Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is ordering page down for new Roadster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been trying to order a new Roadster for days but it keeps saying payment declined. Tried different cards and even spoke to Amex - they say Tesla puts the charge through and then immediately reverses it.

I don't know how to reach Tesla to ask them to help. Anyone else having this issue (tried 5 cards, it's not a card problem)

Unlisted, but you can still manually go to the page and reserve. @Paulaner

• Informative
Reactions: Drew-MS and cpaull
Upvote 0
I have been trying to order a new Roadster for days but it keeps saying payment declined. Tried different cards and even spoke to Amex - they say Tesla puts the charge through and then immediately reverses it.

I don't know how to reach Tesla to ask them to help. Anyone else having this issue (tried 5 cards, it's not a card problem)
I had this issue ordering items through the Tesla shop. I tried 3 different cards and more than 10 orders, and contacted all three banks when Tesla stated they were declined. All three banks said exactly what you said. The charge is submitted to them, they approve it, and Tesla immediately reverses it.

Seems something is going on with their payment processing system.

Reactions: Drew-MS
Upvote 0
Unlisted, but you can still manually go to the page and reserve. @Paulaner

I think it’s strange that Tesla is still accepting $50k deposits. It’s too much money considering it could be years longer if ever.. I was tempted to place a deposit in 2017 but decided to wait. When I see the Roadster reappear on the drop down menu on the website then I’ll have some confidence to reconsider.

God bless those of you whom placed a deposit 6 years ago (or paid in full for Founder’s Edition) and still hanging in there. It was waaay too long 2 years ago (pandemic or not) but at this point it’s just ridiculous. If it was $5k, then no big deal but $50k is too much.

Reactions: DukeofURL
Upvote 0
Well, while it's not confirmed, for all those who placed a deposit when it listed the price $200K/$250K that was an awesome move if you could afford it...

Couple of thing to note:
(1) There is no more Founders Edition reservations. Apparently all 1000 units for sales are sold out a few years ago.
(2) The reservation page hasn't shown a price since 2021 I believe, so those who place a reservation once the price was removed, we really have no idea what the price will be for those reservations. We can presume that those who placed a reservation when the price was listed may actually get that price. Those who have an issue with this statement are those who placed a reservation without knowing the price, or those who haven't placed an order for a Roadster at all. We can watch what happens when the CyberTruck launches to get a better idea of what will happen with the reservation holder price.

For those who are paying for a $200K+ car, the $5K Apple Pay + $45K Wire Transfer is a drop in the bucket for them. Sure, they could have invested in Tesla stock, and I betcha they already did, so giving Tesla the $50K is nothing for them.

Upvote 0
Well, while it's not confirmed, for all those who placed a deposit when it listed the price $200K/$250K that was an awesome move if you could afford it...

Couple of thing to note:
(1) There is no more Founders Edition reservations. Apparently all 1000 units for sales are sold out a few years ago.
(2) The reservation page hasn't shown a price since 2021 I believe, so those who place a reservation once the price was removed, we really have no idea what the price will be for those reservations. We can presume that those who placed a reservation when the price was listed may actually get that price. Those who have an issue with this statement are those who placed a reservation without knowing the price, or those who haven't placed an order for a Roadster at all. We can watch what happens when the CyberTruck launches to get a better idea of what will happen with the reservation holder price.

For those who are paying for a $200K+ car, the $5K Apple Pay + $45K Wire Transfer is a drop in the bucket for them. Sure, they could have invested in Tesla stock, and I betcha they already did, so giving Tesla the $50K is nothing for them.
At this point, the deposit amount isn’t the biggest issue. It’s the fact that Tesla will still accept the $50k deposit and there’s still absolutely no production timeline in sight. The entire ordering process for the Roadster is just really bad business.
Yeah I agree. The folks that put deposits in 2017 definitely should get the car for $200k even if it starts at $300k.
* I’m sure plenty of people here can afford $200k and even if the $50k is a drop in the bucket, that doesn’t mean I’d want Tesla sitting with my $50k for 8 years with no interest. We know it’s gonna be at least 8 years from 2017 when it’s all said and done.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
At this point, the deposit amount isn’t the biggest issue. It’s the fact that Tesla will still accept the $50k deposit and there’s still absolutely no production timeline in sight. The entire ordering process for the Roadster is just really bad business.
Yeah I agree. The folks that put deposits in 2017 definitely should get the car for $200k even if it starts at $300k.
* I’m sure plenty of people here can afford $200k and even if the $50k is a drop in the bucket, that doesn’t mean I’d want Tesla sitting with my $50k for 8 years with no interest. We know it’s gonna be at least 8 years from 2017 when it’s all said and done.
That money dumped into an S&P 500 index fund back then would be worth 2X that now...

Potentially if this thing is ever released anybody who has a locked in price (if that's a thing--it should be for those who paid in full, at least) could resell for significantly more.

Upvote 0
Not given up... Decided to order an ICE ('24 Porsche 911 Carrera T) while we wait for the Next Gen Roadster to arrive. I need something to hold me over, plus I got an allocation for a 7MT 911-T with the options that I want. It may be a collectors item (in the distant future), if the 992.2 goes hybrid with MY25... but we won't know until mid next year hopefully.

Upvote 1
Not given up... Decided to order an ICE ('24 Porsche 911 Carrera T) while we wait for the Next Gen Roadster to arrive. I need something to hold me over, plus I got an allocation for a 7MT 911-T with the options that I want. It may be a collectors item (in the distant future), if the 992.2 goes hybrid with MY25... but we won't know until mid next year hopefully.
That a great choice especially with the 7MT.

Reactions: Drew-MS and zanary
Upvote 0

Have they given more updates on a release date? I don't have 45k right now for a reservation lol but I am curious on the retail price and release date

Upvote 0
Elon had mentioned that in the month of November he would share the final design or details on it with manufacturing starting possibly in the spring and deliveries next fall. With the current situation out there and remarks about inflation and interest rates, I suspect that we may be looking at another year delay which probably makes sense. Interest rates are so high that those who were going to take out a car loan at 2 or 3% about 2 years ago won't be willing to do it at 7% or 8% and even that banks would require some crazy income to debt ratio in todays world...

Reactions: aerodyne
Upvote 0
Hard to have much sympathy for the YouTubers, esp. since some of them (Ben Sullins) even turned against Tesla. I wonder if Elon is holding back on production just to spite them.

I've also considered what zanary is doing and just getting my deposit refunded and settling for an ICE sports car, maybe a Cayman GT4?

Upvote 0
I've also considered what zanary is doing and just getting my deposit refunded and settling for an ICE sports car, maybe a Cayman GT4?
I didn't ask for a deposit refund. I left my Roadster deposit there and ordered an 911 Carrera T spec'ed the way I want it... I figured two things:

(1) Ruby Star Neo on the 911 Carrera T last appeared in the 90s, and it's going away in early 2024, so it may be another 30 years for it to appear.
(2) 2024 may be the end of the 911 Carrera T.

I figured that if anything it's possible that the 911 Carrera T I spec'ed out will be worth the same if not more once the Next Gen Roadster arrives.

Plus my deposit was put in and accepted when the Roadster had a price on their web site so it's a slim chance but I'm hoping they will honor the original $200K/$250K prices for those deposits from 6 years ago 😀

Upvote 0
Hard to have much sympathy for the YouTubers, esp. since some of them (Ben Sullins) even turned against Tesla. I wonder if Elon is holding back on production just to spite them.

YouTubers like Bjorn and Kim and MKB should not be lumped together with the few like Ben and Rich.

I doubt Elon cares about YouTubers enough to delay a new model to spite them. I doubt he even cares about the Roadster II anymore. Too busy with other things, as we have seen.

If the Sapphire turns out to be a hit, Elons Ego might get the better of him, and might light a fire under the Roadster II. Too bad Peter is too much of a gentleman to taunt or Troll Tesla.

Upvote 1
YouTubers like Bjorn and Kim and MKB should not be lumped together with the few like Ben and Rich.

I doubt Elon cares about YouTubers enough to delay a new model to spite them. I doubt he even cares about the Roadster II anymore. Too busy with other things, as we have seen.

If the Sapphire turns out to be a hit, Elons Ego might get the better of him, and might light a fire under the Roadster II. Too bad Peter is too much of a gentleman to taunt or Troll Tesla.
Lol yeah it would be great if Peter taunted Elon and we ended up getting the Roadster sooner because of it.

Upvote 0