Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is now REALLY a good time to buy a new Tesla? [Jan 2023 / April 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I only have the basic AP that comes with the car and I play around with it when there aren't cars behind me. But just in the first couple times using it on a simple highway it drastically cut speed by about 20km/h on me and I feel that is just too dangerous to cars behind me when it is totally random. I couldn't figure out any reason for the times it cut speed so I don't trust it. I let it drive me on country roads with no one around just for fun. I've actually had way less phantom brakes on those roads than on the highways that it is designed for. Since it is using hwy code on the country roads I'm sure FSD Beta would be miles better on those roads. If Tesla allowed FSD subscriptions in Canada I would certainly subscribe once in awhile just to try it out. Maybe one month every 6 months. But so far no subscription option in Canada.
This is very odd. My 2019 M3 Autopilot worked extremely well and had no phantom braking. My only issue with Autopilot is that it hugged the line while taking a bend in the road.

This is very odd. My 2019 M3 Autopilot worked extremely well and had no phantom braking. My only issue with Autopilot is that it hugged the line while taking a bend in the road.
Did you use it after radar was disabled in your car? I'm sure radar helped the system avoid phantom braking. I know many claim AP is better on Vision than Radar and for some things it probably is. But I would think phantom braking must be better with radar functioning??

Did you use it after radar was disabled in your car? I'm sure radar helped the system avoid phantom braking. I know many claim AP is better on Vision than Radar and for some things it probably is. But I would think phantom braking must be better with radar functioning??
Last Spring (sold it). It was one of the better things I liked about the M3.

Until Tesla adds these features back to a proper working order, I consider it non existent. I guess the extent on whether you care and use the features will determine if people will accept/purchase a Tesla. So many factors and individual needs and wants. Some may have a spouse that really need those features while others don't use them at all and find them obtrusive.

Just wanted to offer an update. After having received trade-in offers from Tesla and Carmax, I contacted several local dealers for appraisal. Surprisingly, nearly 1/3 of the dealers I called said they would not even consider buying a used Tesla. Some said it's their corporate decision because of the price volatility of Tesla cars and others said they were not able to sell their current Tesla inventory at all.

The best offer I received was close to $26k as compared to $22k from Carmax and $14k from Tesla. And I sold it immediately to that dealer. Also FYI, KBB appraisals for used Tesla cars are collapsing, the appraisal for my car has dropped ~2k in about 1 week.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Suns_PSD and tonyz1
Just wanted to offer an update. After having received trade-in offers from Tesla and Carmax, I contacted several local dealers for appraisal. Surprisingly, nearly 1/3 of the dealers I called said they would not even consider buying a used Tesla. Some said it's their corporate decision because of the price volatility of Tesla cars and others said they were not able to sell their current Tesla inventory at all.

The best offer I received was close to $26k as compared to $22k from Carmax and $14k from Tesla. And I sold it immediately to that dealer. Also FYI, KBB appraisals for used Tesla cars are collapsing, the appraisal for my car has dropped ~2k in about 1 week.
I saw that many places are refusing to buy Teslas. I'm wondering what is going on. The place where I got my MYP is not buying any Teslas for their fleet. After the 2022 MX and MS they have are gone, they are done.

I saw that many places are refusing to buy Teslas. I'm wondering what is going on. The place where I got my MYP is not buying any Teslas for their fleet. After the 2022 MX and MS they have are gone, they are done.

The whole resale Tesla marketplace got way overcooked - folks were buying them for absurd prices and then flipping them for even more.

That collapsed as reality returned and Tesla dropped the prices on new cars.

Right now, we're in correction-time where a lot of resellers/dealers/whatever were left holding major Tesla inventory when the music stopped. They're horrified, and for now want nothing to do with any more Tesla inventory, hence resale prices are super crappy.

This too shall pass. As auction prices go thru the floor, opportunity will spring anew. Brave players - perhaps the smarter ones who were not as caught off guard by the return of reality will see below-long-term-market prices and start buying.

It'll probably take a few months. But we should reach something closer to natural balance, where used cars are worth moderately-less than new ones on the order of 10% per year used depending on condition, miles, and of course brand.

I am facing a similar dilemma. I actually sold my old CPO Model S last May and we have been making do as a one car family since then. Fun fact: I sold my Model S to Carvana - just plugged in that same VIN yesterday and the current offer would be HALF what they paid me in November - score one for me.

Anyway, when the prices dropped on the Y I ordered last week...delivery date is between 01/29 and 02/12. I also qualify for the rebate. However, I hate the thought of "just missing" a potentially significant upgrade with the HD radar and potentially HW 4.0. I won't be getting FSD, but honestly the elimination of the darn parking sensors really irks me. I mean we use those dang things every time we pull into the garage (and more) AND I can easily see the whole "Tesla Vision" situation (particularly with the current cameras and no radar) being a marginal replacement for true parking sensors...much like cameras are a poor replacement for a rain sensor, and the lack of radar appears to result in more phantom braking, etc. If it were JUST FSD or maybe even JUST AUTOPILOT, I might not care, but the parking sensors get used a LOT.

Heck, when I got that old 2013 Model S I referenced, I held out for an "August" build since that's when they introduced parking sensors for the S!

Darn you first world problems!
Well, the plot thickens. I ordered a RED Model Y a day or so after the price drop. Yesterday's $500 price increase would put the red cars $500 over the $55K limit for the rebate. So, changing my mind now and buying later suddenly has very different ramifications if I want to keep the red!
If I defer delivery, I'm wondering if I lose the "old" price???

Reactions: Suns_PSD and voxel
Well, the plot thickens. I ordered a RED Model Y a day or so after the price drop. Yesterday's $500 price increase would put the red cars $500 over the $55K limit for the rebate. So, changing my mind now and buying later suddenly has very different ramifications if I want to keep the red!
If I defer delivery, I'm wondering if I lose the "old" price???
How long are you looking to defer? Tesla doesn’t allow holds for very long these days. You can reject your first car but likely will get another VIN within a few weeks. Eventually they will force you to take delivery or lose deposit and if you lose deposit your new order won’t qualify for the credit if red paint. Other option is order red 7 seater but at $4K that would eat up a lot of the credit…maybe all of the credit if it gets reduced to $3750 in March.

How long are you looking to defer? Tesla doesn’t allow holds for very long these days. You can reject your first car but likely will get another VIN within a few weeks. Eventually they will force you to take delivery or lose deposit and if you lose deposit your new order won’t qualify for the credit if red paint. Other option is order red 7 seater but at $4K that would eat up a lot of the credit…maybe all of the credit if it gets reduced to $3750 in March.
My deferral would be just in hopes of getting some news on the parking sensor situation (i.e. when will tesla vision emulate them, when is hd radar coming and will it be used to support parking, etc). Unfortunately, getting that news in the next few days or weeks is probably unlikely.

My deferral would be just in hopes of getting some news on the parking sensor situation (i.e. when will tesla vision emulate them, when is hd radar coming and will it be used to support parking, etc). Unfortunately, getting that news in the next few days or weeks is probably unlikely.
Given the location of the sensors, don't expect it to perfectly replace USS. If you're a normal 50th percentile competent driver, you should be able to easily back into most spots without issues with the cameras. Where the issue is the front, with no cameras or any way to visualize that area. There's no good way to gauge depth besides looking at the cars next to you and developing a sense of that over time but expect some bumps along the way.

Radar might solve it but good luck with the Tesla guessing game.

Some folks may share their Tesla with other drivers. And some of these drivers do operate the auto in a safe manner. However, their skill in parking, especially in a garage, is below average. And that is a concern because fixing a Tesla is extremely expensive.

Everyone needs to understand that decisions on accepting the delivery may be dependent on personal scenarios.

To be honest the USS have some value but most of the time are yelling at me to stop when I know I'm not going to hit the wall, car or pillar in my parking garages.
The backup/side camera view is all you really need if backing in.
The USS does help with the front. I use it when pulling up to the car in front of me on the ferry as they want you to get really close to make room for more cars.
But most of the time the beeping USS is annoying. I turned off the beep and only look at the distance numbers in those few limited scenarios.

To be honest the USS have some value but most of the time are yelling at me to stop when I know I'm not going to hit the wall, car or pillar in my parking garages.
The backup/side camera view is all you really need if backing in.
The USS does help with the front. I use it when pulling up to the car in front of me on the ferry as they want you to get really close to make room for more cars.
But most of the time the beeping USS is annoying. I turned off the beep and only look at the distance numbers in those few limited scenarios.
The distance numbers is the biggest loss IMO

Well, had hoped there might be a tidbit about the radar on the earnings call...and we MAY have gotten it, but not the best news. Basically, Elon indicated it would not be economically feasible to retrofit the HW 4.0 to HW 3.0 cars. That sounds like more than just swap the camera module and add a radar under the front bumper. Heck, it could be changes to fender camera mounting locations or whatever. Regardless, if I accept delivery of my ordered Model Y, I'm going to have to come to terms with never getting any of the new hardware...and a likely middling implementation of "camera only" parking sensors.