Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is software insured?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If your insurance doesn't say FSD is excluded then it's included.

That's not really how insurance works.

I
Auto pilot or adductive cruise control is included so why not FSD as you still need your hands on the steering wheel and be in control at all times.

Nobody cares where your hands need to be.

But AP comes standard on all Teslas now (other than the SR).

FSD does not.

If you didn't buy it with the car, it won't appear on your window sticker or original purchase agreement for the car.

If you buy it later as essentially an add-on it may, or may not, be covered at all- depending on your policy and your state (and/or some specific combo of the two as it might vary by either)

Hence why anyone who buys after the car purchase ought speak to their company- among the many possibilities (and this list is not exhaustive)-

It's covered if you tell insurance about it (maybe with a receipt from tesla of some kind)
it's not covered since it didn't come with the car
it's only covered if you add a rider for coverage of an add-on post-purchase, otherwise it's not

Hence why anyone who buys after the car purchase ought speak to their company
Exactly. If you bought with the car and it’s in the MVPA that the insurance company has, then it’s covered. I had to send a copy of my MVPA to Allstate and I’m in NJ. Now, if it’s purchased afterwards, I think only your insurance company can answer the question if it will be covered or not.

If your insurance doesn't say FSD is excluded then it's included. Auto pilot or adductive cruise control is included so why not FSD as you still need your hands on the steering wheel and be in control at all times.

Geico didn't say anything about covering FSD.

I then asked them if they covered FSD software.

They then said..."We don't cover software".

I then called Allstate and a few other insurance companies. Some covered it and others didn't

Allstate covered all of my Tesla purchases of any substantial nature.

I'm not against or for any insurance company. Each one chooses to cover what they cover and don't cover what they don't cover.

I would encourage EVERYONE to ask. You don't want to be caught by surprise. Its a simple phone call.