Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is regen same across all models?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I always wondered the benefits of a dual motor. We got a SLR because its a 4th car and only used as a daily 40 mile roundtrip commuter. Makes sense that only the wheels with the motor could do regen.

My question is- Is that how the car gets the longer range solely on the dual motors regen? I always assumed the AWD had more batteries or something for the range.

When we test drove a dual motor it seemed more "jerky" on stops to us...the SLR seemed "smoother" at the time we didn't really know why. Maybe it was both motor's regen "kicking in"?

View attachment 714081
Maybe and regarding range I thought it was just battery as well.

Reactions: SaintMickey®
I always wondered the benefits of a dual motor. We got a SLR because its a 4th car and only used as a daily 40 mile roundtrip commuter. Makes sense that only the wheels with the motor could do regen.

My question is- Is that how the car gets the longer range solely on the dual motors regen? I always assumed the AWD had more batteries or something for the range.

When we test drove a dual motor it seemed more "jerky" on stops to us...the SLR seemed "smoother" at the time we didn't really know why. Maybe it was both motor's regen "kicking in"?

View attachment 714081
The dual motor cars have a larger battery, hence the longer range. The reason for dual motors is traction. If it was jerky it wasn't because of the dual motors both regening since only the rear motor is used.

It's definitely highly biased toward regen from the rear motor only, but I don't think it's accurate to say it doesn't regen on the front at all (for me at least, 2018 dual motor 3). Here's a screenshot from a quick drive I just did showing the front motor peaking at 9.5kW of regen. This was just a short local drive with speeds of only 40-50 mph. I haven't specifically looked at this in a while though so can't say when the front typically kicks in.

1635982205722.png

Reactions: android04 and Stach
It's definitely highly biased toward regen from the rear motor only, but I don't think it's accurate to say it doesn't regen on the front at all (for me at least, 2018 dual motor 3). Here's a screenshot from a quick drive I just did showing the front motor peaking at 9.5kW of regen. This was just a short local drive with speeds of only 40-50 mph. I haven't specifically looked at this in a while though so can't say when the front typically kicks in.
I have only seen regen from the rear motor of my MY AWD (via tesLAX), but I haven't tried at a variety of speeds or road conditions. Now that winter is almost here, I will keep my eye on regen and test a few different scenarios, to see if I can see any front motor regen.

I wasn't watching the real time data since I had FSD beta engaged which I was watching like a hawk. I tend to agree that under normal conditions it's basically 100% from the rear motor though. I think I only saw the brief spikes under really narrow circumstances like very low speed (10mph) and abruptly switching from light accelerator application to full regen (foot off pedal), and even then it was just a blip. I'd be curious if anyone finds scenarios where real power is coming from the front motor.