Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is PPF and Ceramic worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yep, doesn't take long to re do though, ceramic also needs needs regular treatment too 😉
Yeah, I wasn't overly impressed with ceramic coating and, before anyone asks, yes it was done properly by an expert. I think ceramic coatings are a bit over-hyped in their ability to make future cleaning easier. Tar and bugs are just as stubborn to remove as they are on a conventionally waxed car.

I arranged my insurance through Admiral and advised them of the PPF I was having fitted.

The member of staff didn't know what PPF was but went away to get advice and although they class it is a modification but because it doesn't affect the appearance or performance of the car there isn't an increase in premium but it is noted on the policy document that it is fitted.
Mine is getting PPF this week. I'm also with Admiral and had read previously they were pretty chilled about it so good to get confirmation.

I would recommend any Model 3 owner to consider getting sill (rocker) areas done. Not necessary on Model Y (and iirc S and X) as that looks to have a moulded section in stone chip prone areas.

I certainly would not bother with ceramic coating again. Car still gets as dirty as any other Model 3 I see on the road. Yes, it’s easy to keep clean but I don’t think without it it would be much harder than using foaming cleaning products and hydrophobic rinse.
Tesla sell a PPF kit for the rockers / wheel arch (why its not included from the factory heaven only knows!) but its always out of stock and not self healing. there are kits on eBay for self fitment or a detailer will do it for around £200

I've been mulling it over and have booked to get a full body PPF in Suntek ultra which doesnt need ceramic coatings over the top. My main reason is that my previous car (Outlander phev) was covered in scratches from bushes along narrow country lanes. With the MY being just that bid wider I wanted to do the sides and of course the front gets stone chips and then it's only another few hundred to have the whole car done.

It's true for the cost I could have a lot of paint repair done later, but a) that means driving around with visible scratches and b) when would I get the repairs done... just before I come to sell it?

So I'm opting to pay up front and hopefully have a scratch free car. Have checked and Admiral insurance dont care as class PPF as decoration.
It is very disappointing in the way modern car paints damage so easily when in contact with country road side hedges. I have seen with cars of all quality. However, several annual paint correction and ceramic treatments could be had for the cost of a wrap.

View attachment 784748
You'll just see the rain beading on your car :)
Might be best to comment on content related to Kentucky as you have not got a clue about UK services.
A conversation at cross purposes: I believe the point was that of say a £ 700 paint treatment and Ceramic coating process, the ceramic part represents a minor percentage of the whole. Most of the cost is labour. I read no suggestion that you can drive in your swirly contaminated car and drive out with an immaculate ceramic coated vehicle for a $100.

If, as has been know to happen, I am incorrect, please may I have the contact details for the £100 makeover charity.

Reactions: MrT3
Going to stick my neck out here. Our Q4 '21 red M3LR has had paint swirls since collection. Today, we picked it up after proper paint correction plus ceramic coating. The result speaks for itself...
View attachment 784936

Swirls/scratches are history. This is how the car should've been at the point of delivery. Tesla make great cars, but their delivery prep sucks giant hairy moose balls.

My MYLR will be getting the same treatment next month.

Steve
Gorgeous! Occasional doubts about my choice of red for my Y on order, are dispelled when I see photos like your. Get in!

Reactions: browellm
A conversation at cross purposes: I believe the point was that of say a £ 700 paint treatment and Ceramic coating process, the ceramic part represents a minor percentage of the whole. Most of the cost is labour. I read no suggestion that you can drive in your swirly contaminated car and drive out with an immaculate ceramic coated vehicle for a $100.

If, as has been know to happen, I am incorrect, please may I have the contact details for the £100 makeover charity.
What has my comment about Scottish weather got to do with this? I wish people wouldn't quote out of context.

It is very disappointing in the way modern car paints damage so easily when in contact with country road side hedges. I have seen with cars of all quality. However, several annual paint correction and ceramic treatments could be had for the cost of a wrap.

We have 9H ceramic coating on our car.

It absolutely would not give any meaningful protection against scratches from say country road hedges.

Once I notified Tesla that our car had ceramic coating, Tesla (thankfully) refuse to even wash our car when it is in a service centre for fear of scratching the ceramic coating.

It’s nano meters thick. It’s not a protection against many abrasive contacts as some of the scratches on our car would attest.

Reactions: init6
We have 9H ceramic coating on our car.

It absolutely would not give any meaningful protection against scratches from say country road hedges.

Once I notified Tesla that our car had ceramic coating, Tesla (thankfully) refuse to even wash our car when it is in a service centre for fear of scratching the ceramic coating.

It’s nano meters thick. It’s not a protection against many abrasive contacts as some of the scratches on our car would attest.
Agreed! The scatched are unaboidable.
My point was that those scratches could be removed with an annual paint correction detail and a new coat of ( one year) ceramic. The ceramic coating benefit is to reduced washing effort and to obviate the need for quarterly waxing.
However, the ceramic could be skipped in favour of elbow grease and just have the hedge row and general contaminant damage removed in the annual detail.
This is a cost effective alternative to the not inconsiderable expense of PPF.