Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is premium package useful in Model S now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the use of premium package now that we can get automatic tail gate standard?
If one wants HEPA filter we can get that separately too. Is Alcantara headliner, some light strips and turning headlights worth $3500?

What is the use of premium package now that we can get automatic tail gate standard?
If one wants HEPA filter we can get that separately too. Is Alcantara headliner, some light strips and turning headlights worth $3500?
I think the HEPA filter has disappear from the "store" section, nothing would stop you from buying the parts yourself though. Alcantara is standard on the S. You also get more leather surfaces if you order leather seats. I think it's time for a price reduction on the Premium Package now though. In reality, Tesla should just make what's left standard.

You do get a few other things:
  • Alcantara upper dashboard accents
  • Leather arm rests, steering wheel and lower dashboard when paired with leather seating
  • LED fog lights
  • Three-position dynamic LED turning lights for nighttime visibility
  • Soft LED ambient interior lighting
  • Lighted door handles
  • Quick connection phone dock
  • Bioweapon Defense Mode
Or are you saying that the automatic tail gate was worth $3,500 to you and the above things are worth nothing? We know that they use to value Bioweapon Defense Mode at $750, but I'm not sure the rest is worth $2,750 to most people.

• Alcantara upper dashboard accents
  • Leather arm rests, steering wheel and lower dashboard when paired with leather seating
  • LED fog lights
  • Three-position dynamic LED turning lights for nighttime visibility
  • Soft LED ambient interior lighting
  • Lighted door handles
  • Quick connection phone dock
  • Bioweapon Defense Mode
Or are you saying that the automatic tail gate was worth $3,500 to you and the above things are worth nothing? We know that they use to value Bioweapon Defense Mode at $750, but I'm not sure the rest is worth $2,750 to most people.
I am interested in white seats which is not leather. So even less benefits for me.

I enjoy it. It was worth it to me. I like the interior lighting. I feel better with my allergies after a long trip.

Sure, everything could be better. Perhaps adjustable color for the interior lighting. Or aroma therapy with the HEPA.

It probably isn't the financially wise choice, but neither is a luxury car purchase.

I think that the automatic tail gate was the driver for many to get the premium package. I know that was the case for me. I expect they will either reduce the price or add some other feature to the package.

For me, the biggest improvement (and thats not really saying much) is the headlights on the Premium package. Even though theyre still pretty awful compared to other ICE cars, I can definitely notice improved visibility with the premium headlights. I live on a dark hillside home and coming home at night, I can easily tell the difference. To me, ill take any improvement in our poor lit headlights. Some of the additional light definitely comes from the lower cornering lights, the fog lights also help a tiny bit, but the main headlights definitely seem just a tad brighter... Enough for me to notice, and be happier with the added visibility.

Backstory, this is a direct comparison with the non-premium refresh MS75 I owned before I upgraded to another MS ...

• Leather arm rests, steering wheel and lower dashboard when paired with leather seating.
Curious about the 'steering wheel' difference in premium with leather versus no premium with textile. My leather car with premium has the exact same steering wheel as the recent no premium textile loaner (late 2016 vintage) I had for a month.

Are they the same now or do I have the wrong steering wheel installed on my car?

Also had an early (2013) model S with leather and premium loaner and it had a 'real' leather steering wheel.... hmm.... need to go to the local design center.

I am driving a pre-refresh loaner now and I can say the old headlights are better.
My 2017 MS premium head lights are terrible.. I just hope they are adjusted low as they REALLY light up the road about 20 feet in front of the car on both high and low beam. The MS high beams are less effective than the low beams on our '14 Mazda.

Curious about the 'steering wheel' difference in premium with leather versus no premium with textile. My leather car with premium has the exact same steering wheel as the recent no premium textile loaner (late 2016 vintage) I had for a month.

Are they the same now or do I have the wrong steering wheel installed on my car?

Also had an early (2013) model S with leather and premium loaner and it had a 'real' leather steering wheel.... hmm.... need to go to the local design center.

My 2017 MS premium head lights are terrible.. I just hope they are adjusted low as they REALLY light up the road about 20 feet in front of the car on both high and low beam. The MS high beams are less effective than the low beams on our '14 Mazda.
There is leather on the airbag on the PUP cars.

I am driving a pre-refresh loaner now and I can say the old headlights are better.

yea, its been pretty well discussed that the pre-refresh HIDs were better than the refresh model LED versions. My personal experience is in comparing the LED non-premium version to the LED Premium ones... Perhaps, the cornering lights and possibly the adaptive leds inside the headlight housing are supplementing the additional lumens but I can definitely notice the difference when coming home at night on my routine commute.