Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is PPF or ceramic coating necessary?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a Model 3, spent the money, and installed the PPF. As I recall, it was about 3K. Now I have the Plaid, and I won't install it this time. If you are traveling down the highway and an 18-wheeler passes you up doing 75 plus MPH, and it kicks up a rock, the PPF is worthless. My wife had a great idea. We will save the money and not wrap the Plaid. In 2-3 years we will go to a body shop and then fix all the chips.

We have two 3’s. Mine has front end covered in PPF (full hood and mirrors) - wife’s has nothing. Couple of years in I would say the PPF definitely helps. My car doesn’t have any chips on the front end (I drive about 14,000 a year). Her car gets driven about 1/2 as many miles and definitely has chips. That said - they aren’t that bad and we touch them up once or twice a year. Her car is white and the paint is hard to match perfectly. But - it still looks pretty good. All of which is to say - the film seems to clearly make a difference. The question is - what’s it worth to you? I think if we both got new cars tomorrow she would again pass on PPF and I would probably get it again.

Reactions: dragoon9988
Well, since I'm leasing, I went with a hybrid ceramic wax. Good gloss and water repelling and cheap. Teslas are kind of notorious for soft paint. My 2019 had several rock strikes/paint chips that I touched up with touch up paint. Advice - never park under trees (bird poop, sap) or drive blind trucks/dump trucks!