Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is "sleep mode" really coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if the "sleep mode" is really coming back? This vampire load issue is a particularly big problem for me because I park in a NYC garage and won't be plugged in for weeks at a time.

Also, there was a "sleep mode" previously, correct? How did it function - was it difficult to enter or exit? Again, thinking about the valets who will be parking the car.

Does anyone know if the "sleep mode" is really coming back? This vampire load issue is a particularly big problem for me because I park in a NYC garage and won't be plugged in for weeks at a time.

Also, there was a "sleep mode" previously, correct? How did it function - was it difficult to enter or exit? Again, thinking about the valets who will be parking the car.

As I recall, at the meeting in Norway someone asked about sleep mode and Mr Musk said that it had been backed out because of problems but it would be in place before the European release (2013Q4).

Sleep mode did exist, in 4.1. There were issues when the computers woke back up sometimes, which led them to pull the feature in 4.2 (and still out in 4.3). I believe they are taking their time making sure it works right before re-introducing. There are multiple statements from various folks within Tesla assuring us that it is coming back.

In 4.1 there was a setting to allow or disallow sleep mode. After that, the computers automatically went into a low power state after being idle for a while. On startup, the screens took a few seconds to power up, instead of being instantly available.

Yes, and I am sure it is either at the top of their list or in the top 2 of 'things to do'.
I don't know what it will look like when it is once again added, however, the last time it was simply a toggle in the controls. You turned it on, and when the car turned off it would automatically enter sleep mode (as I recall the was a short delay).

I just have to point out that the option was not there because it was not done correctly. The option was there because not having the car systems "wasting energy" changes how the car responds as you get into it. The energy is wasted because the computers are running all the time and shutting computers down to save energy works great, but they do take time to start back up, and people generally would like to have them come back up in the same exact state that they were when they turned them off. This takes time, so when you get back to your car it would take a few extra seconds to be ready to drive. For some people that doesn't matter at all, and others want the car ready the second they sit down. Hence the setting.

Peter

My hope is that the reason it's taking so long is that they really want to do it correctly this time. It should be good enough that it doesn't require an option be enabled, it just doesn't waste energy.

I just have to point out that the option was not there because it was not done correctly. The option was there because not having the car systems "wasting energy" changes how the car responds as you get into it. The energy is wasted because the computers are running all the time and shutting computers down to save energy works great, but they do take time to start back up, and people generally would like to have them come back up in the same exact state that they were when they turned them off. This takes time, so when you get back to your car it would take a few extra seconds to be ready to drive. For some people that doesn't matter at all, and others want the car ready the second they sit down. Hence the setting.

Peter

My iPad turns on instantly and with exactly the same state as when I turned it off. As a software engineer of 25 years I dispute the notion that it is necessary to use 3kWh per day in order to have the car be responsive.

Peter

I would give up a gigabyte or so of my "music" memory space (as promised by Tesla) to cache an image of the working storage for instant on/off.... This is not necessarily a practical suggestion, just another idea to demonstrate that there clearly are many ways to make sleep mode fast and practical. I too hope Tesla is working hard on solving this problem. Banish the vampire!

Yes it does, as long as by "instantly" you agree that it really wasn't turned "off". If you truly boot the iPad up, it takes a good bit longer. When you say "off" it's really "on" but waiting for you to push a button just like your S is now, but it also used up just a bit of energy to sit there ready to be turned back on when you just hit the home button. If you happen to leave the iPad sitting around untouched, you might notice the battery dropped 1-2% in a day, (which is just under the amount people want reduced here).

Peter

My iPad turns on instantly and with exactly the same state as when I turned it off. As a software engineer of 25 years I dispute the notion that it is necessary to use 3kWh per day in order to have the car be responsive.

Peter

Wasn't there an option to disable sleep mode? If so, I don't see what justification there was for taking sleep mode away.

As well the engineering teams for the LEAF and Volt had this working from day 1. The cool thing is that Tesla provides upgrades over the air without going to the dealer. A very impressive feat. Thanks to you early adopters of the Tesla products because it made me put a deposit down.

If you happen to leave the iPad sitting around untouched, you might notice the battery dropped 1-2% in a day, (which is just under the amount people want reduced here).

Peter

Well the iPad has a much smaller battery, so the corresponding loss in the Tesla would be insignificant. Really the touchscreen should not draw anymore power than an ipad with 3G when in "sleep" mode. It also uses Tegra 3 processors which are supposed to be extremely efficient. In a sleep state, they will consume even less power. As a reference point, my desktop consumes 1 watt of power when in standby and boots up in 2 sec. Tesla should try to achieve similar results with the Model S touchscreen.

obviously there are other systems that need to be placed on standby, but the touchscreen should be able to resume almost instantaneously. There is no reason to completely "shutdown" the display.

I have to think there's more going on tha just putting it to sleep like a computer. Sounds like the 12 volt battery getting drained was an issue, and if it's taken this long and they still don't have a software update, I doubt it's a simple bug. Hopefully they can find a workaround without having to physically repair cars.