Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Supercharging like getting free lunch? Vs gas stations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering, if people complain about the fact you have to wait 30-60 minutes to supercharge, can you counter argue that supercharging is like getting a free lunch? Since most supercharging stations are placed near restaurants? And the cost of supercharging can be free or much cheaper than gas?

When you compare to the fact gas cars may "charge" or fill up faster, but have to pay $50-60 each time they do, thus where people complain about gas prices. And since most gas cars will eventually be sitting in a parking lot while their owners get lunch, are gas cars wasting their time just parking and not getting more cheap or free fuel?

I hope to go the entire 2019 year without going to a gas station, or only going a very few times. Gas stations are a pain in the ass, especially that I always use an app to try plan and find the cheapest gas station along my route. It's much easier to charge, especially that you can charge from home. I'm still on a 110W iphone outlet, but eventually will get a wall connector once I move to my planned house.

But since supercharging is free or very cheap, I feel it creates a problem of full stalls at peak hours. Just like how gas cars will wait in huge lines at Costco gas just because its slightly cheaper. So I guess things being free will still come at a cost: competing with other people for your time because it's free or cheap.

I'm wondering, if people complain about the fact you have to wait 30-60 minutes to supercharge, can you counter argue that supercharging is like getting a free lunch? Since most supercharging stations are placed near restaurants? And the cost of supercharging can be free or much cheaper than gas?

When you compare to the fact gas cars may "charge" or fill up faster, but have to pay $50-60 each time they do, thus where people complain about gas prices. And since most gas cars will eventually be sitting in a parking lot while their owners get lunch, are gas cars wasting their time just parking and not getting more cheap or free fuel?

I hope to go the entire 2019 year without going to a gas station, or only going a very few times. Gas stations are a pain in the ass, especially that I always use an app to try plan and find the cheapest gas station along my route. It's much easier to charge, especially that you can charge from home. I'm still on a 110W iphone outlet, but eventually will get a wall connector once I move to my planned house.

But since supercharging is free or very cheap, I feel it creates a problem of full stalls at peak hours. Just like how gas cars will wait in huge lines at Costco gas just because its slightly cheaper. So I guess things being free will still come at a cost: competing with other people for your time because it's free or cheap.

Not everyone has to pay CA gas prices. We can fill my wife's Impreza for $34.

Free lifetime of supercharging is on older cars not current.
So if you are honest with yourself the places to stop and eat may be more expensive than you would choose otherwise.
On the had prices here near Green Bay we are under $2, and with the dramatic energy use spike we see in cold temps I doubt I am saving much(home charging) vs gas THIS MONTH, gas will spike again and most months aren't so bad on energy use.

Free lifetime of supercharging is on older cars not current.
So if you are honest with yourself the places to stop and eat may be more expensive than you would choose otherwise.
On the had prices here near Green Bay we are under $2, and with the dramatic energy use spike we see in cold temps I doubt I am saving much(home charging) vs gas THIS MONTH, gas will spike again and most months aren't so bad on energy use.

I suppose it depends on where the Supercharger is.

If it's at a Wawa or Sheetz, it's likely your lunch will be less than at Panera.

I fill model 3 free at home, solar system over produces every year and utility gave me a 500/ev credit.

Yep. Same here. And I fill my Model S at home for the same price. This means I don't have to follow a semi to make myself feel like I'm saving a dollar, nor do I have to refrain from zipping away from stop lights leaving all the gas cars a couple blocks behind. 11 kw of solar does it for me.

As to the OP's original question, it's nothing like a gas station. I never could get the gas station to put a pump in my garage and it would probably up my insurance rates. So, no, supercharging is more like charging at home, only that your car is sitting doing nothing in the garage overnight. Gas stations are dangerous, overcrowded, smelly, and an explosion hazard. Superchargers are a gentle rest stop, a chance to stretch out your legs and back while on a trip, a chance to explore, eat, refresh.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1375mlm
Excuse me, but these "price to fill it up" comparisons between cars are useless, in so far as the gain in range per paid amount is unknown.
It's not that hard to calculate. I only charge in the middle of the night when I get off peak rate. With my LR Model 3 I'm getting less than 4 cents per miles. My methodology is taking how much I pay for electricity during the middle of the night divided by the miles I drive.

When you compare to the fact gas cars may "charge" or fill up faster,
If you're traveling long distance this is a fact disappears in the math when you get to what matters, overall travel distance for the day and/or speed of travel.

P.S. Sub-30 min charging time is typical if you're aiming for fastest travel, depending where you're traveling. Drive 2 hours and change, charge for about 25 minutes is a normal Interstate cycle.

Reactions: israndy

To me supercharging is like having to eat lunch at the gas station. :)

• Funny
Reactions: Johann Koeber
I do like that when I have found a place to pee my car is usually ready to get back on the road. I have never had a meal fast than the car is ready to roll. Even the time it takes to order and eat Burger King was too long. The serious advantage of the 300+ mile battery packs.

The problem is a pile of the places I have Supercharged at are not NEAR a restroom or have restrooms that close overnight and have no alternative. I believe public urination is still illegal.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
It’s now more expensive than gas! I’m not happy about it.

On average, no, it really isn't, even after the increase. (and that's even if you supercharge 100% of the time- which isn't what the SCs are intended for, and makes little sense for most people if their time is worth anything).

Math has been covered elsewhere on this if you wish to see it.

On average, no, it really isn't, even after the increase. (and that's even if you supercharge 100% of the time- which isn't what the SCs are intended for, and makes little sense for most people if their time is worth anything).

Math has been covered elsewhere on this if you wish to see it.

I don’t use SC. I charge at work at $0.21 a kw. But I had planned a road trip next week. Now with my calculations. I’ll be getting equalivant to a 30mpg car, it doesn’t make sense to take a Tesla on road trips anymore. A electric car shouldn’t be worse than a Prius.

Say 550 miles.

Prius 55mpg that’s 10 gallons. X $3.50 = $35

Model 3: 4 miles per kw. That’s 137.5kw X $0.31 = $42.6

Long term use electric is no longer saving money vs gas.

• Disagree
Reactions: Hans L