Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is purchasing an inventory car that is in another province possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!

I was just curious if anyone had any recent experience of purchasing an inventory car that’s in another province here in Canada, and if it is possible to do so. The reason is, I just placed an order for a new inventory car in Quebec, but I currently reside in Ontario, and I’ve read some horror stories about how Tesla sometimes refuses to allow for delivery of an inventory vehicle to a person that is from out of province. I’m now really worried, so I was wondering if anyone could give any insights with regards to this.

Thank you very much

Hi!

I was just curious if anyone had any recent experience of purchasing an inventory car that’s in another province here in Canada, and if it is possible to do so. The reason is, I just placed an order for a new inventory car in Quebec, but I currently reside in Ontario, and I’ve read some horror stories about how Tesla sometimes refuses to allow for delivery of an inventory vehicle to a person that is from out of province. I’m now really worried, so I was wondering if anyone could give any insights with regards to this.

Thank you very much
The only comment/help I can provide is whenever I see a new inventory here in BC, at the top of the page it mentions that the car can only get registered in BC. So If you reside in ON, then I believe you are out of luck. But double check that with Tesla.

Reactions: richyrich
When I was looking at inventory cars from BC or SK I was told I could not buy them as I live in Alberta. That was in the fall last year (2021).
We were able to do that before. I purchased my first S from Ontario in 2015. Tesla had it shipped on a truck right to my house. Exciting day:
TFXShipping.jpeg

Reactions: mrElbe
Posting an update in case it may help someone in the future:

Apparently, despite what it says on the website, you still can purchase a car from another province, and I even managed to have them deliver it to my local Tesla store here in Ontario!
It was a very complex process however, and it required multiple phone calls and text conversations with Tesla advisors, as well as a few visits to my local Tesla store. I think the trick is being really nice and going step by step with them.

The one thing I would advise is confirming whether in your specific situation, Tesla would be able to facilitate the delivery of an out of province car, before placing your order, just in case. (I definitely should have done this.)

Overall it was definitely worth it, and I look forward to picking up this inventory car on Saturday!

Posting an update in case it may help someone in the future:

Apparently, despite what it says on the website, you still can purchase a car from another province, and I even managed to have them deliver it to my local Tesla store here in Ontario!
It was a very complex process however, and it required multiple phone calls and text conversations with Tesla advisors, as well as a few visits to my local Tesla store. I think the trick is being really nice and going step by step with them.

The one thing I would advise is confirming whether in your specific situation, Tesla would be able to facilitate the delivery of an out of province car, before placing your order, just in case. (I definitely should have done this.)

Overall it was definitely worth it, and I look forward to picking up this inventory car on Saturday!

Based on your experience, is it better to order first then ask to move it over, or just call and ask to transfer to your existing reservation?

I live in PEI and there are never any used Cars here. I purchased a used model Y that happened to be in quebec. I called tesla and the lady told me she would ship it to halifax and even changed the taxes to reflect PEI taxes and so I wired the money to Tesla. Paid in full. Then 2 days later some guy cold calls me for Tesla and tells me that he is going to cancel my order and do me the favor of returning my deposit. This is BS because a new car will cost 43K more than the one I bought. This is basically saying that PEI residents are not allowed to buy used Tesla's at all. We are being forced to buy new only. Why are they doing this? Its not illegal to sell cars to out of province buyers. I was willing to go to Quebec to pick it up but they still said it was going to be cancelled.

Ottawa folks can order from Montreal stock according to the SA here, since we're so close they'll still transfer it. The general policy is no transfers, but if you have a good service centre like we do here they can still do it.