Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Sub Zero package needed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not anTesla owner yet so I have a question. I'm in the Midwest where winters are cold and I've had heated seats in my cars for at least 10 years.

With the ability to heat up the car from your phone app do you really even need heated seats? I understand it takes range away but are there any other negatives other then that?

I'd be interested to hear from any midwest owners and if they do or don't have the sub zero package and would they change their decision in the future. Thanks!

Package comes with heated steering wheel. Worth it just for that.

Not anTesla owner yet so I have a question. I'm in the Midwest where winters are cold and I've had heated seats in my cars for at least 10 years.

With the ability to heat up the car from your phone app do you really even need heated seats? I understand it takes range away but are there any other negatives other then that?

I'd be interested to hear from any midwest owners and if they do or don't have the sub zero package and would they change their decision in the future. Thanks!

Minnesota owner through 3 winters, I do not have the winter package.
If I were buying today, I would get it.
The heated steering wheel would be wonderful.
If we had passengers often we would also appreciate the heated rear seats.

However, Midwest winters are certainly survivable without.

Northeast owner here. After one winter, I wish I went with this package. When driving in wet snow, the wipers get ice build up. I think the wiper blade defroster would resolve this. Heated steering wheel and heated seats for the kids would just be a bonus.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I didn't understand that heated front seats were standard and not part of the sub zero package. I'll be in the used market and I don't see too many that have that package. I wonder what % roll off the assembly line with the sub zero package. I bet it's less then 15-20%.

You save on range with rear heated seats since heating the cabin takes a lot more energy than the seats. If you have kids in the back it's a must in my opinion for cold climates.

Subzero package is one of our 'must haves' which has so far limited our ability to buy an inventory car. If you get a car with the executive rear seats, the subzero package is required.

Please read this blog - from a guy in Ottawa ( which is the second coldest capital city in the world). It answers a lot of questions.....

Cold Weather Driving - Blogs - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

I could go either way on that personally. However, I think the heated steering wheel should be standard. I am sure there are others, like me, that are ONLY interested in the heated steering wheel out of the whole package.

Yup. I wanted the cold weather package but my car will be garaged. So I thought I would save a thousand bucks. Heated steering wheel is the only thin I really wanted.

The two things I went back and forth on before ordering were the sub zero package and air suspension. I ended up going for both. The thing that swayed me on the sub zero package was something already mentioned here and that's wipers icing up. I'm in Utah and it's fairly rare to get super cold but even when it's just fairly cold and snowing the build up of snow and ice on the wipers has caused me to pull over more than once to clean off the wipers. Hopefully I'll not have to do that with the wipers being heated.

The two things I went back and forth on before ordering were the sub zero package and air suspension. I ended up going for both. The thing that swayed me on the sub zero package was something already mentioned here and that's wipers icing up. I'm in Utah and it's fairly rare to get super cold but even when it's just fairly cold and snowing the build up of snow and ice on the wipers has caused me to pull over more than once to clean off the wipers. Hopefully I'll not have to do that with the wipers being heated.

I don't think the wipers themselves are heated, but rather the windshield area they rest on when they are retracted.