Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Subaru WRX faster/quicker than Corvette?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday at work going to lunch, a 21-year-old coworker got all excited about a WRX that was idling and said he would like to race him.

I said, "you would get beat big time, that car has a turbo and all-wheel drive, your car (Scion TC) has no turbo and is front-wheel drive."

I walked over as he was asking the owner about the car, he asked if it had one or two turbochargers, the guy didn't know and I said probably one as it's a 4 cylinder.

The owner has just gotten it and the temporary license plate said it was 2016, he popped the hood and I noticed the intercooler right above the engine, and the air scoop on the hood must ram air through the intercooler.

Guy said it runs 0-60 in 3.8 seconds. I didn't ask how much horsepower or torque or vehicle weight was.

Later I googled 1999 C5 6 speed 0-60 and saw that it may have been 4.5 seconds?

I'm sure that would beat a stock non Z06 C5?

The last 20 years have seen a big jump in performance, and comparing cars of such different ages is silly.
An Accord from today probably beats an 80s supercar in all performance metrics.

A 1999 Vette was 350hp from a 5.7l performance was hampered a bit by "torque management" which reduced power during transmission shifts.
For comparison the middle of the road engine in my wife's 2014 Impala is a 3.6l pushing 305hp to the front tires.

I had this huge speech and was about to come and type about traction and AWD and yada yada ( thinking we were talking about current cars) but...... I'm not sure what a '16 WRX runs but, yeah........ Comparably..... The C5 was quick for its time, especially the Z06, but it is crazy to think how long ago that was.

I had a Dark Bowling Green Metallic 2000 C5 with a manual transmission that I eventually modded out with a 402 cubic inch engine and a Procharger D1SC supercharger on it... Fun times, made lots of friends...... Miss that car.... :(

I don't believe Subby WRXs are that fast, and a quick Googling showed it to be in the mid 5s. Sat in one driven by a friend and it did not have anywhere near the power of my LR RWD. I also wouldn't take the word of a guy about his car's performance if he didn't even know how many turbochargers were in it.

Reactions: byeLT4
It really depends how modified the car is and how good the driver is. If it is a bone stock 2016 WRX it is probably 0-60 in the mid 5 second range. If it is tuned to something like a Cobb stage 2 level you might see mid 4s 0-60 with a great launch. They are fun cars and pretty quick but certainly not world beating. I think a stock WRX would have a hard time beating a SR+ Model 3 in a drag race.

I used to have a 2002 WRX wagon that I had done a good amount of work to (exhaust, turbo, tune, downpipe, etc...) and it was mid 4s 0-60 with a low 13 second quarter mile on street tires.

If people really put work into the WRX it can be quick. There were some local guys that hit mid 11s in the quarter mile and about 450 wheel horsepower on the dyno but that was with a lot of $$ and wrench time.