Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is power for climate supplied by batteries or charger when battery is 100%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2022 RWD Model 3.

If the Model 3 is sitting on 100% and still connected to a high-amperage AC charger, is power for climate and interior functions drawn from the connected supply or does it run off the battery and top this back up?

Climate control is coming off of the battery, as always. The battery is then resupplied by the charger. There is no direct connection charger to climate control. Try this outside in the winter connected to the mobile charger. Even plugged in the charge will quickly drop from 100%........

Reactions: GtiMart
The climate control is 12vDC, so when it's on it is creating a load on the 12vDC bus. Initially that is supplied by the 12v accessory battery, which is quickly resupplied back up to its nominal voltage by the main high voltage traction battery via a DC-DC converter. If the vehicle is plugged into AC the traction battery will then quickly be resupplied back up to its set charge point by the AC-DC charger.

In electrical systems the supply items and load items are attached to a "common bus". A battery is both a supply and a load. But power doesn't flow into a battery and then back out of it if there is supply and load occurring at the same time. It's not like pouring water into a bucket that has pipes on the bottom. It's more like there is pressure on the pipe, and if there are loads where the pressure can exit the pipe then nothing goes to the battery. But if there are no loads then the battery will consume the supply. And if there is no supply but there are loads, the battery will supply the ... supply.

The air conditioner alone seems to be around 1000W, so that along with other internal systems and losses incurred from electrical translations and you'd likely need a pretty high amp power source to keep the main battery topped up. I'm not familiar with the AUS electrical standards but I suspect your standard wall outlet wouldn't be enough.

Incidentally it looks like the original Roadster maybe had a high voltage air conditioning system. I'm not able to find what the Model 3 actually has but I have to suspect it's 12v. I still think Tesla should lead the way moving cars to 48vDC accessory system. SO much money could be saved in wiring.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
2022 RWD Model 3.

If the Model 3 is sitting on 100% and still connected to a high-amperage AC charger, is power for climate and interior functions drawn from the connected supply or does it run off the battery and top this back up?

Youtube below proves HVAC is drawing 10A from shore power while the charging system charging 0 and the battery gauge does not go down;

• Love
Reactions: rpiotro and alex_au
The climate control is 12vDC, so when it's on it is creating a load on the 12vDC bus. Initially that is supplied by the 12v accessory battery, which is quickly resupplied back up to its nominal voltage by the main high voltage traction battery via a DC-DC converter. If the vehicle is plugged into AC the traction battery will then quickly be resupplied back up to its set charge point by the AC-DC charger.

In electrical systems the supply items and load items are attached to a "common bus". A battery is both a supply and a load. But power doesn't flow into a battery and then back out of it if there is supply and load occurring at the same time. It's not like pouring water into a bucket that has pipes on the bottom. It's more like there is pressure on the pipe, and if there are loads where the pressure can exit the pipe then nothing goes to the battery. But if there are no loads then the battery will consume the supply. And if there is no supply but there are loads, the battery will supply the ... supply.

The air conditioner alone seems to be around 1000W, so that along with other internal systems and losses incurred from electrical translations and you'd likely need a pretty high amp power source to keep the main battery topped up. I'm not familiar with the AUS electrical standards but I suspect your standard wall outlet wouldn't be enough.

Incidentally it looks like the original Roadster maybe had a high voltage air conditioning system. I'm not able to find what the Model 3 actually has but I have to suspect it's 12v. I still think Tesla should lead the way moving cars to 48vDC accessory system. SO much money could be saved in wiring.
Thanks LoudMusic for your explanation here. The car is connected at a public SICHARGE CC AC22 charger. Looks like the car indicates its a 3-phase supply, but voltage only shows 238v (our mains supply here in AU is 240v), maybe that's not me understanding it correctly, but thought it would be 415v or similar. Anyway, really helpful

Attachments

• photo_2022-03-11_19-52-51.jpg
    photo_2022-03-11_19-52-51.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 597
Not sure but I do know for sure that you don't want to keep the car at 100% charge. 80% will make your battery much happier. 100% only if your going on a trip.

That’s not necessarily true anymore. It depends on which battery. Some of the newer SR batteries are of thr LFP type, in which case almost the exact opposite applies. Charging to 100% at least weekly is recommended with those batteries.

Given that the OP said they have a 2022 RWD, it’s entirely possible they have a LFP battery.

Reactions: alex_au
That’s not necessarily true anymore. It depends on which battery. Some of the newer SR batteries are of thr LFP type, in which case almost the exact opposite applies. Charging to 100% at least weekly is recommended with those batteries.

Given that the OP said they have a 2022 RWD, it’s entirely possible they have a LFP battery.
Yes, I do have a LFP battery

Reactions: dmurphy
Heating is on high voltage from the battery and takes whatever power it needs for the settings you have. When the battery starts going down, the car will start charging by pulling energy from the charger. If the charger doesn't provide enough energy, then the battery SOC will go down. I don't believe the car directly pulls from the charger. If it did, it would sometimes need to reduce its consumption based on what the charger provides. My LR AWD 3 might pull 6-7kW for heating, plus 6.5-7kW for battery heating in winter. My charger can only provide 11kW, and I don't believe the car reduces its power draw because of that.

Reactions: alex_au and PACEMD
Heating is on high voltage from the battery and takes whatever power it needs for the settings you have. When the battery starts going down, the car will start charging by pulling energy from the charger. If the charger doesn't provide enough energy, then the battery SOC will go down. I don't believe the car directly pulls from the charger. If it did, it would sometimes need to reduce its consumption based on what the charger provides. My LR AWD 3 might pull 6-7kW for heating, plus 6.5-7kW for battery heating in winter. My charger can only provide 11kW, and I don't believe the car reduces its power draw because of that.
Exactly, thank you........