TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is Sub Zero package needed?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by baoconnor, Apr 26, 2015.

1. baoconnor

baoconnor Member

Not anTesla owner yet so I have a question. I'm in the Midwest where winters are cold and I've had heated seats in my cars for at least 10 years.

With the ability to heat up the car from your phone app do you really even need heated seats? I understand it takes range away but are there any other negatives other then that?

I'd be interested to hear from any midwest owners and if they do or don't have the sub zero package and would they change their decision in the future. Thanks!

2. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

Package comes with heated steering wheel. Worth it just for that.

3. tga

tga Active Member

Front heated seats are standard. Subzero add rear seat heaters, heated steering wheel, washer nozzles, and wiper parking area.

4. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

Minnesota owner through 3 winters, I do not have the winter package.
    If I were buying today, I would get it.
    The heated steering wheel would be wonderful.
    If we had passengers often we would also appreciate the heated rear seats.

However, Midwest winters are certainly survivable without.

5. jgs

jgs Member

The heated steering wheel alone was worth the price of entry as far as I'm concerned. I would absolutely get it again.

6. shelbri

shelbri Member

Northeast owner here. After one winter, I wish I went with this package. When driving in wet snow, the wipers get ice build up. I think the wiper blade defroster would resolve this. Heated steering wheel and heated seats for the kids would just be a bonus.

7. baoconnor

baoconnor Member

Thanks for the replies. I guess I didn't understand that heated front seats were standard and not part of the sub zero package. I'll be in the used market and I don't see too many that have that package. I wonder what % roll off the assembly line with the sub zero package. I bet it's less then 15-20%.

8. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

You save on range with rear heated seats since heating the cabin takes a lot more energy than the seats. If you have kids in the back it's a must in my opinion for cold climates.

9. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Ditto. It's worth it, even in Dallas.

10. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

i wouldn't buy a tesla without sub zero

11. Tamar

Tamar Member

Subzero package is one of our 'must haves' which has so far limited our ability to buy an inventory car. If you get a car with the executive rear seats, the subzero package is required.

12. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Imo rear seat heaters should be a separate option

13. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

I could go either way on that personally. However, I think the heated steering wheel should be standard. I am sure there are others, like me, that are ONLY interested in the heated steering wheel out of the whole package.

14. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

That should be separate also!!

I can wear gloves, but my passengers have no other way to control their temperature!

15. invisik

invisik Member

The surface of the seats do not warm up much when pre-heating the cabin with climate control. We still use the heated seats regularly.

The heat for the wipers is pretty awesome.... I would get it again.

-m

16. DMC-Orangeville

DMC-Orangeville 85D and John Deere 5100E

Please read this blog - from a guy in Ottawa ( which is the second coldest capital city in the world). It answers a lot of questions.....

Cold Weather Driving - Blogs - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

17. pmoa

pmoa Member

Yup. I wanted the cold weather package but my car will be garaged. So I thought I would save a thousand bucks. Heated steering wheel is the only thin I really wanted.

18. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

The two things I went back and forth on before ordering were the sub zero package and air suspension. I ended up going for both. The thing that swayed me on the sub zero package was something already mentioned here and that's wipers icing up. I'm in Utah and it's fairly rare to get super cold but even when it's just fairly cold and snowing the build up of snow and ice on the wipers has caused me to pull over more than once to clean off the wipers. Hopefully I'll not have to do that with the wipers being heated.

19. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

I don't think the wipers themselves are heated, but rather the windshield area they rest on when they are retracted.

20. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

That is correct. The pads the wipers contact when all the way down are heated and that's what heats the blades. From what I could find online the system works well. I'll find out for sure in a few months. :)