Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AuthenticBrad

Local Vendor - Texas
Nov 18, 2017
Austin, TX
After installing PPF on over 1500 cars and working with many types of customers - we compiled our thoughts on PPF and its value.

This is a great resource to decide if PPF is worth it for your Tesla.

Hope this is helpful to anyone considering PPF.

Is paint protection film worth it? | Authentic Details Austin

Attachments

• 3B2DAB2B-F8C5-4651-A683-8FDAD8F329BC.jpeg
    3B2DAB2B-F8C5-4651-A683-8FDAD8F329BC.jpeg
    256.2 KB · Views: 12

linux-works

Dec 23, 2019
mtn view, ca
not addressed: what does this do, in terms of future body work or paint work needed? if I have a collision, will it cost more if I have ppf applied? will I get the cost of the ppf back or my choice of re-apply (by insurance)?

if you have to blend, do you have to remove the whole panel's ppf? what if that does more damage?

I don't have ppf, I might consider it, but it does seem to be an extra 'curve' for when you need to have an accident/insurance claim.

can anyone comment on that aspect? it looks great when its there, but how's life when you need major work done on an insurance claim?

AuthenticBrad

Local Vendor - Texas
Nov 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Allow me to summarize the article.

"Is PPF worth it?"

not addressed: what does this do, in terms of future body work or paint work needed? if I have a collision, will it cost more if I have ppf applied? will I get the cost of the ppf back or my choice of re-apply (by insurance)?

if you have to blend, do you have to remove the whole panel's ppf? what if that does more damage?

I don't have ppf, I might consider it, but it does seem to be an extra 'curve' for when you need to have an accident/insurance claim.

can anyone comment on that aspect? it looks great when its there, but how's life when you need major work done on an insurance claim?

These are great questions and situations we run into often.

You are correct the panels with PPF that need to be blended into will need to be removed.

However, every situation we've had this happen, the insurance covers the replacement cost without question. It's a product that has been around long enough where insurance companies are aware and cover replacement. In Texas, that replacement can be done where you choose (not sure how it is in other states).

At times we've worked directly with body shops and supplied a supplement to them or directly with the insurance and they pay us directly. Both scenarios have been seamless to date.

AuthenticBrad

Local Vendor - Texas
Nov 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Why not just save the money for touch up paint and a detailer every few years?

This is definitely the route we recommend to some people. To many people, rock chips are just normal wear and tear. To others, a rock chip is horrendous and they cannot stand even the slightest defect to their beloved car.

It's important for anyone who is considering PPF to determine where you fit because PPF isn't cheap by any means and that money can often go to many other areas of life.

XLR82XS

D M C
Jul 26, 2019
SWFL | Vegas
Why not just save the money for touch up paint and a detailer every few years?
With Tesla soft paint that's simply not in the cards for anyone that cares what their paint looks like. A few days after getting PPF something hit the front bumper and left a mark in the film. Without the film it's crazy how beat up paint gets from road debris. Massive paint chips and scratches will require a re-spray.

Do a search on here and you'll find photos of cars without film affected by road debris and the terrible paint damage sustained - especially on the rocker "hips" behind the rear doors and front bumper. When I purchase any new car it's getting PPF immediately. At delivery I utilized PTP system when transported to the PPF installer the day after purchase.
View media item 120198

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC