Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Phantom Braking Still a Problem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
THIS.

Over the weekend I was driving on a I88 (2 lane divided for the most part) from Davenport to Chicago and while cruising in the right lane and passing by every on ramp the car would shift right due to the widened lane. Would be nice if the car stayed anchored to the center line instead of the right lane marker in those situations because some on ramp shifts were abrupt enough that I had to take over to prevent a high speed zig-zag.

It is shocking that they aren't smart enough to program AP to stay closer to the left lane marker in that case. With all the "observing" the cameras are doing, you would think they could easily do that. So either they aren't observing as well as they want us to think, or the people programming AP have literally never driven a car.

It is shocking that they aren't smart enough to program AP to stay closer to the left lane marker in that case. With all the "observing" the cameras are doing, you would think they could easily do that. So either they aren't observing as well as they want us to think, or the people programming AP have literally never driven a car.
I run into the problem of veering to the right fairly regularly. There must be an AI solution for it, though I believe favoring the left side is not it. They are likely avoiding this due to the inherit risk of head on collisions. On a divided road, this is less of an issue. Though if not divded, a head-on/corner to corner collision is the most fatal type of accident that can occur.

It did it again on the way home. This time the only car within 200 yards of me was the car right behind me. My car brake checked him for no apparent reason. So I’d have to conclude that phantom braking is still a problem. It wouldn’t prevent me from buying a Tesla, the complete rewrite is coming...

Mine is about 3 weeks old and I HATE the car when it comes to phantom braking. I get it so often I really don't want to use AP/FSD at all. Wish I could just turn off braking and keep cruise and steering. I put Open Pilot on my old model 3 and loved it. No BS. I regret paying $10k for ths limited crap we have now.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Not sure if this is truly phantom braking or not, but it scared me the first time it happened. Sometimes when a car is crossing the road ahead of me, at right angles to my direction of travel, and when I can see clearly that it will have finished crossing long before I get there, my car nevertheless seems to panic and brakes really hard. If someone is following me too closely, this is very concerning.

I guess my car's sensors may feel like the crossing car ahead is a roadblock, and because they're not sensing left-to-right (or vice versa) motion, it's understandable. But still scary.

It seems to be getting better in my experience. Happens less often. The getting dragged into the right side on ramp is also a problem, and equally dangerous.

Yes, for me this is the worst aspect of Autopilot right now. Every freaking time you're in the right lane on a highway and a merging on-ramp combines with your lane, making the lane much wider, my car aims right for the middle of it. You'd think this would be pretty trivial to fix overall -- I wish they'd use the map data to see this is a merging on-ramp situation and hug the lane markers on your left rather than trying to sit in the middle of what it thinks is the lane. Can't believe this hasn't been addressed yet, as it's so easily repeatable and so annoying.

Reminds me when Autopilot was new and the car would often dive towards an off-ramp if there was no dashed line separating the right lane from the ramp. That was quite dangerous and it still took them too long to fix. This on-ramp behavior isn't as dangerous, but I really hope they address it soon. Assuming they are still doing any significant work on Autopilot versus FSD.

Reactions: 68882
Not sure if this is truly phantom braking or not, but it scared me the first time it happened. Sometimes when a car is crossing the road ahead of me, at right angles to my direction of travel, and when I can see clearly that it will have finished crossing long before I get there, my car nevertheless seems to panic and brakes really hard. If someone is following me too closely, this is very concerning.

I guess my car's sensors may feel like the crossing car ahead is a roadblock, and because they're not sensing left-to-right (or vice versa) motion, it's understandable. But still scary.

This is the most aggravating situation for unwarranted braking for me also. The other situation is any vehicle approaching the road from an intersecting road - especially if it is crowding the stop line or approaching it at an aggressive speed. I won't call it phantom braking though, as I can anticipate it. For the time being I just guard the right stalk in these instances so I can disengage quickly. I have to say that the system is getting better though. The more we use it, the better it gets.

YES.... still happening.

It has been happening for me intermittently when I am on cruise control and autopilot. (No fsd).

I drive on interstate everyday. It used to happen occasionally in a empty highway with no cars in front of me. Two occasions after I crossed an overbridge where the road was dipping down and climbing up. The other times open road, 2 lane, interstate no cars in front of me.

3 weeks ago my Y braked suddenly in an open road with a car behind me, fortunately I was not rear ended.

I took it to SC. Fortunately I did a bug report for the last 4 episodes (initially I was not doing it). They obviously couldn’t find anything wrong and asked me to provide a map location of the incidents. Then reprogrammed my cameras.

Still happening. After reprogramming, even though I have set 1 car length for following the car ahead, my Y is slowing down 3-4 car lengths before a car ahead of me. Have not had the phantom braking yet, but hesitantncy seen.

SC answer no fix, Tesla software is a work in progress so bear with it.

Last edited:
New to forum. Have owned my FSD Y for 3 months. I am concerned about display showing green lights and warning that braking will occur 100% of the time. I drive with FSD and all options on, because if Tesla cares then they have my data. No regrets about FSD.

1 month and 1,500 miles with my FSD MY LR has taught me that FSD drivers must learn how to anticipate when a software override is necessary to prevent the car from performing wonky, scary and aggressive (yet safe if you believe the developers) driving maneuvers.

There is a learning curve to properly using FSD, but overall I have no regrets and can't see my self not purchasing the package if/when i get another Tesla.

Reactions: laservet
Thanks for the response. I write real-time SW for a living and find it unacceptable that the display shows the correct data and that data is not conveyed to the whole system. And the problem is repeatable. It would be a priority one SW bug at my job. Love the car and the FSD will improve. Is there a forum that the FSD team listens to? Sorry to rant. Have a great day.

I had my first one on a Friday, returning from NYC. I was in left lane on TACC only (no FSD), and a semi was in the right lane. As I merged right, into the center lane, I think the system thought that either the truck was coming into the middle lane like I was, or got confused by the shadow of the trailer. Hard braking and I swerved back into the left lane. I have had no issues with overpasses to date.

It happened again this morning on the way to work. I was in the left of three lanes, no cars in front of me, and was overtaking a work van who was in the middle lane. The van was in the far side of the lane, steady, not a threat, but my car braked 10 mph to match the van's speed and paced it for about 20 seconds before it accelerated back to speed and passed it. Thankfully nobody behind me, the van and I were the only cars within 2000 feet. Similar situations with large trucks and a clear lane ahead, seems to be a pattern. Can't wait for the new version!

Reactions: LionelHutz