TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is switched wire in the yellow one with light grayish/purple stripe?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by artsci, Feb 23, 2014.

1. artsci

artsci Sponsor

According to some posts I saw there is a yellow wire with purple stripe in one of the three bundles under the driver's side kick panel that switches power on and off with the car. I want to tap this with for the camera switch so there's no drain in the power when the car is off. I was able to find a yellow wire with a light grayish purple stripe but not one with a bright purple stripe. I assume the former is the switched 12v power wire? I want to know before I tap into it. Can anybody confirm?

2. nkohlimd

nkohlimd Member

Rick, I think this is correct but would recommend you use a volt meter to confirm before you tap it. I tapped it a while ago and connected to a six lead junction box so I could add future accessories without looking for the wire again...best of luck.......

3. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I didn't have a lot of time to do this and check the connections but the reading on the voltmeter was in milli volts so maybe the yellow wire with the light grayish/purple wire (it looks more like gray, frankly) is the wrong one. I won't be able to check again until next weekend.

4. Jason

Jason Member

Here you go - it is in the lower connector, bottom far right, the one with the probe. I checked it, it shows voltage with car on, and when you turn car off, voltage goes away. Hope this helps

pur4.JPG pur1.JPG

5. artsci

artsci Sponsor

#5 artsci, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
    Jason.

Jason,

Thanks so much --- that's a huge help. That's not the wire I tapped, which explains the readings I got. This is the wire we'll tap for the camera switch so that the switch is only on when the car is powered on.

In the event you may have probed and tested other wires in the bundle or on the passenger side bundles, might you be able to verify which connects to the back-up lights or the front cornering lights? We need this to signal the camera switch so that the rear camera is always switched on when the car is in reverse.

According to another post, the reverse lead is the brown/green wire. We just have to find that in one of the bundles under the front driver or passenger side kick panels. Here's the photo that was posted of this wire in one of the two bundles leading into rear the hatch covers.

WP_20140106_002.jpg

6. swegman

swegman Member

Rick, if you tap into the power line for the front corning lights to switch from the front camera to the rear camera, wouldn't said switching occur whenever you were driving forward and turning?

7. artsci

artsci Sponsor

True, but you likely wouldn't have the camera on in those circumstances. But now that we know the color of the reverse light wire (brown/green), I'm going to find that in one of the front wire bundles, so hopefully that won't be an issue.

8. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

While we're at it, can some suggest a safe non-switched hot wire to tap into for a dashcam? (either driver's or pax side). I checked, and for some reason, the mic panel in the header does not have the extra power leads mentioned in other threads.

Also, I'm going to need a switched wire to tap into for a radar detector -- is it safe to use the same wire that will be tapped for the front camera switch box?

9. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

For a radar detector you can use the red wire in the mirror connector. Pop the plastic cover off the mirror base (the part against the windshield) and there's a black (ground) and red (switched) wire that works perfectly. I just tinned the radar detector wires and stuck them into the back of the connector (and a zip-tie to hold it in place). That way I didn't need to modify the factory wiring in any way.

10. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Interesting. I'm keeping a close eye on the forward camera thread and after having spliced wiring on previous cars, I'm kind of loathe to do the same on the S. Given it's a main connector instead of an auxiliary one, though, I'm not sure which method is safer. May just have to stick with the install option without the taps, even though it's sub-optimal.

11. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

I think this wiring was deleted in production starting last summer.

12. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

Didn't know that. Mine is VIN 15,xxx built in July. How do they power the auto-dimming mirror now then?

13. Jason

Jason Member

There is inline 12v connector that goes to aux outlet (by usb's), the connector is here (pass side of console):
    IMG_5710.JPG
    would think you could order male and female connector to make up and inline patch cord, so no splicing of wires.
    (Myself, I was too impatient and took connector apart and tapped wires into the individual pins and reassembled)

14. artsci

artsci Sponsor

There's a better solution which I'm going to use when I finish the install on my car this weekend: tap fuse #75 (5 amps) in fuse box #3 and run the tap along with the camera cable into the driver's side kick panel and use it to power the camera switch. As it's connected to the power steering, that fuse is switched on and off with the car.

15. swegman

swegman Member

Will you install a separate fuse for the camera module? My concern would be something happens with the camera module while driving, fuse #75 blows and you lose your power steering.

16. artsci

artsci Sponsor

The module may have a fuse. I have to check.

17. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Now that I've thought about it, with an Add-Fuse put into that fuse slot, both the power steering and camera switch will be on separate 5-amp fuses, each independent of the other. So this will not be a problem.

18. swegman

swegman Member

19. artsci

artsci Sponsor

It won't come with the kit, but they're available many places.

I hooked up fuse #75 in box 3 today and it works great. Photos later. The switch and two cameras are only on when your butt it in the driver's seat. In all other cases they're off and not pulling any battery power.

As it turns out the Tesla owners guidebook illustration of the fuse locations in box 3 is wrong. I'll post a correction shortly.

20. swegman

swegman Member

Is fuse #75 a regular size blade fuse or one of the smaller (micro?) sized fuse?