Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is referral free charging coming to an end?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I nearly ready to put an order for a Tesla model S , but almost impossible before August. Free charging a big incentive for me. What people think, is free charging via referral code going to be available after July the 15th?
I very much appreciate your thoughts

Nobody knows, not even the Tesla salespeople who will say it’s going away to get you to order.

Personally I don’t think it will go away for S/X until there is a major refresh and/or battery capacity increase, and I don’t see that happening before 2019. They need something to keep selling more S/X vs 3 in the meantime, so I think it will remain available.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I nearly ready to put an order for a Tesla model S , but almost impossible before August

You can place the order, now, for a future delivery date (up to 6 months I think). That will lock in current price, get your the referral benefits, and (in the past) Tesla have generally thrown in any enhancements they introduce during t your wait period. You'd have to pay the deposit (that has a cooling off period, so you have a little "thinking time" after making the payment)

Would that work for you?

You are welcome to use my referral code, and you can have whatever "stash" that entails (provided you come and pick it up :) ). I'm sure you'e figured this out, but in case not, the Referral means that your purchase price includes a gift to the Referrer - which is worth £500 and upwards. If you know someone local that might work best for you, but personally I would be telling them that they are going to hand over the Stash ;), unless they are doing you some big favour - answering your questions, taking you for a drive, and so on ...

Reactions: Peteski
I nearly ready to put an order for a Tesla model S , but almost impossible before August. Free charging a big incentive for me. What people think, is free charging via referral code going to be available after July the 15th?

While free charging may be nice, I wouldn't fret about it. We filled our Model 3 up this weekend from just about empty to full and it was just above $10. That's about $1 / 30 miles. This is only about $3,000 per 100,000 miles, not bad, and a very small premium on a $70k car. And that would assume 100% Supercharging. For most folks, home, office, and free public charging generally represent the vast majority of charging for the car.

Based on past history, free supercharging is more than likely to continue but not guaranteed. The actual value of it depends how often you use it. I've supercharged once since Feb, so saved a couple of quid so far! All my other charging has been at home overnight. So it may or may not be a big deal for you in reality.

Every S/X owner has a referral code they can give you. Wannabe Owner's proposition is pretty good i.e. you get the prize! If you are local to MK/Bucks/Northants then I would happily give you advice in return for using my code.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Latest seems to be that after Sep9, referral will still give free supercharging, but only for a year rather than for the duration of ownership (IIRC, original cars got free supercharging for the life of the car, but the more recent referral gave it for the duration of the referred person's ownership).

Latest seems to be that after Sep9, referral will still give free supercharging, but only for a year rather than for the duration of ownership (IIRC, original cars got free supercharging for the life of the car, but the more recent referral gave it for the duration of the referred person's ownership).

@arg, correct as usual :). My car (ordered 30/10/16 - delivered 01/03/17) was one of the last that had free Supercharging attached to the car rather than the owner. With the downgrade from free for life of ownership to only one year Tesla are either using it as a demand level to maximise orders which will fall into Q4 deliveries, or are finally trying to cap the ongoing cost of free Supercharging.

TBH one years Supercharging wouldn't motivate me to make a purchase, whereas the prospect of free "for life" appeals - even if the financial value isn't actually that great in the overall scheme of things.

Also worth working out how often you will actually use Superchargers vs home and destination charging. I've had my car since Feb and used a Supercharger literally once so far. When I ordered my car, the biggest referral benefit to me was actually the £750 discount on the order (i.e. when a referral gave you free Supercharging + £750 discount). At various times Tesla have offered a discount or service/accessory credit on top of the free charging, so they may well go down that route again but maybe sans free charging. They have to offer something otherwise the whole referral program will come to an end (also a possibility, but I doubt it).

cap the ongoing cost of free Supercharging.

Not sure why they would bother ... but maybe its being abused.

12% of my 27,000 miles p.a. are Supercharger, that's £100 a year, or less. As M3 ramps up, and their drivers contribute to Supercharger operating costs, I think MS / MX / M3P owners usage will become a small enough proportion, and also taking into account purchase price, that its "not a lot"

I'm off to Edinburgh in a while, driving because "its free", but TBH for us here in the UK, with high fuel duty tax (compared to e.g. USA) the cost of Juice is tiny whichever way you look at it, so its only the physiological benefit as @DJP31 said.

Current-owner-only is, what, average 3 years? So giving one-year is only saving £200 per car ...

£750 discount

Is that what $1,200 has become? It was £833.33 back in the day (which would be $1.20 to the £) (and plug-in grant then was £5K, AP1 £1,750 and deposit £2K)

otherwise the whole referral program will come to an end (also a possibility, but I doubt it).

Sure. Tesla would have to start paying an advertising agency instead of slow-paying, or failing-to-pay, all their referrer agents ... like you and me :(

Is that what $1,200 has become? It was £833.33 back in the day (which would be $1.20 to the £) (and plug-in grant then was £5K, AP1 £1,750 and deposit £2K)

No, I think it was a $1000 discount in the US at the time I ordered (so $1.33 / £) and the govt grant was £4,500, AP2 was £4,700 etc. Interest on custom order was 1.5% APR (late Sept 2017 order). The car would be a fair bit more expensive on a PCP today and slightly cheaper cash now PUP is included (assuming you were going to add PUP that is!)

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    83 bytes · Views: 40
Reactions: WannabeOwner