Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is service plan worth it for low mileage driver?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to figure out if the service plan is worth it for me. I bought a 90D about 5 weeks ago. Expected mileage, even with the "Tesla bump", is only about 6-7k a year (I work from home and don't drive a lot). Also, it's pretty likely that I will upgrade to the latest & greatest in 3 years, so buying anything more than a 3-year contract may not make sense.

Given these variables, is there any reason to get the plan? Would I even need the 12,500/1-year service at the end of year one, since I'm only driving about half those miles? Which parts of the service (if any) are based on time, and which are based on miles driven?

Tesla recommends doing the service every year or every 12,500 miles. Of course they make a fortune on the service, so its in their best interest to have you come in as often as possible. Up to you to decide if you want to come in every year, every other year, every third year, or whenever. If you're going to follow Tesla's guidance, then it makes sense to get the plan, as it will save you money.

Given your driving habits and the fact that not getting scheduled maintenance done won't void warranty, I would opt out of prepaid. If you feel the inclination, you could always get it done a-la-carte. I have heard from several Model S owners not visiting the service center for 3-4 years.

I don't believe that it is worth it for any driver. it's a pay me now or pay me later situation. your warranty will cover you for years to come and you'll probably be upgrading your car before it is out of warranty.

I too am a very low mileage driver. I just ordered my car and will do the annual service, so I am going to get the plan.

I haven't looked into this part of it - I assume the plan not only gives you a lower per visit cost today, but also protects you from price increases. Good deal over a longer period of time.

I don't know the exact numbers on the Tesla version of the Tesla service plan but my gut says that this is like extended warranties/service plans in general. If you believe in them and you are highly risk adverse them you should buy this plan.

Personally I never buy extended warranties, including in my business where that bill would be about $40k per year for all the equipment we own. There I play the odds, figuring something will die every other year or so and I'll replace it when it does, costing us $20-40k. Net savings is in my favor.

If Tesla offers a tire plan I will buy it. The streets and alleys near me are brutal, I get a flat tire once or twice each year. On my last lease (acura) I didn't buy the tire protection and I had to replace one for about $400. Probably break even, but one more and I was way behind. I also repaired 2 or 3 tires in that time.

Extended
I don't think so. The 12,500 mile service doesn't do much. Tire rotation, FOB batteries, tighten loose bolts. The 25,000 mile service is more comprehensive. Also includes brakes, A/C, alignment.

I prepaid $1900 for 4 visits. Otherwise cost is $600 per visit.

Extended service plan is refundable if you sell the car before you use it. New buyer can assume your plan, but can't buy it on their own.