Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Phantom Braking Still a Problem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am very interested in a Model Y, but Autopilot is very important to me as I use a similar feature on our Palisade all the time. However, I want a car with a system that is reliable (as is the Palisade system). It appears Tesla still has not solved the phantom braking issue?
I bought a new Model Y with performance and full self-driving packages. On a recent trip through the Southwest, I had to give up using both TACC and Autopilot because of phantom braking. I rebooted the car and it didn't help. It did it without any vehicles around and one time it did it with a car behind me narrowly avoiding a collision. Autopilot did not recognize a car entering the highway via an onramp while I was in the right lane. The vehicle was not observing the right of way and the car alerted me to an impending collision and I had to move quickly into the left lane to prevent an accident. Less than satisfactory.

Sigh, happened twice on the way home from work yesterday. Both instances my lane was empty and I was overtaking a vehicle in the adjacent lane. HARD deceleration even though that vehicle showed no movement toward my lane. Then my Y hangs back behind that vehicle for about twenty seconds before it speeds up and finally passes. 2021.24.3

Your still too new to this game that Tesla plays. The service centers can indeed contact the mother ship and give them your findings or believes as they might call it. This forum does not belong to Tesla if that's what you thought. They closed down the forum that they use to have quite some time ago, but they didn't go there much either.
I just reported my observations to my service center. They said that they will transfer it to the mother ship. I just hope that this can help reduce a kind of phantom brake! Who knows?

Just adding my experience here. In over 5,000 miles (took delivery on 6/10/21, MY Performance, no FSD), I've had one instance of phantom braking the first week I had the Y. The Y slowed from 65 mph to 50 mph before I took over. After the first week of ownership, the Y got it's first software update and a few more updates since then (current version is 4.21.3). In the past month and a half, we've taken three 1,000+ mile road trips using Autopilot with no issues. The phantom braking hasn't happened since that first instance. On highways, I set my distance to 4. I've used Autopilot on various highways in Northern, Central, and Southern California. I try to keep the cameras clean so there's a clear view.

For those having issues, hope you get it resolved soon. The Y really is a fantastic road trip car!

Reactions: jpfive
I have a new Y LR and just completed a 1400 mile road trip. I experienced multiple occurrences of phantom braking. Most were mild slow downs, but a couple were hard braking. The worst was on the return trip on I5 south of Redding when I was in the right lane with no other vehicles nearby and the Tesla suddenly braked hard from 75 mph down to about 40 before I stepped on the gas pedal to get it to resume. If there had been a large truck that could not react rapidly behind me I would certainly have been rear-ended. My Y still has the factory firmware which is 2021.11.103 with no update after almost 3 weeks. I'm hoping that updated firmware will mitigate this problem.

I’ve had my Tesla Model 3 since June and phantom braking has been a problem since the first day. I drive approximately 500-800 miles a week (and have for 30+ years) on 2 lane and 4 lane divided hiways. I have kept a record of braking instances since Sept., so service can investigate. However thus far service tells me everything is fine. There are times when I may have a hard deceleration 5-6X on a 125. Mile trip. ascending a slight incline, shadows, tar patches, curves, vehicles merging. I was so excited about getting a Tesla and am so disappointed. I am not referring to a slight deceleration when I am behind a slower moving vehicle. I experience hard 8-10mile per hour deceleration in an instant.

I’ve had my Tesla Model 3 since June and phantom braking has been a problem since the first day. I drive approximately 500-800 miles a week (and have for 30+ years) on 2 lane and 4 lane divided hiways. I have kept a record of braking instances since Sept., so service can investigate. However thus far service tells me everything is fine. There are times when I may have a hard deceleration 5-6X on a 125. Mile trip. ascending a slight incline, shadows, tar patches, curves, vehicles merging. I was so excited about getting a Tesla and am so disappointed. I am not referring to a slight deceleration when I am behind a slower moving vehicle. I experience hard 8-10mile per hour deceleration in an instant.
There is nothing really that Service can do. It's not a piece of hardware that can be fixed or software that can be updated. It's just the way the system works at times. It's beta, so.... I wonder - does it always do it at the same spots, or does it 'learn' and start to not do it at those same spots over time?

(And just BTW, this is the Model Y forum - not that you're not welcome, but there is a Model 3 forum)

There is nothing really that Service can do. It's not a piece of hardware that can be fixed or software that can be updated. It's just the way the system works at times. It's beta, so.... I wonder - does it always do it at the same spots, or does it 'learn' and start to not do it at those same spots over time?

(And just BTW, this is the Model Y forum - not that you're not welcome, but there is a Model 3 forum)
I looked for a “phantom braking” discussion, and this forum is what was presented. Yes, I was aware it was a model Y forum. i Have not been able to identify the “same spot”, that would make it easier.