Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is sitting in the car while being supercharged dangerous?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recall someone's car got hit by lightning while supercharging--talk about a fast charge. I usually get out and walk around. You are vulnerable just sitting in your car while plugged in. I have thought about bringing a lawn chair so I would have somewhere to sit outside the car.

Given the amount of times I've Supercharged during the past six plus years, if something was going to happen it would have happened by now.

This is absolutely wrong. If you had superpowers resulting from being exposed to supercharging for 6 years, how would you know? The amount of effort and trial and error required to see if you have gained an ability such as flying, would require significantly more than you have expended. You could have half of superman's powers and not even know it.

I recall someone's car got hit by lightning while supercharging--talk about a fast charge. I usually get out and walk around. You are vulnerable just sitting in your car while plugged in. I have thought about bringing a lawn chair so I would have somewhere to sit outside the car.

Please stay inside your car during lightning storms. The metal cage surrounding you is insulated somewhat from the ground by the rubber tires and the cage will direct the current AROUND your body (rather than through it). You would be a sitting duck in a lawn chair!

This guy almost died while fueling his gasoline-powered car:

However, in a gas car the experts recommend NOT getting back inside during fueling (due to the risk of static electricity igniting the fuel). Also, avoid breathing the gasoline vapors as they are quite toxic to humans. Here is a list of other precautions to take when fueling with gasoline:

Staying Safe at the Pump

Also, if you think underground fuel tanks are safe because they are out of sight, think again. This one caused a huge crater when it got a direct hit from lightning:

Unfortunately, some Superchargers are too close to gas stations for safety. Gasoline can be so explosive that everyone within 100 yards is at risk: