Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is "Project Solar" the cheapest solar out there? Are they any good?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had promised photos and here are some:

I'm amused by the stickers not quite matching up to reality. In this case the "DC Combiner" sticker doesn't apply, that's actually the AC Combiner (I eventually removed the sticker since it annoyed me). The engraved plaque doesn't represent all the PV on the house. At my other house, Tesla installed a plaque that represented all the PV system (previously existing and the new one they installed). In both houses there is no single disconnect or rapid shutdown switch.

At my friends house that I referenced one of the first things they did was install a plaque that also had the wrong layout. I haven't checked to see if they replaced it.

I tried to get a system from Project Solar. They were unwilling to sell me a fully installed system on my house that already has a small solar system and two Powerwalls. They said that they were not set up to do permitting for my situation.

My situation was similar, I wanted 12 panels racked with tile hooks paired with Enphase micros. And a home run in existing EMT into an existing Enphase combiner box all set up to handle this new string. All the other conductors were already upsized to anticipate the 15A going to the Powerwalls.

They said they wouldn’t touch an existing ESS install. And couldn’t do the design/permits incorporating the existing hardware. Bummer.

Expanding solar into an existing PV+ESS system only works easily if you’re h2ofun or vines hah.

My situation was similar, I wanted 12 panels racked with tile hooks paired with Enphase micros. And a home run in existing EMT into an existing Enphase combiner box all set up to handle this new string. All the other conductors were already upsized to anticipate the 15A going to the Powerwalls.

They said they wouldn’t touch an existing ESS install. And couldn’t do the design/permits incorporating the existing hardware. Bummer.

Expanding solar into an existing PV+ESS system only works easily if you’re h2ofun or vines hah.
My original solar was installed during construction of my house in 2012. I had a third party install my Powerwalls with SGIP funding in 2018. I contracted with them just after Thanksgiving 2022 to install 6kW more solar. The permitting is done and the PG&E interconnection is locked in under NEM 2.0. However, my install has been pushed to August at the earliest. Since I am locked in with my NEM application and they have up to 2 years to complete the install, I am not stressing about the schedule.