TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is Suntek PPF just as good as XPel?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by DCEV, Jul 26, 2019.

1. DCEV

DCEV Member

I'm getting closer to having at least the front end of my car wrapped and wanted to see what the consensus was for Model S PPF wraps. I found an installer for both XPel as well as Suntek PPF and wanted to see if one type of film was better than the other type or if they are both essentially the same.

Thanks for any info!

2. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

We have full SunTek wraps on both of our Model S and our Model 3. Very pleased.
    You can see several views on the Model S in my car wash video.

Tesla Car Wash !!!

Also here’s a thread I posted when It was installed in March ‘18.
    It’s a Wrap!

Teaser pic from that post...
    6BAB1AE3-3FA3-4498-9C9E-A2A1C44DDE45.jpeg

3. BlueOvalFan

BlueOvalFan Member

#3 BlueOvalFan, Jul 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    Personally I think they’re all the same. Touched my first piece of 3M Pro PPF last week and did my own hood. Although it’s not a perfect install it’s quite good to protect my front on my 80 mile round trip daily commute. Here’s a few pics from my iphone...carries a bit dirty when I snapped these.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 2
  4. Navsarin

Navsarin S100D Red Rocket

• Like x 1
  5. rooter

rooter Member

Did my whole car in Suntek and wouldn't again. It's protected the car from abrasions but is not self-healing.

Next time it's 3M.

6. DCEV

DCEV Member

#6 DCEV, Jul 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    I thought Suntek PPF had the "same" self healing properties. Did you try warm water/heat?

is there anything wrong with the self healing properties portrayed in this video?

• Like x 1
  7. DCEV

DCEV Member

Thanks! Any reason why you went with Suntek? Have you had any issues with scratches not "self healing?"

8. PhilDavid

PhilDavid Active Member

Are both Xpel and Suntek the same thickness and do they both offer the same level of protection from rock chips and hard scratches?

I'm also researching which film to get.

9. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

I had Suntek installed when I got my X almost two years ago because the local installer who does both said Suntek was easier to wrap around edges (and stay wrapped). I doubt there's that much difference compared to not wrapping. Love the performance of the wrap compared to nothing (GF's 3 has a chip on the frunk hood already after a few months, not a scratch anywhere on my X).

I would do what your installer recommends, as they are the expert and have the preference. My two cents. :D

• Like x 1
  10. BlueOvalFan

BlueOvalFan Member

I wouldn’t throw out 3M PRO line, seems to be the most economical and does the same job—protect against paint chips.

11. TMThree

TMThree Member

My car is suntek ultra. A month ago they came out with a super thick version, which would have been good for lower areas like bumper where its more likely to get hit.

Suntek and xpel aren't the same, from what I've read (and installer has told me) xpel has stronger adhesive. Adhesive strength is something that comes into play when you go to remove ppf (after 5 to 8 years). My installer charges more to remove xpel than suntek, and if you had a respray / repair and the adhesive bonds stronger to the paint than the car, you'll rip up the paint:

Clear Film Removal | Ask a Pro Blog

I use xpel tint though. prime xr plus.

• Informative x 1
  12. TMThree

TMThree Member

BTW one reason to pay more for the higher grade ppf is so that you get the 10 year warranty. That allows you to go back to your shop at 5 years, 8 years, etc and verify the ppf is still in good shape. If it needs replacing, it can be done under warranty. You don't want it on your car beyond its lifespan or it can bake into your paint.

13. KrenGrl

KrenGrl Member

I only know SunTek was on my 2016 CPO purchase. They claim installed new in May 2016. Still nice after 3 years, no marks. Don't know what xpel is.

• Informative x 1
  14. Simon21

Simon21 Member

#14 Simon21, Jul 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    I don't have any experience with suntek, but from I've read, suntek seems to have a better hydrophobic layer, but more installers prefer xpel for some reason. I'm not sure way. Maybe it's cheaper, maybe they don't have as many people coming back, maybe it's easier to install, etc.

As far as xpel is concerned, the guy on these forums that sells xpel precut kits used a pressure washer one time and the xpel piece came off. So I'm not sure how valid this 'too sticky' claim is.

I washed my car last week and applied bead maker at the end. I was in a hurry so I didn't do the best job. A week later, the car was quite dirty.

Today, all I did was rinse the car off with water from a hose and dry it with an electric air blower. I didn't use soap or even ONR on the parts with xpel. I was amazed at how the water came right off and the car looked like it was just detailed. The water came off easier from the parts with xpel. The few areas without xpel were cleaner after the rinse, but didn't look so shiny and might even leave some water marks. If I knew it was going to be so dramatic, I probably would have taken pictures or videos to post.

I think there isn't much difference between the two (or 3). You will be just as happy with either one. The installer is more important than the particular brand

15. Mike Robinson

Mike Robinson Member

I had Suntek installed on my new 2018 MS 100D (blue). I didn’t know about the available film choices. The installer I chose (ClearFilm in Roswell GA) had rave reviews, so I went with them and Suntek is what they recommended. They did an awesome job and I’m super pleased. I didn’t know that the Suntek film had great hydrophobic properties, so I had ceramic coating installed over the Suntek. I couldn’t be happier!

16. XPEL

XPEL Vendor

DCEV,

We may be a bit biased, but we will always give you honest feedback and support. While we don't like to speak to what others can or cannot do, we are happy to educate you on why XPEL is the best protection film for your Tesla.

XPEL is the originator of self-healing PPF. In 2011, ULTIMATE film came out and took the industry by storm. In fact, it was also the world's very first film to have a 10 year warranty, the first film to be non-yellowing, and the first film to be as stain resistant and easy to clean as it is. Through the years, we've only made improvements. In 2018, we released ULTIMATE PLUS which is ULTIMATE taken to a new level. It offers an even clearer finish to give you an even more true to factory finish. We also reengineered the adhesive so that your installer has more confidence resulting in higher quality installations.

Check out this video from Engineering Explained (2.3 million subscribers on YouTube) as he does a deep dive into How Paint Protection Films actually work.

Another factor to consider is how the film is going to fit your car (how good are the pre-cut kits?). That is an area where XPEL certainly shines as our DAP (Design Access Program) is the world's most robust and accurate pattern database. The majority of installers (including those who use another film) still cut using the XPEL software.

We hope this information has helped. Let us know if we can answer any questions or be of any assistance.

• Informative x 1
  17. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

Suntek doesn't have self healing. You'd need "Suntek Ultra" for that.

18. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Suntek has been on my S for over six years. Still looks just fine. It does't self heal, but the couple of places where that shows, self healing wouldn't have helped. Whichever PPF you choose, the expertise in installing is more important than the PPF manufacturer, so be sure to examine cars that he or she personally have done.

19. SunTek

SunTek Vendor

Our PPF C (5 year warranty) and PPF Ultra (10 year warranty) are both self-healingl, Ultra has increased longevity with HydroResist technology, but we've been making self-healing PPF for over 8 years.

If anyone has a situation with our PPF where you do not think the self-healing is occurring please reach out to the dealer, or to us directly on here and we would be glad to look into this for you.

20. SunTek

SunTek Vendor

Glad to see you doing the proper research to find a dealer/film that best suits you. You're not too far from our manufacturing facility located in Martinsville, Virginia.

We do offer both PPFC and PPF Ultra - with 5 and 10 year warranties respectively. Both films are self-healing with Ultra offering HydroResist technology for increased longevity. Feel free to send any questions you have our way, happy to answer them!

• Informative x 1