Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is now REALLY a good time to buy a new Tesla? [Jan 2023 / April 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, had hoped there might be a tidbit about the radar on the earnings call...and we MAY have gotten it, but not the best news. Basically, Elon indicated it would not be economically feasible to retrofit the HW 4.0 to HW 3.0 cars. That sounds like more than just swap the camera module and add a radar under the front bumper. Heck, it could be changes to fender camera mounting locations or whatever. Regardless, if I accept delivery of my ordered Model Y, I'm going to have to come to terms with never getting any of the new hardware...and a likely middling implementation of "camera only" parking sensors.
I am leaning toward delaying my purchase until HW4 is guaranteed. I have a deposit on a MYLR, but I may cancel if I find out it will come with HW3 and no ultrasonic sensors. I plan on keeping the car for many years, so waiting some months for HW4 is not a problem. I know prices and tax credits could change if I delay, so this is not an easy decision.

I am leaning toward delaying my purchase until HW4 is guaranteed. I have a deposit on a MYLR, but I may cancel if I find out it will come with HW3 and no ultrasonic sensors. I plan on keeping the car for many years, so waiting some months for HW4 is not a problem. I know prices and tax credits could change if I delay, so this is not an easy decision.
I am 50/50 on whether I am going to cancel. If I drove over 13,000 miles a year, I would definitely jump on board with no hesitation regardless of the lack of safety features. I just don't drive as much any more so it is difficult for me to justify spending $48,000 for a car.

Tesla really screwed up on the radar/sensors. I think they know this and will readd in radar sometime later. But for the current batches, they won't have them. And that really sux.

Last edited:
Reactions: tm3lrawd
I am 50/50 on whether I am going to cancel. If I drove over 13,000 a year, I would definitely jump on board with no hesitation regardless of the lack of safety features. I just don't drive as much any more so it is difficult for me to justify spending $48,000 for a car.

Tesla really screwed up on the radar/sensors. I think they know they know this and will readd in radar sometime later. But for the current batches, they won't have them. And that really sux.
I would absolutely not buy until HW4 unless you need / qualify for the $7,500 and even then I'd still consider waiting.

On the earnings call they said HW4 going to CT first. When do you realistically think CT is even going to be on sale? HW4 in MY is still going to be a long wait. But could certainly be worth waiting for if you don't really need/want the car for another 6 months +.

Just decide and be happy with your decision but those last year delaying their orders b/c they thought HW4 was coming out in January? haha I knew that was not happening. I am a new Tesla owner as of a few weeks.

Another example of Tesla continuing to screw people. Let's see.. Removing the mobile connector from orders, removing USS and radar, decreasing prices by $13k, no hardware 4, opening up the SC network(we will see how that goes lol), premium connectivity I forget but I am grandfathered in what it was.. What else? I am sure there is more to come since Elon stated he wanted more mass production over price meaning that he will continue to skimp and remove things from the car so he can keep delivering them to people.

Reactions: Suns_PSD
Many of you are excited about the recent price cut on Tesla models and are ready to bite the bait. And those who had purchased their cars last year were whining about the massive price reduction. But, as the title says, is now really a good time to buy a new Tesla?

Here is my story for you to think about. I placed an order for a white 7-seater MYLR in August 2022 and the price was $70,990. Now, the price lowers to $58,990 after the price cut. Considering the “potential” tax credit (not sure if we will qualify given the income limit), my savings from waiting till now is $19,750 (I was contacted by Tesla for delivery in November and December, but I insisted to not remove the hold).

Perhaps, this makes you to believe that I have managed to save nearly $20k, but this is not true. Shortly after the order was placed in August 2022, I went to Carmax and got $40,000 for trading in my 2018 M3LR. I did not take the offer. We all know this is a big mistake by now. The next time I got the car appraised by Carmax in early December, the offer was down to $27,000, in a little over 3 months. Just when you think it cannot go lower, I was given only $22,000 yesterday from Carmax, another $5,000 decrease in a month. You think this is the end of story? No, today, Tesla gave me a trade in estimate for only $14,000!

Overall, my M3LR has lost $18,000 by Carmax estimate and $26,000 by Tesla’s own estimate over 5 months! I am sure those with newer models will suffer larger losses in their trade in values. Considering the price cut, I am saving only ~$2,000 compared to last August and I will need to wait till next year to figure out if I will be able to get the tax credit. If I were to go with Tesla trade in, I am effectively losing $6,000 due to the ridiculous decline in the trade in values.

I was assigned an VIN two days ago and was given till tomorrow to schedule delivery. I am thinking of canceling the order. Based on the Tesla new car inventory chart, this massive cut in new car price has not driven the inventory down much. I am predicting an end of quarter sale push in March or another round of price cut in a couple of months. What your choice will be if you were in my shoes?

And if I schedule a delivery, can I cancel it later (when it approaches the delivery date) with no further obligation other than losing the $250 order fee? I have not yet decline an VIN, can I still decline the VIN and get kicked back to the line after I schedule delivery?
No car is a good investment unless it is a classic. Remember, a car is an expense. Find the best price you can and go with it.

No car is a good investment unless it is a classic. Remember, a car is an expense. Find the best price you can and go with it.
Its crazy - I see ads all the time for people selling their overpriced paid too much cars with 'take over payments.' I don't buy a car based on what the payments will be - the road to hell is paved with easy monthly payments!

My opinion? ANY time is a good time to buy a Tesla. My Tesla is not an investment. It is a car. Best one I’ve ever had. Worth every penny.

Well - I couldn’t take driving ICE for my second car any more. Sheesh …… after having a MYLR5 since May 2021, the driving experience with our little Honda HR-V has been completely ruined. Used to think it was a nice little car, but now I’m fed up with:
  • Buying gas (not that it uses much …. Just the yucky gas station/pump experience)
  • Horrible performance (Continuously Variable Transmission + small engine = 0-60 in 10 seconds)
  • Vibration and noise
  • Steering the car myself
  • Dragging it in for regular maintenance and oil changes
  • Terrible navigation system with unintelligible display
  • Uncomfortable seats
  • Using the brake pedal
  • Remembering to turn off the engine before I get out
  • Buttons and knobs everywhere
  • Etc

Just put more of my money where my mouth is. Ordered a M3RW today.

Reactions: Dennisis
Its crazy - I see ads all the time for people selling their overpriced paid too much cars with 'take over payments.' I don't buy a car based on what the payments will be - the road to hell is paved with easy monthly payments!
I agree 100%. I've bought every car I've owned in cash. I just abhor debt. I understand that there is some opportunity lost as the money could be invested elsewhere, but frankly, it's a drop in the bucket for me. I'd rather have the ease of not dealing with financing paperwork and simply owning things outright.