Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is sitting in the car while being supercharged dangerous?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not knowing where to post this topic or if it has been posted in the past or if this is a silly question, but here goes: Is sitting in the car while it is being supercharged dangerous for people sitting in the car?

I know, stupid/silly question.

But since I am sitting in the car being supercharged, I might as well post this thread while waiting for another 30 minutes.

I just hope that I do not grow another testicle in the next few years.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the absolute level of risk, but on a relative level, I know that Tesla is far ahead of the competition on battery cooling. I feel safer in a Tesla supercharging than I would in a Leaf or a Kona EV on a DC fast charge.

Well, you might be accosted by curious strangers who want to know about your weird electric car. Is that the kind of risk you had in mind?

(I've had some interesting conversations at Superchargers. Lots of folks have some odd ideas about EVs, but many of them were surprisingly open to learning different.)

Reactions: dhrivnak
Be sure to pay close attention to the part that discusses ionizing vs. non-ionizing radiation. It’s relevant.

I'm thinking it was supposed to be a joke - low energy radiation won't penetrate the car body shell, even if it was being generated somehow.

There's more of an argument for magnetic flux, but the usually main source is transformers or rectifiers - and in the case of a DCFC, that's over in the cabinet, quite a ways from the car and occupant.

(And the health effects of magnetic flux are at best debatable, with limited and conflicting evidence.)

Eye ave Beene zuperchergeene hundriddds a tiimez and eyeimm phine.

Unknown-1.jpeg

I am not sure I get the question. Dangerous how and compared to what? What risks are you trying to assess (robbery, car fire, meteorite hit, natural disaster, drive-by shootings)? What are the alternatives you are comparing to, are you asking if it's more dangerous than sitting on the curb next to the car, walking around, going somewhere on foot or via Uber, attempting skateboard stunts in the parking lot?

Reactions: GSP
Compared to fueling an ICE, supercharging should be safer since a combustible fuel isn't being exposed like in this scene from Zoolander.

With the ability to have interior power and HVAC while supercharging, waiting inside the vehicle during supercharging is often more comfortable than waiting at a place around the supercharging (hotel, gas station, …).

Tesla uses tapering to manage the power being applied to the pack - and with so few reports of battery fires over the last 6 years since Superchargers were first introduced, the probability of having a fire while supercharging is extremely low...

Reactions: dhrivnak and PrGrPa
I saw a post yesterday where a guy was robbed at gunpoint while charging at the Topeka KS supercharger at 3 am in the morning. The guy walked up to his car and showed his gun. Nothing he could do, since you can't drive off while the car is plugged in.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP