Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Supercharging, popular prior to 6AM?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kermee

It's Not Easy Being Green
Jul 31, 2018
WA, BC & HKG
I took this picture just before 6AM on Wednesday, 10/31/2018 before I headed to SeaTac Airport. Was sort of surprised how full some of the Superchargers were in the area.

IMG_20181031_055352.png

• Aberdeen, WA (6 of 8 stalls occupied)
  • Sequim, WA (6 of 8 stalls occupied)
  • Seaside, OR (6 of 8 stalls occupied)
  • Monroe, WA (6 of 12 stalls occupied)
  • Issaquah, WA (4 of 8 stalls occupied)
Just kinda blown away how utilized they are so early in the morning. — I mean, Aberdeen...Grays Harbor County... ;)

Those reports are often incorrect. When a supercharger cabinet doesn't communicate properly, both of the stalls tied to it will show as occupied. This has been a long-standing problem, but for some reason it has gotten really bad recently and now it is affecting seemingly every supercharger (it used to just be a few of them had this issue). You'll notice that almost all in that pic had an even number of stalls in use. The reality is that zero stalls were in use in almost every case.

Those reports are often incorrect. When a supercharger cabinet doesn't communicate properly, both of the stalls tied to it will show as occupied. This has been a long-standing problem, but for some reason it has gotten really bad recently and now it is affecting seemingly every supercharger (it used to just be a few of them had this issue). You'll notice that almost all in that pic had an even number of stalls in use. The reality is that zero stalls were in use in almost every case.

I wonder how that interacts with the idle fee.

The idle fee only starts if the supercharger is more than 50% busy. But, if it says it's busy when it's not then won't we get charged while we're getting shut eye at an empty supercharger?

No they aren't reversed. He's plugged in to one of the stalls that is communicating. The other 2 cabinets are not communicating and therefore always show 4 of 6 in use.

And yes, it's not just the Northwest, it's all over the country. I just drove Seattle to Vegas and every supercharger exhibited the same type of behavior.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and Kermee
Have just observed this same behaviour today in Switzerland, Kriegstetten SuC.

2 minutes out the map showed 8 of 12 available, but on arrival the place was empty.

When I plugged in it now shows 7/12 remain free. I suspect all are working fine though am not going to test that as it is raining and I've had a hair-do.

Voice-logged as bug report.

Last edited:
I wonder how that interacts with the idle fee.

The idle fee only starts if the supercharger is more than 50% busy. But, if it says it's busy when it's not then won't we get charged while we're getting shut eye at an empty supercharger?
No they aren't reversed. He's plugged in to one of the stalls that is communicating. The other 2 cabinets are not communicating and therefore always show 4 of 6 in use.

And yes, it's not just the Northwest, it's all over the country. I just drove Seattle to Vegas and every supercharger exhibited the same type of behavior.
I don't know the mechanism for how the payment is made for Supercharging, but does this lack of communication affect driver's being charged for charging or not? That seems like an incentive for Tesla to get it fixed. I don't know if the car does the communicating, or the Supercharger, or both, or either. So what happens if neither the car nor the SC can communicate? Maybe it just buffers the info until there is connectivity.

On my trip through the Midwest last week, it seemed pretty accurate - the sites it told me were busy were in fact busy - actually got busier while I was enroute and I just missed having a wait at a twelve stall site outside Chicago - I got the last plug.

Busy stalls at that time could just be owners charging on their way to work instead of charging up at home before setting out. For many the juice at superchargers is still free.

But I think, in your case, it is just the result of Tesla's reporting of filled stalls being not accurate.

For me, Sex before 6:00am is not all that popular. Prefer about 7:30.

Reactions: dsnows