Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

is Standby Mode draining your battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ok.....updated to V10. Played with everything turned on StandBy Mode (I believe it allows your car to be "Summon Ready" so its not as long a wait).

plugged in my car, regular 110v outlet. Normally my charging time was around 14 hours but this time it was 19.

made me raise an eyebrow so I checked my phone app 3 hours later and my charging time was almost the SAME.

....so after wracking my brain I figured it must be that StandBy mode.....went to the car, unplugged it, turned off StandBy mode plugged it back in and viola, the charging time went to 14 hours.

I have not investigated to see if that is indeed the case but I'm sure this may be of interest to those not as lazy as me.

Yes. Standby mode drains extra battery. I think it's slightly less than Sentry Mode, but not by that much...

I turned it off on mine. I don't really see a huge benefit of draining a decent amount of battery just so Smart Summon only takes 1 second instead of waiting the 10-20s for it to connect... but that's just me.

So I accidentally left Standby Mode on while car was parked at airport for 6 days. Model 3 LR AWD, ambient temperature was 55F most of the time (Seattle). A bit worrying as I watched battery discharge with nothing i could do, but at least allowed me to calibrate drain caused by this mode.

Battery drain was 0.236% per hour which is about ¾ mile of range per hour, or about 18 miles per day.

The big problem here, to my mind, is there is NO WAY to disable this mode from the phone app, unlike (say) Sentry Mode. This is a big hole and its only a matter of time before someone bricks their car.

If you agree, please join with me in asking Tesla to PLEASE add control of Standby Mode to the phone app. (In this case I did get back to car in time, but it wasnt fun wondering if i would have a dead car when i returned.)

So I accidentally left Standby Mode on while car was parked at airport for 6 days. Model 3 LR AWD, ambient temperature was 55F most of the time (Seattle). A bit worrying as I watched battery discharge with nothing i could do, but at least allowed me to calibrate drain caused by this mode.

Battery drain was 0.236% per hour which is about ¾ mile of range per hour, or about 18 miles per day.

The big problem here, to my mind, is there is NO WAY to disable this mode from the phone app, unlike (say) Sentry Mode. This is a big hole and its only a matter of time before someone bricks their car.

If you agree, please join with me in asking Tesla to PLEASE add control of Standby Mode to the phone app. (In this case I did get back to car in time, but it wasnt fun wondering if i would have a dead car when i returned.)

I'm definitely with you however it may disable itself when the battery reaches under 20%. Either way I hope Tesla see's this and works to make it better.