Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Sub Zero package needed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Hong Kong, there is no snow during the winter, there is no need for any subzero package. However, it is blinded with the executive seat option. It is not fair for those who wanted the executive seat but has no necessity for the subzero package. Tesla should dis-link these two option.

Not anTesla owner yet so I have a question. I'm in the Midwest where winters are cold and I've had heated seats in my cars for at least 10 years.

With the ability to heat up the car from your phone app do you really even need heated seats? I understand it takes range away but are there any other negatives other then that?

I'd be interested to hear from any midwest owners and if they do or don't have the sub zero package and would they change their decision in the future. Thanks!

My current ride (Audi A6) is the first car I've owned with a heated steering wheel. Not going back to a car without one!

I got it, and to echo what others have said already: the heated steering wheel is worth the price alone (although I got the package when it was $750). I've used the rear heated seats plenty as my friend's girlfriend often hops in the back and asks "Could you heat my seat, please :biggrin: "

Even in what is supposed to be spring, I've used the heated steering wheel a lot. I have pretty poor circulation to the extremities so holding onto a warm steering wheel is nice.

Wasn't available when I ordered, but just by coincidence, I've had loaners twice now on really bad snow days. My take: The heated lower portion of the windshield is useless. The wiper blades turned into popsicles and I still had a ton of snow/ice buildup in the area. The system will time out and shut off so you have to keep opening the settings screen to turn it back on. I rarely have rear seat passengers, so rear heated seats are not that important to me. What I did notice, however, is that there are no rear controls, so someone in the front has to go into the settings and control it for your rear passengers. I've never had a problem with frozen washers, but I always use a high grade fluid. Neither of the loaners I had came with the heated steering wheel, and I imagine that would be nice. I use the app to pre-heat my car and find the wheel and seats are usually warm enough that I don't even need the seat heaters. Bottom line: I would order it simply to have a well equipped car, but don't feel I'm missing out on anything by not having it on my current car. The one newer feature I really do wish I had are the parking sensors, also not available when I ordered.

In previous cars, I've found that heated seats and a heated steering wheel make a huge difference in whether you find the ambient temperature in the car too cold or not. Even with gloves on, the heated wheel makes life better. And because you're gripping the wheel fairly tightly, most gloves aren't much help if the wheel is frozen-cold and not heated!

Given that I like to be warm, and that the cheapest option on the list was the Sub-Zero package, it was an easy decision for me! :cool:

You piqued my curiosity re #1, so I had to look it up (What is Ulan Bator, Alex?) However, this list puts Ottawa at #7: Coldest Capital Cities of the World
I stand corrected. This was a "fact" from grade school in the 60's..... Estonia and Kazakhstan weren't countries then, but I was misinformed. I was told it was Moscow , then Ottawa. Hmph; Canadian education system....

BUT IT'S STILL IN THE TOP TEN! (and cold in the winter)