Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Premium Interior worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking at ordering a new MS 75d, and the one option that Im having a tough time wrapping my head around is the Premium interior at a whopping $3300 USD (or $4300 Canadian in my case)

That seems huge, especially considering that new seats aren't leather.

Can anyone shed some insight on it? What else am I getting over the multi-pattern seats for that kind of $$$.

Is it worth doing?

I did not upgrade to premium and don't regret it in any way.
The seat upgrade is separate from the premium upgrades package so that doesn't matter on whether you get the premium upgrade or not.

The premium upgrade gets you:
HEPA filter (Bioweapon defense mode) - not necessary
Higher quality audio system. I have the standard audio and it's great. If you're an audiophile, you may want this upgrade.
XM radio capability. With the built in internet radio, I don't see the need for this.
Sub zero package (heated rear seat, heated steering wheel, heated wiper blades and washer nozzle heaters). Since it appears you live in Toronto, these are probably the best features on the premium upgrade for you. I live in SoCal where it's nice and warm so I don't feel like I missed out on these features!

So really, you're doing the upgrade mostly for the sub zero package and higher end audio. Is that worth it to you?

Also don't forget to use a referral link :) (mine is below if you need one!)

On further reading, it looks like you were referring to the premium interior (headliners, seats), not the premium upgrade. Sorry!

They changed the way the design studio is set up since I ordered :)

I would say the seats are worth it, but not the other random upgrades for trim and such. I would personally go for it just for the seats, but that was important for me for comfort. I couldn't fathom having a 70+ thousand dollar car with cloth seats!

Sorry....to clarify....Im talking about the premium seat upgrade....Im already planning to get the premium upgrade with the Hepa, audio, etc

What Im not following is what the $4300 for the seats goes to, because it's still not leather. Is it worth it? I understand why everyone did the upgrade a month ago when it was leather, but does it make sense now?

Are you near a service center/store? I'd recommend going and sitting in one to see if you like the seats. I made sure to test drive the "next gen seats" before I purchased to make sure I wanted them (I did).

I'm not 100% sure if the premium seats are that different than the standard ones now? Looking at the design studio they both look like faux-leather.

Reactions: whitex
Interesting. Definitely would recommend trying them in store if you're able. Otherwise, I'd guess it's not worth it.

I live near a store - I'd be happy to go check them out on Monday if you need a first hand account!

I did not get premium interior when I bought the car because I saw both multi pattern seats and the real leather seats and was disappointed with the real leather seats.

The car with the real leather I saw was an inventory car that was 2 months old with tan leather. But by looking at the seats you'd have thought the car had been very roughly used for the past 5 years (We also saw a Model X with white "vegan" interior. My impressions on that to follow).

So in any case, we got the MP seats and I've had the car since mid-may. I absolutely LOVE the MP seats.

The new multi-pattern seats are a lot nicer and comfortable than the old MP seats. Its essentially the same design as the leather seats but the side bolsters are fake leather and the seating and lumbar areas are cloth. Its very comfortable to sit in and feels very sporty.

But...

All the new premium seats are the fake leather kind they uses with the white interior. And in my opinion, the white "vegan" seats we saw actually held up really well to wear compared to the real leather. Also, as you may see with many other owners' reviews, they are a lot easier to clean. If we didn't like the multi-pattern seats we saw, we would've most definitely gone with the white interior.

To sum it up, if price is not a factor, my preference would be as follows:

Vegan leather seats >= MP seats > Real leather seats

Here's a link to a video from a reddit user about the MP seats. Tesla Multi Pattern Seats

Last edited:
When we first saw the Ultra White non-leather seats, we were skeptical about them. The seats are so bright white - it seemed like they are just a big target waiting to get marked up. But the local gallery assured us the ultra white seats have held up better in test drive cars than the leather seats - and are easy to clean. They recommended carrying a package of baby wipes to clean off any smudges.

While the leather seats have held up pretty well on our 2012 S P85 after 85K miles, we decided to order the Ultra White non-leather seats for our new S 100D. We've had the car since March and now have over 6500 miles on it already. And the Ultra White seats are still spotless, and are comfortable on long road trips.

We have a Model 3 reserved, hoping to get it this year. My wife wants the Ultra White seats in her Model 3, even if that means she may have to delay delivery (though it now looks like they'll have the Ultra White seats before our delivery slot would come up).

If the Ultra White holds up well, now that they have other colors in the non-leather seats, based on our experience so far, we'd recommend them.

For what it's worth, I saw and sat in the multi pattern seats at my local showroom and they definitely weren't for me. If you can check them out in person, you'll know one way or another really quickly.

I had a AP 2 loaner with the new multi pattern seats. I agree, they weren't for me either. But I can see why people like them. The only other newer seats I have tried was a Model X loaner, and it's seats seemed softer than the textile.

We ended up getting leather seats because we didn't like the white seats as they were just too bright for us. We missed out on the new non-leather seats by a couple of weeks. I think we would have preferred the non-leather seats in black if they were available. Compared to the black leather we found the white seats to be more comfortable and from everything we have read they seem to hold up better than leather.

I just had a similar debate. My wife and I did get to sit in and see a full MP seat. My wife said she didn't mind them but for what we were already paying I believed it had to have leather, vegan or whatever in it. I couldn't come to terms with seats similar to a Toyota Tacoma being in the car. That being said there were practical considerations that drove me to the vegan option namely: 1) We have dogs and I thought the weave in the MP would be incredibly hard to clean of dog hair and 2) are planning on having kids and again, the MP looked like. it would be a crumb magnet that would be much harder to clean. So I thought the vegan option was much more worthy of the car but another important consideration was ease of cleaning and I just didn't see the MP seats as easy to clean.

I have the MP seats and I really like them. I rented a MS and MX before purchasing my MS75D and I found the bolstering too aggressive on the Gen2 seats. I'm a wide guy, so that's my take. I also feel the cloth is strategically placed to be less sticky when wearing shorts in the summer. I've always felt leather was overrated anyhow. Just my 2 cents. Also, I've had two different loners with the Gen2 seats this week and I still find them uncomfortable, so I'm still happy with my decision. I don't have any pets or kids (or wife) to worry about either. lol

I'm looking at ordering a new MS 75d, and the one option that Im having a tough time wrapping my head around is the Premium interior at a whopping $3300 USD (or $4300 Canadian in my case)

That seems huge, especially considering that new seats aren't leather.

Can anyone shed some insight on it? What else am I getting over the multi-pattern seats for that kind of $$$.

Is it worth doing?
You're getting the HEPA filter. Whether the filtration of those pollution particles is worth the money - is up to you. Read what scientific research you can on roadway pollution levels, exposure effects over time, etc. - make a guess as to whether this filter can impact your health over the long run or not - and choose whether to pay your money. The HEPA filter is to me the only really desirable thing left in the premium package now that the power liftgate is not in it.

I got a white car, pearl white actually, with black leather and carbon fiber accents. I'm very happy with it. I'd thought the black would get very hot in the sun but it hasn't. Generally when the car is parked in the sun, I'll activate the climate control with my phone a few minutes before returning to the car. That has been great. There's no stifling hot interior for 5-10 minutes or so until the A/C starts working as there has been with every other car I've had. The A/C consumes about 6 miles of range for every hour it runs, parked on a hot day, set for 70F.

I just saw the leather isn't listed any more. I've got no idea what the man made premium seat material is like. It is still pricey. The black is a classic look and I really like the carbon fiber instead of the wood parts. The carbon fiber isn't glossy, it has a deep matte finish. It looks great. It isn't just me, others comment on it as well.

One thing I don't like about plastic and cloth seats is the static shocks one gets in cold dry weather. There can be quite a snap and a spark. It is annoying. It hasn't been a problem with leather in our other cars. Has anyone with the man made premium seats had cold weather experience and are static shocks a problem?

The static builds as one moves on the seats, which causes static charge transfer. All is well until one steps out of the car. The insulated soles on shoes in contact with the ground turn the person into a charged capacitor. When the person touches a conductive surface on the car, there is a snap and a spark as the static discharges. It isn't dangerous but it is a little painful. There is miniscule amperage but there can be hundreds to thousands of volts. If one touches the conductive surface as they exit, before and then as the feet contact the ground, the charge dissipates without the spark. It is interesting, the process is the same as is used in the Van de Graaff generator.