and build quality 2 row SUV. This data sure looks tantalizing, that pretty infographic on the Tesla app for gas savings. But even factoring in maintenance, that is one heck of an initial outlay cost to recover in the form operating expense savings.

At risk of a rathole... the breakeven in terms of operation cost reduction is quite lengthy (basically never) on a 75k USD MYP vs. a $35-45k similar size and build quality 2 row SUV. This data sure looks tantalizing, that pretty infographic on the Tesla app for gas savings. But even factoring in maintenance, that is one heck of an initial outlay cost to recover in the form operating expense savings.
Totally agree. Buying EVs is not going to save you money.

Completely agree. A friend told me once, "the best car for the environment is the one you're already driving." Her point was that the environmental impact of manufacturing the car dwarfs the benefit of getting a more efficient one but the same applies to operating costs. If you need to get a new car then an EV makes a lot of sense. If you just want one and you're trying to rationalize it by saying it's cheaper to operate, that's fine, but recognize that all you're doing is rationalizing. Even with a $45k car it will be difficult to recoup your costs.

Quick calculation:
$4/gallon for gas, 20 miles per gallon, 15,000 miles per year = $3,000 per year in gas. Let's be generous and say $500 average per year in maintenance. That puts you at $3,500 per year. Ignoring the cost of charging (and getting the charger installed,) you're looking at a 13 year payback for a $45,000 car, 20 years for a $70k Tesla.

Most of the cars delivered now have the AMD chip.
If you're still worried, once you get your VIN, you can provide that to your SA and they can tell you if you have it.
When will an SA be assigned to you? I've had an order in over 2 months ago, and no live person has reached out to me. Do you get an SA assigned to you when you get the VIN?

When will an SA be assigned to you? I've had an order in over 2 months ago, and no live person has reached out to me. Do you get an SA assigned to you when you get the VIN?
It was almost 100% text based for me. Once a VIN was assigned, I replied back to one of the texts that asked if I was interested in trading in something for the Tesla, which I used to ask them to switch to financing (was cash before). During the processing of switching to DCU financing, there were a few emails with someone at the area SC getting particulars worked out (fedex tracking for the check from DCU, front/back images of the check), and then back to text letting me know on pickup day it was ready for me to collect.

Reactions: Investor9872
Quick calculation:
$4/gallon for gas, 20 miles per gallon, 15,000 miles per year = $3,000 per year in gas. Let's be generous and say $500 average per year in maintenance. That puts you at $3,500 per year. Ignoring the cost of charging (and getting the charger installed,) you're looking at a 13 year payback for a $45,000 car, 20 years for a $70k Tesla.
Wait... so you're comparing an ICE car, using only the cost of gas and maintenance, leaving out the minor cost of purchasing the vehicle and comparing THAT to how long it'll take to recoup the cost of purchasing a Tesla???

Not sure that's a fair comparison.

You're comparing running costs for the ICE vehicle to purchasing cost of the EV. You don't even calculate the fact that, at some point, the owner would sell their Tesla and recoup a portion of their initial investment. You can't SELL the gas and maintenance you pay for over the years.

Add the cost of the ICE vehicle to the cost of gas and maintenance, and compare that to the cost of a Tesla, electricity and maintenance for a fair comparison.

Honestly, I don't think most people who buy an EV do it strictly based on the savings.

Wait... so you're comparing an ICE car, using only the cost of gas and maintenance, leaving out the minor cost of purchasing the vehicle and comparing THAT to how long it'll take to recoup the cost of purchasing a Tesla???

You're comparing running costs for the ICE vehicle to purchasing cost of the EV. You don't even calculate the fact that, at some point, the owner would sell their Tesla and recoup a portion of their initial investment. You can't SELL the gas and maintenance you pay for over the years.

Add the cost of the ICE vehicle to the cost of gas and maintenance, and compare that to the cost of a Tesla, electricity and maintenance for a fair comparison.

Honestly, I don't think most people who buy an EV do it strictly based on the savings.
I wouldn't be too sure on that last aspect. The human mind can conveniently ignore facts and logic when they've made up their mind about something. Oh dear I've wandered off into the danger zone haven't I ;-)

• Funny

Like I said, it was a quick calculation. I intentionally ignored maintenance on the EV, acquisition costs, etc. My post was focused on the person who already has a car but thinks they’ll recoup the cost of an EV on gas savings. Your criticism also convenient ignores where I said “If you need to get a new car…”

Reactions: Corndart

I would HIGHLY recommend get the Tesla homelink installed. It’s not just your standard clicker replacement. It automatically opens garage when you approach and close the door when the car pulls out. I found this super convenient and one of the best accessory purchase for MYP. Because of the tight software integration it wouldn’t be fair to compare to other car’s regular homelink. Those are literally just clicker replacement.

Not at all.

We’re actually in the process of getting a new SUV anyway regardless and the use-case just solidify our choice for an EV.