Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is P100D over 6,000 lbs GVWR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are rumors that P100D with factory third row seats is over 6,000 lbs. GVWR (for Section 179 tax purposes). I couldn't find any VIN stickers to confirm that. Below is a vin sticker for P100D w/o 3rd row seats and it's very close - 5996 lbs. It would be great if a one of a lucky owners of P100D w/ 3rd row posts a VIN sticker below (you can cover your VIN number).

Thanks!

Attachments

• p100d.jpg
    p100d.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 636
That's what I was talking about - a Performance Model X with third row.

Though you put this in the S forum...

Did you mean a Performance Model S with rear facing child seats?

I certainly didn't get that from your original post, which doesn't say anything except P100D that applies to both.

There are rumors that P100D with factory third row seats is over 6,000 lbs. GVWR (for Section 179 tax purposes). I couldn't find any VIN stickers to confirm that. Below is a vin sticker for P100D w/o 3rd row seats and it's very close - 5996 lbs. It would be great if a one of a lucky owners of P100D w/ 3rd row posts a VIN sticker below (you can cover your VIN number).

Thanks!
I see you are not getting an answer but if MS100 is four pounds shy and a subframe is required in addition to rear facing seats then it should exceed 6k lbs. The tax regulation is detailed and may not apply without a flat load floor behind rear seats to qualify as a "truck" for 179 if I remember correctly. Also if Tesla does not publish that GVW number with the rear seats installed it could trigger a data mismatch audit from IRS (if they cross check that data point).

I'm under impression that is was purposely rated 5 lbs. short of 6,000 because Model S is technically a sedan/hatch, not an SUV. I believe Section 179 states - SUV, Vans or Trucks. That's why I would like to see VIN sticker for Model S P100D to verify that it's still 5996 even with 3rd row.

Honestly, Tesla should have put in any amenity of 5 pounds so that it would be over 6k pounds and self-employed folks could take the 100% deduction.. Falling short by 4 pounds is seriously lame

I'm under impression that is was purposely rated 5 lbs. short of 6,000 because Model S is technically a sedan/hatch, not an SUV. I believe Section 179 states - SUV, Vans or Trucks. That's why I would like to see VIN sticker for Model S P100D to verify that it's still 5996 even with 3rd row.

Sorry just says SUV definition that should include an S.

Last edited:
I'm sure it's under 6K GVWR by design.

The S is clearly a sedan more than a utility vehicle. It'd be even less of one if it had rear seats.

If you plan to go this route, just get an X.

See my earlier post. The regs have a multi part test on what a "truck" means. It may qualify due to ability to create level load floor behind first row but you need to dig through the needlessly complicated regulation bc most CPA don't do this level research and many others have ignorant opinions.

• Helpful
Reactions: Sedoy
Sedoy - you should also look at your auto registration. Your car is almost certainly registered/classified as a Sedan. SUVs and trucks pay different fees (in most states) because of the heavier weight. As others have speculated, it is no coincidence that the Model S is under 6,000 pounds. Going over that puts it in a different category for a ton of things (to include insurance). If you are self-employed and keep good records AND your utilization is for greater than 50% business, you are in good shape anyway from a tax perspective. Everyone's tax strategy is different and people have different risk tolerance, but you may want to be careful in asking questions -- especially of the IRS as you can open a much bigger can of worms than any savings you get by classifying your sedan as an SUV...