Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is TACC 100 percent reliable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's great news! TACC has been "broken" like that for months so I'm glad to hear they've reverted it! Probably 85%+ of us are still waiting on the update to fix this issue.

Ähem, let us quickly offer our first-born to the Moloch that this is not just an unapproved lapse which will be silently "corrected" again in the next update!

Have checked threads of M3 owners with 2019.5.3 and see no mention that they are seeing this reversion ... which is somewhat disturbing, as they've had it a week now.

Ähem, let us quickly offer our first-born to the Moloch that this is not just an unapproved lapse which will be silently "corrected" again in the next update!

Have checked threads of M3 owners with 2019.5.3 and see no mention that they are seeing this reversion ... which is somewhat disturbing, as they've had it a week now.
Good point. Once we get 2019.5.x, we'll be sure to test it. Hopefully it is fixed for us...and doesn't break again for those of you on 2019.4.x!

Hmm. I may have the versions wrong but you get what I mean! :confused:

Last edited:
Reactions: OPRCE
Here are some areas with TACC to be concerned about:

Failing to detect a stopped car. Like a stalled car in the middle of the lane. The radar is really good at determining the speed/distance of the vehicle in front of you as long as it's moving. If it's not tracking it before it's stopped then it's not so good. So it has to transition to using the camera to detect it.

Cases where the car in front of you moves over and a stalled car is right in front of you.

Idiot pedestrian standing in the middle of the road at night.

Failing to detect debris or objects in the road. The car has no way to detect a mess of debris.

False braking - This mostly happens with overhead signs. Tesla is trying to use the radar return to improve stopped object detection, but it's a difficult task. The reason is it radar isn't precise. So its hard to know exactly where the return came from. Sometimes I think it gets tricked by a car being in front of you, and then the overhead sign above it. So it thinks car+radar return means there is a car and it's stopped. So it briefly gets confused. I've only had it happen when the road dips under a sign. So the sign looks like it's right in front of me.

I'd give TACC a score of 85/100.

Failing to detect a stopped car. Like a stalled car in the middle of the lane. The radar is really good at determining the speed/distance of the vehicle in front of you as long as it's moving. If it's not tracking it before it's stopped then it's not so good. So it has to transition to using the camera to detect it.

Cases where the car in front of you moves over and a stalled car is right in front of you.

Idiot pedestrian standing in the middle of the road at night.

Failing to detect debris or objects in the road. The car has no way to detect a mess of debris.

False braking - This mostly happens with overhead signs. Tesla is trying to use the radar return to improve stopped object detection, but it's a difficult task. The reason is it radar isn't precise. So its hard to know exactly where the return came from. Sometimes I think it gets tricked by a car being in front of you, and then the overhead sign above it. So it thinks car+radar return means there is a car and it's stopped. So it briefly gets confused. I've only had it happen when the road dips under a sign. So the sign looks like it's right in front of me.

Well said, a score of 85 seems right. Also it seems on this latest update that TACC is a little slower out of the blocks when following cars from a stop out of a red light to green.

Agreed. I suspect this is exactly what happened to the Tesla that crashed into the back of a stopped fire truck on the fwy in California last month. The cars in front of the Tesla moved out of the way and TACC didn’t realize that the fire truck was a stopped vehicle attending to a precious accident.