Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Sleep Mode Broken in 5.8?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sleep mode works fine for me in firmware 5.6. The vampire loss on this firmware version is less than 3 miles a day.

But since upgrading to firmware 5.8, the sleep mode seems to be broken. The vampire loss is now 12 miles a day. I don't think the car is really 'sleeping' either, because I was able to connect to the car using the app instantly throughout the day. With firmware 5.6, there's a long wait (up to 45 seconds) to wake up the car.

By the way, I have rebooted the console and it didn't help.

Sleep is definitely working on 5.8 in my car. I can tell by the fact that the dash has to wake up when I get in the car, the mobile app will report that it's "waking the car" and the VisibaleTesla app will report that the car is sleeping peacefully.

Having said that, I still seem to be losing range while parked. I lost about 4 miles from 8:30 am to noon the other day at work. If my overnight scheduled charge ends early, my range is always a few miles less than if I schedule it to end shortly before I head out. And I have done the reset and reboot thing that jerry33 mentions. I'm not personally that worried about it, but it is curious.

I was beginning to wonder if the vampire loss had really been reduced in 5.8 as I was getting numbers in the area of about 7 miles in 24 hours. However, those measurements were done comparing a warm battery at the start (right after charging or after driving) with a cold (45F) battery the next day. Just now, comparing cold to cold, I got 2 miles / 24 hours.

Last edited:
There have been reports of 5.8 sleep mode not working on MS60 only. I haven't upgraded yet from 4.5 so can't give a confirmation. What model is yours?

I have the standard 85kwh. Tried rebooting the console while toggling the sleep mode setting on and off. After 4 hours, 1.5 mile was lost so it doesn't seem to work. My garage temp is in the high 60s and low 70s throughout the day.

I have the standard 85kwh. Tried rebooting the console while toggling the sleep mode setting on and off. After 4 hours, 1.5 mile was lost so it doesn't seem to work. My garage temp is in the high 60s and low 70s throughout the day.

It is actually sleeping? i.e. when you open the door does the dash wake and show the Tesla T for a but before the speedometer shows up?

Mine is definitely sleeping (I have .24). It look like it is loosing about 2 miles per 12 hours.

Sleep mode was pretty inconsistent on my car in both 5.6 -- sometimes lost near nothing, other times seemed a bit worse than 4.5.

But it hasn't worked at all since going to 5.8. The car appears to be asleep (dash has to wake, mobile app takes longer to load, etc). But I'm still losing mileage. I haven't been tracking closely, but will for the next few days and call service. I've rebooted both screens, and have toggled the sleep settings switch -- no luck...

it looks like it's lost 4 miles while parked in the garage for the last ~6 hours. Just woke it with the app to check. Will check again in the morning...

I have been avoiding 5.8. Still on 5.6. Sleep mode is extremely unreliable. At times, the car is awake after 8+ hours of non-use. Today, it went to sleep on me after only 5 minutes.
I get the impression that 5.8 is no different.

I have been avoiding 5.8. Still on 5.6. Sleep mode is extremely unreliable. At times, the car is awake after 8+ hours of non-use. Today, it went to sleep on me after only 5 minutes.
I get the impression that 5.8 is no different.

I've found sleep mode to be quite reliable in 5.6. Don't know about 5.8.

Agree with others that sleep mode is unreliable. Sometimes the car will fall asleep within a matter of minutes, while other times it takes over 4 hours to do so. I just lost 4 miles over 18 hours or roughly 5.3 miles/day. Better than 4.5, but I think it would be improved a lot if the car would consistently fall asleep in a more reasonable timeframe (i.e. < 30 minutes).

Sleep mode was pretty inconsistent on my car in both 5.6 -- sometimes lost near nothing, other times seemed a bit worse than 4.5.

But it hasn't worked at all since going to 5.8. The car appears to be asleep (dash has to wake, mobile app takes longer to load, etc). But I'm still losing mileage. I haven't been tracking closely, but will for the next few days and call service. I've rebooted both screens, and have toggled the sleep settings switch -- no luck...

it looks like it's lost 4 miles while parked in the garage for the last ~6 hours. Just woke it with the app to check. Will check again in the morning...

Lost 10 miles in 24 hours and 6 miles in just under 18 hours. Car is parked in my garage and hasn't been driven. I checked the status with the App 3 times, and opened a door to get my daughter's booster seat out so she could go with gramma for the afternoon...

That is worse than 4.5...

Sleep is definitely working on 5.8 in my car. I can tell by the fact that the dash has to wake up when I get in the car, the mobile app will report that it's "waking the car" and the VisibaleTesla app will report that the car is sleeping peacefully.

Having said that, I still seem to be losing range while parked. I lost about 4 miles from 8:30 am to noon the other day at work. If my overnight scheduled charge ends early, my range is always a few miles less than if I schedule it to end shortly before I head out. And I have done the reset and reboot thing that jerry33 mentions. I'm not personally that worried about it, but it is curious.

It's working...but you lost 4 miles in 3.5 hours at work? I know it takes a while to get into sleep mode, but that doesn't seem any better than pre-sleep (maybe worse?). Coupled with other comments in this thread, it sounds like sleep's got some kinks to be worked out by Tesla. ;-(

Agree with others that sleep mode is unreliable. Sometimes the car will fall asleep within a matter of minutes, while other times it takes over 4 hours to do so. I just lost 4 miles over 18 hours or roughly 5.3 miles/day. Better than 4.5, but I think it would be improved a lot if the car would consistently fall asleep in a more reasonable timeframe (i.e. < 30 minutes).

I have seen the same results on 5.8, I have had it where the car didn't sleep for the 8 hours at work but I have also had it sleep when I forgot something in the house ran in quick came back out about 1 minute later and it had to wake up again.