Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Premium Interior worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my opinion no, the premium seats are not worth it. I did some investigation on this site and others. And of course tried them out before ordering. The general consensus was that the multi-pattern were very good seats. After having my car for almost 1 year I agree.

I have the Ultra white synthetic seats and absolutely love them. I knew I was not going to select leather as most all Tesla leather seats I had seen looked worn beyond their time and had creases and such. I am sure there are exceptions out there but just from my personal observation, seemed the leather seats weren't as good as those from other manufacturers. They are gone now, so I guess it's a moot point going forward. Leather seats RIP ;-)

I too had to look far and wide to see the MP seats in the flesh. I suggest doing what I did - go to Tesla stores (I'm fortunate to have a multitude of them here in the Bay Area) and specifically ask to see one. They definitely will not be in the showroom. In my case, I had one of the sales advisors walk to a secondary storage/prep area that they don't generally expose to the public. These were vehicles getting prepped and detailed, probably for pickup by owners soon. He walked up and down rows and rows of tightly packed Teslas in varying states of cleanliness and preparation. Eventually he found a single MP seated Model S for me to check out. For me, they were 'interesting' but they weren't quite what I was looking for. I did have the sense that they were well constructed and would probably look and perform good for the long haul - unlike the leather seats. I sense they are very durable and if you find them comfortable, it's certainly an option.

Remember also that you may be able to still get the "Classic Black" option. From what it looks like in the rendering from the design studio, these are mostly the original style Tesla seat (pre-Next Generation, pre-Premium) except they have a (black) faux leather covering instead of the original leather. I am not very familiar with the original seats, but apparently they are flatter and have a much more relaxed lumber area. Might see if you could check those seats out too if you're interested.

Appreciate the offer. That's really kind

The multi patterns don't seem to be in any of the stores. All the showrooms have the upgraded unfortunately. I've been scouring the internet for photos

Hi apples

Assuming you've not already made your decision and if you care to do so I have the new multi pattern cloth seat and I like them. If you want to see some picture or more specially do some sort of Skype chat where I can show you feel free to PM me and we can set something up.

Either way I'm sure you'll be happy with your car it is awesome!!!

I have the Ultra white synthetic seats and absolutely love them. I knew I was not going to select leather as most all Tesla leather seats I had seen looked worn beyond their time and had creases and such. I am sure there are exceptions out there but just from my personal observation, seemed the leather seats weren't as good as those from other manufacturers. They are gone now, so I guess it's a moot point going forward. Leather seats RIP ;-)

I too had to look far and wide to see the MP seats in the flesh. I suggest doing what I did - go to Tesla stores (I'm fortunate to have a multitude of them here in the Bay Area) and specifically ask to see one. They definitely will not be in the showroom. In my case, I had one of the sales advisors walk to a secondary storage/prep area that they don't generally expose to the public. These were vehicles getting prepped and detailed, probably for pickup by owners soon. He walked up and down rows and rows of tightly packed Teslas in varying states of cleanliness and preparation. Eventually he found a single MP seated Model S for me to check out. For me, they were 'interesting' but they weren't quite what I was looking for. I did have the sense that they were well constructed and would probably look and perform good for the long haul - unlike the leather seats. I sense they are very durable and if you find them comfortable, it's certainly an option.

Remember also that you may be able to still get the "Classic Black" option. From what it looks like in the rendering from the design studio, these are mostly the original style Tesla seat (pre-Next Generation, pre-Premium) except they have a (black) faux leather covering instead of the original leather. I am not very familiar with the original seats, but apparently they are flatter and have a much more relaxed lumber area. Might see if you could check those seats out too if you're interested.

So I have a question. Are you saying there is a difference between "Multi Pattern" and something you are calling "Classic Black" seats?

My MS75D made in 11/2016 has what's called "Black Textile Seats" according to my Purchase Agreement.

They are a mix of what seems to be tightly woven cloth and vinyl or possibly leather or synthetic leather. I found a pic on the internet that looks like them.

Thanks

Attachments

• model-s-dark-ash-interior-1.jpg
    model-s-dark-ash-interior-1.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 216
So I have a question. Are you saying there is a difference between "Multi Pattern" and something you are calling "Classic Black" seats?

I believe the Classic Black seats are the original, less side-supported Model S seats. For some reason they keep offering that old seat option or at least have...

Multi Pattern, on the other hand, is a fabric choice and has been available on newer Model S seats as well, i.e. the Premium Seats. Of course it used to be available on those older non-Premium seats as well...

I've managed to find a car with multi pattern seats. To clarify, they are not the original flat seats, although that used to be the case. Now, they are the exact seats that come in the leather seats, just a dual texture. They look pretty good. I'll post some pics later

...that being said I'm still in the fence :)

Few things that needs to be added here....
1. Alcantara headliner / roof ONLY comes with Premium Interior. If you go for standard interior the headliner will be in fabric. Alcantara is much much nicer, at least in my book. Before 22 July Alcantara headliner came on all cars, even those with standard interior. Now after 22 july this is changed so beware of that.
2. Door panels and not to say the least the Center Console will be completely covered in the premium material if going for premium package. Especially the center console dressed in premium material will give the interior a much more premium feel instead of the plastic one that has been seen in cars up until now. This is a NEW feature introduced after 22 july so not seen in any car yet more or less
3. With premium package there are also some extended Alcantara features where the door handles are. Will look and feel much nicer than standard plastic.
4. Carbon fiber with the matt finish is a no brainer to me. The shiny standard panels just looks out of place and give reflections. Also not so nice to have the shiny scratchy material on the center consol lid. Much nicer with carbon here. Personal choice of course.

Saying all that... I've driven Teslas with Ultra White and love the material. Much nicer than the leather interior. Softer and feels more plush. The only thing previously holding me back was that I haven't been very keen on the White and also really hated the bad quality black leather that looked old after 10 miles. Now when black interior is available with Ultrafabric (the white material) it is P E R F E C T!

Thank you Tesla for stepping it up with the new interior. Black Premium interior with carbon for me thank you :D

I believe the Classic Black seats are the original, less side-supported Model S seats. For some reason they keep offering that old seat option or at least have...

Multi Pattern, on the other hand, is a fabric choice and has been available on newer Model S seats as well, i.e. the Premium Seats. Of course it used to be available on those older non-Premium seats as well...

Yes, that seems to be the case - and what I was trying to say :)

I've managed to find a car with multi pattern seats. To clarify, they are not the original flat seats, although that used to be the case. Now, they are the exact seats that come in the leather seats, just a dual texture. They look pretty good. I'll post some pics later

Ok, so mystery solved, I don't have MP seats after all in my 11/2016 MS75D.

What I have is called "Black Textile Seats" per my purchase agreement (I'll check what my actual window sticker says when I get home). They also seem to be referred to as "Classic Black Seats",or "Gen 1.5" by others since they are newer than the original (Gen 1), but not the "Next Gen (Gen 2)".

They look like the original seats that has a mostly flat seating surface and the bottom is rounded in the front. See the attached photo.

I personally love them, especially after being in 2017 MS75 with Ultra White Next Gen (Way too bright and bolstered for me) and 2017 MX75D with Tan Leather Next Gen (Better in color and a little wider than the 2017 MS75).

Good Luck, I hope you find something you love!!

Attachments

• TeslaSeat.jpg
    TeslaSeat.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 181

The thing with Tesla seats that makes things confusing is that - between the seats themselves and the coverings/materials- they have iterated so many times in the 4-5 years the Model S has been in existence. That is atypical for car companies and so makes it difficult for many people to wrap their heads around. Tesla iterates fast. Especially for seats!

As I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong) there have been THREE overall seat/frames themselves in the last 4-5 years:

Seats:

Original/Standard seat - from 2012 onward. Changed slightly in 2014 to add more padding to the base. It is/was the most 'flat' and least bolstered seat. Some people felt/feel this is the most relaxed feeling seat.

Next Generation seat (made by Recaro from what I understand). Available from late 2014 (Nov/Dec?). These were the most sporty seats and had the most aggressive bolstering. For some that was a positive. For others, a negative.

Premium seat - I believe introduced in summer (Aug?) of 2016 for the Model S but were essentially (or perhaps exactly) the same as the Model X seats on that car since it's inception. In Goldilocks terms, I think Tesla wanted to split the difference between the original and NextGen seats with regards to comfort vs sportiness (i.e. they were going for "just right")

Coverings:

Multi-Pattern Black aka Textile is the cloth and faux leather accented base (no additional cost) seating option.
Sport/Performance Leather: Used "original" seat but added alcantra panels and contrasting piping for a sportier look.
Leather. Various colors have come and gone. Was available on original, NextGen and Premium seat frames through the years.
"Ultrafabrics": the first "vegan leather"/synthetic covering that was 'premium' and would replace leather. Introduced in Model X and later added to Model S. Originally available only in UltraWhite color. Recently (July 2017) Tesla has added Cream and Black color options as well (when it discontinued the leather option). Note: Tesla doesn't use this word but it is thought this might be what the fabric is called, so I'm going with it.

Today for Black, the choices are:

Classic Black = Black Ultrafabric synthetic covering on the original/standard (flatter, less bolstered) seats.

Black = Black Ultrafabric on the Premium seat base.

Multi-Pattern Black = Woven cloth with synthetic leather accents on the Premium seat base.

For all other colors today (White, Creme, Black) you get Ultrafabric on the Premium seat base.

Last edited: