Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is now REALLY a good time to buy a new Tesla? [Jan 2023 / April 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Luckily investing isn’t based on single day variables. Lol. Based on year to date the smart investor sees the future for Tesla.
As someone who stakes all of my net worth on day trading and sh*tcoin cryptos, I disagree. As Warren Buffet always says "Day trading and sh*tcoin crypto investments are the only way to true wealth."

price cuts again today

"
Tesla Inc. slashed prices of its Model S sedan and Model X SUV in the US late Sunday night by $5,000 and $10,000 respectively as the company seeks to goose demand in the final month of the quarter.

The Model S all-wheel drive is now $89,990, down 5.2% from $94,990, according to the company’s website. The Model S Plaid is now $109,990, down 4.3% from $114,990.

The Model X all-wheel drive is now $99,990, down 9.1% from $109,990. The Model X Plaid is now $109,990, down 8.3% from $119,990."

Reactions: WyoDude
There's probably another $10k price drop that's easily justifiable if demand is indeed softening at the high end of luxury (BMW iX MSRP is at $90k)
I asked my wife to take a hard look at the iX and she said no way. The front design was a no go for her. Reminder her buck teeth. I went ahead and sat in one and the seats suck for me. Not even close to the seats in the X or our current BMW. Hard pass for us. Most of the IX looks pretty decent but that front end is not pretty.

I asked my wife to take a hard look at the iX and she said no way. The front design was a no go for her. Reminder her buck teeth. I went ahead and sat in one and the seats suck for me. Not even close to the seats in the X or our current BMW. Hard pass for us. Most of the IX looks pretty decent but that front end is not pretty.
I tend to agree about the looks of the ix (just
Picked it as an example) but from a pricing perspective I think there’s a lot more price they can cut based on where other premium suvs land.

Model Ys we’re at rock bottom for sure.

Reactions: GoVols!
Well I took delivery of my 2023 Model Y in the last week of Dec for 60K and now it's worth like 44k....

Doesn't matter if you aren't selling
But if you are selling, why did you buy in the first place?
There are a lot of Teslas around, but so are the bmw's, Audi's, etc
The value is determined by a lot of factors. One of them is driven by supply and demand. Unfortunately, you can't control that.

We are now back to Jan 13th pricedropageddon pricing. MYLR starts $53k.

The MY AWD can also now be ordered via the online configurator - starting at $49,990 (50k):

1680883972887.png

Reactions: WyoDude
Looks like the best time to buy a Tesla these days are at the beginning of the quarter when they deplete their last quarter demand. The introduction of the standard AWD model Y is what they should've done in January rather than destroy the value of MYLR and MYP overnight for those buyers - would have not pissed off so many Tesla buyers while generating the demand they wanted. I'm surprised by how close the price points are for all three models - should decouple pricing more between the MY Std and MYLR.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
Agreed but probably gives them flexibility to de-couple pricing in the future - raise MYLR prices while keeping standard prices flat. That or their pricing team is just inexperienced which I wouldn't be surprised about. I'm not sure the number of price cuts in reaction to demand is a feature, feels more like a bug.

Some people don't care about 50 miles of range for $3000. If the 4680 batteries maintain a better charge over the years, it may even cancel out that advantage!
Do the 4680 batteries have charge issues where you need to maintain them between 20 to 80% or can you keep it at 100% charged? I find the real world usable range on my MYLR is much less than advertised because only 60% of the charge(200 miles) is available to me normally for battery preservation efforts.