Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is now REALLY a good time to buy a new Tesla? [Jan 2023 / April 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
everything i read was Model 3 was the end of this year and model Y end of next year. It's only reason i haven't bought. in 2011 i bought a hyundai elantra right after a redesign, i was at target and some workers were helping me put a flat screen in the car... and the guy commented that he just had bought a 2010 elantra the year before and was disappointed. If you recall Hyndai did insane upgrades from 2010 to 2011 on the design of the elantra. I don't want to be that guy.
I bought a 2018 Toyota Avalon before the 2019 redesign. Bought the car at $28,500 from MSRP of $39,900. I am that guy and I am still happy.

I bought a 2018 Toyota Avalon before the 2019 redesign. Bought the car at $28,500 from MSRP of $39,900. I am that guy and I am still happy.
That's awesome, i am sure i'd be happy too. I want FSD some day even if i cannot afford the 15k., So i want maximum tech i guess. I'm a carline dad, so looking cool isn't necessary for me haha. So maybe i should buy now. I dunno, i guess I'm still indecisive

The previous gen Model S was priced at the meme worthy price of $69,420 to clear out old inventory. The new Model S started in the mid 80s to lower 90s, so I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla takes a similar approach with the refreshed 3 and Y models.
That $69k for the model S, was that with some sort of incentive? I don’t recall the Model S ever being below $90k

Reactions: GoodKarma
That's awesome, i am sure i'd be happy too. I want FSD some day even if i cannot afford the 15k., So i want maximum tech i guess. I'm a carline dad, so looking cool isn't necessary for me haha. So maybe i should buy now. I dunno, i guess I'm still indecisive.

Cheapest price right now. If you don’t need a car right now and are on the waitlist for cyber truck, I would save and buy a cyber truck.

For me, it is nice to save gas money, but model Y lr is not all that special. Wish I could have gotten the performance but it didn’t qualify for the tax credit. And also, I be kicking myself in the butt bc of the price cut tesla has.

My neighbor paid 63k for a model y p during the covid days. But he did get …couple more thousand for his trade in, which had many years of life on it. But at least he can say to people,” my tesla”. Lol

If you do get model y or whatever, do not buy anything but tye performance. TRUST ME!!!!!! don’t like the big rims and speed rated performances tires, get new rims and tires. Don’t like the spoiler, you can take it off and sell it, probably on this forum. Lol.

It’s like getting a bmw 4 series and able to get the m4 for few thousand more. But it reality it’s like 30k more

I have an f250 super duty truck, but starting in August, I have to drive my son to school at least 3x a week in it. I did it last year a few times, gas is pure ass sitting for 35 mins in line at the school car line. So I thought the electric vehicle would be a better option since I am not towing with the truck. Planned to, but things changed. I also need to drive him 1-2 days a week to his doctor's appointments. The wife going back into the office... being forced to 2-3x a week also hurts, but she also was irritated that our nanny used the SUV every day last year for our son and school and dictated that this year... i need to use "my" vehicle...So heh complicated matters... So far with the truck I've taken him to his appointments twice, one time wasn't so bad, but last week literally between there and the park, i used 2 gallons of miles worth of gas, which was about $7 here. Still using her SUV this summer, lol

I have an f250 super duty truck, but starting in August, I have to drive my son to school at least 3x a week in it. I did it last year a few times, gas is pure ass sitting for 35 mins in line at the school car line. So I thought the electric vehicle would be a better option since I am not towing with the truck. Planned to, but things changed. I also need to drive him 1-2 days a week to his doctor's appointments. The wife going back into the office... being forced to 2-3x a week also hurts, but she also was irritated that our nanny used the SUV every day last year for our son and school and dictated that this year... i need to use "my" vehicle...So heh complicated matters... So far with the truck I've taken him to his appointments twice, one time wasn't so bad, but last week literally between there and the park, i used 2 gallons of miles worth of gas, which was about $7 here. Still using her SUV this summer, lol
Yeah, might be a good time. Lol.

If you are pretty handy and willing to the job, you can install the home charger yourself. I saw my install by electrician and it was not hard.

But if want to get it done it can range from $600-1100 depending how much the electrician wants to charge you for plugging in wires to your curvy it breaker box. There is probably a how to in this forum, and definitely on YouTube.

Then home charger is about $400. I don’t recall exact price. So after you get the car, there is tye install and charger cost. But your state might have an ev install credit.

Insurance on EV cars is much higher than gas cars. Other than that, it’s just a car that runs on electric.

We got rid of our mini van for tye model y.

Yeah, might be a good time. Lol.

If you are pretty handy and willing to the job, you can install the home charger yourself. I saw my install by electrician and it was not hard.

But if want to get it done it can range from $600-1100 depending how much the electrician wants to charge you for plugging in wires to your curvy it breaker box. There is probably a how to in this forum, and definitely on YouTube.

Then home charger is about $400. I don’t recall exact price. So after you get the car, there is tye install and charger cost. But your state might have an ev install credit.

Insurance on EV cars is much higher than gas cars. Other than that, it’s just a car that runs on electric.

We got rid of our mini van for tye model y.
No need to buy the “home charger”. Any electrician can install a NEMA 14-50 outlet, then wire to the fuse box. Cost is $300 for the whole thing here in California, but can be more if you need a ton of wiring. I simply had the outlet installed on the other side of my fuse box, in my garage, so less than 6ft of wiring. Then just use the mobile charger. Much simpler and cheaper than paying extra for all that. Not to mention, should you buy a non-Tesla car or sell the house, a NEMA outlet can be used for any electric car and electric clothes dryers, as a bonus. A Tesla charger can not

Yeah , i would just install the 14-50 or the 14-50 splitter since my dryer is just inside the garage door. if i do make an order, gotta start clearing out 1 side of my garage lol.. My halloween take up 1/4 of mine now, but i have a lot of space i can make still with getting rid of crap... I always keep so much stuff and then never use it heh.

No need to buy the “home charger”. Any electrician can install a NEMA 14-50 outlet, then wire to the fuse box. Cost is $300 for the whole thing here in California, but can be more if you need a ton of wiring. I simply had the outlet installed on the other side of my fuse box, in my garage, so less than 6ft of wiring. Then just use the mobile charger. Much simpler and cheaper than paying extra for all that. Not to mention, should you buy a non-Tesla car or sell the house, a NEMA outlet can be used for any electric car and electric clothes dryers, as a bonus. A Tesla charger can not
I paid $485 to have a professional do it, my material cost alone was $260 - and I bought a commercial grade NEMA 14-50 outlet, a commercial grade 50a breaker and #6 copper wire as recommended by Tesla, and that was NOT the most expensive materials. And mobile connectors aren't free anymore ($230) so all up it cost me $715 before tipping the electrician. My run was as simple as it gets, about 8 feet. That said, I went the NEMA 14-50 outlet route for the same reason you mention, more versatile option. That said, as more and more automakers adopt the NACS standard, a NACS wall charger might be more versatile as well.