TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is "sleep mode" really coming back?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Stimyg, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Stimyg

Stimyg Member

Does anyone know if the "sleep mode" is really coming back? This vampire load issue is a particularly big problem for me because I park in a NYC garage and won't be plugged in for weeks at a time.

Also, there was a "sleep mode" previously, correct? How did it function - was it difficult to enter or exit? Again, thinking about the valets who will be parking the car.

2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

As I recall, at the meeting in Norway someone asked about sleep mode and Mr Musk said that it had been backed out because of problems but it would be in place before the European release (2013Q4).

3. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Active Member

Sleep mode did exist, in 4.1. There were issues when the computers woke back up sometimes, which led them to pull the feature in 4.2 (and still out in 4.3). I believe they are taking their time making sure it works right before re-introducing. There are multiple statements from various folks within Tesla assuring us that it is coming back.

In 4.1 there was a setting to allow or disallow sleep mode. After that, the computers automatically went into a low power state after being idle for a while. On startup, the screens took a few seconds to power up, instead of being instantly available.

4. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

Yes, and I am sure it is either at the top of their list or in the top 2 of 'things to do'.
    I don't know what it will look like when it is once again added, however, the last time it was simply a toggle in the controls. You turned it on, and when the car turned off it would automatically enter sleep mode (as I recall the was a short delay).

5. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

My hope is that the reason it's taking so long is that they really want to do it correctly this time. It should be good enough that it doesn't require an option be enabled, it just doesn't waste energy.

6. ohh

ohh Member

That is my recollection as well

7. bluetinc

bluetinc Member

I just have to point out that the option was not there because it was not done correctly. The option was there because not having the car systems "wasting energy" changes how the car responds as you get into it. The energy is wasted because the computers are running all the time and shutting computers down to save energy works great, but they do take time to start back up, and people generally would like to have them come back up in the same exact state that they were when they turned them off. This takes time, so when you get back to your car it would take a few extra seconds to be ready to drive. For some people that doesn't matter at all, and others want the car ready the second they sit down. Hence the setting.

Peter

8. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

My iPad turns on instantly and with exactly the same state as when I turned it off. As a software engineer of 25 years I dispute the notion that it is necessary to use 3kWh per day in order to have the car be responsive.

9. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

I would give up a gigabyte or so of my "music" memory space (as promised by Tesla) to cache an image of the working storage for instant on/off.... This is not necessarily a practical suggestion, just another idea to demonstrate that there clearly are many ways to make sleep mode fast and practical. I too hope Tesla is working hard on solving this problem. Banish the vampire!

10. steve841

steve841 Active Member

I hope it comes back.... I had zero issues with sleep mode ... The boot up time was completely acceptable.... And near zero mileage loss overnight made it cost saving as well.

11. bluetinc

bluetinc Member

Yes it does, as long as by "instantly" you agree that it really wasn't turned "off". If you truly boot the iPad up, it takes a good bit longer. When you say "off" it's really "on" but waiting for you to push a button just like your S is now, but it also used up just a bit of energy to sit there ready to be turned back on when you just hit the home button. If you happen to leave the iPad sitting around untouched, you might notice the battery dropped 1-2% in a day, (which is just under the amount people want reduced here).

Peter

12. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Wasn't there an option to disable sleep mode? If so, I don't see what justification there was for taking sleep mode away.

13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

There were some significant bugs, especially -- IIRC -- correlated to the 12V battery problems. It wasn't the "delayed wake-up" that caused them to backpedal on the feature.

14. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

As well the engineering teams for the LEAF and Volt had this working from day 1. The cool thing is that Tesla provides upgrades over the air without going to the dealer. A very impressive feat. Thanks to you early adopters of the Tesla products because it made me put a deposit down.

15. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Well the iPad has a much smaller battery, so the corresponding loss in the Tesla would be insignificant. Really the touchscreen should not draw anymore power than an ipad with 3G when in "sleep" mode. It also uses Tegra 3 processors which are supposed to be extremely efficient. In a sleep state, they will consume even less power. As a reference point, my desktop consumes 1 watt of power when in standby and boots up in 2 sec. Tesla should try to achieve similar results with the Model S touchscreen.

obviously there are other systems that need to be placed on standby, but the touchscreen should be able to resume almost instantaneously. There is no reason to completely "shutdown" the display.

16. Volker.Berlin

Volker.Berlin Member

Except that the first European deliveries are scheduled for Q3. :)

17. Stimyg

Stimyg Member

I have to think there's more going on tha just putting it to sleep like a computer. Sounds like the 12 volt battery getting drained was an issue, and if it's taken this long and they still don't have a software update, I doubt it's a simple bug. Hopefully they can find a workaround without having to physically repair cars.