Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Power Off really off? Been fighting with weird GPS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 15 MS has been having some weird GPS issues. I guess it's intermittent. Over the years did the call to service's main phone number they had me power off the car they send a reset command, power back on and it was good. Since the 9.0 update my GPS has gotten stuck, or veered off course (not on the road I'm on) a dozen times in the last 2-3 weeks. Calls to service do sometimes fix it, had it pushed up the chain to higher level support who did contact me with "it seems to have fixed itself". A SC had my car for a week and said "too many entries in your navigation history".

Anyway still fighting with this.

But when you go into the service menu there is a Power Off button. They claim to power off the car with that. Is that really powered off? I do that. Sit in the car not moving not touching anything for 10 minutes. Car seems "off". It's dark. But if I use the mobile app, I can connect to the car. Turn the climate control system on. Turn the lights and beep the horn. How is this really "things are powered off" if I can remote into the car and do stuff. When I wait for 10 minutes or so, push my foot on the brake, and things power on immediately. How is that "powered off"? It looks like it's sleeping.

I've done so many button reboots. Power off cycles. The service center cleared out my navigation history. I just did a factory reset (so now it thinks I'm at the Freemont factory). Any ideas for GPS would be good too.

If it was completely turned off then there would be no way to turn it back on. Something has to be running to receive the command to turn it back on. IMHO the only way to completely turn it off would be to disconnect the 12 volt battery.