Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is TACC 100 percent reliable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think so. Shouldn't the car automatically come to a stop behind another stopped car every time if TACC is engaged. There's definitely been times when I had to break myself when coming up to a line of stopped cars. I'm sure others have had to. Especially when coming around a bend. Just thinking that being right here 99/100 isn't a good score.

Ken

It is an assistant package. No, it is not 100% reliable.

Most common issue situation is stopped cars. Two related reasons... 1) The TACC system does not do any path prediction. It has no idea you're planning on changing lanes into open space (for example pulling onto a different lane before you hit the stopped car or going a curved road road with cars parked on the side. 2). To make the data analysis easier, the radar system filters out most stopped objects.

So coming up on a line of stopped cars will someones slam on the brakes quite late (and perhaps too late).

• Helpful
Reactions: Kentrock1
I don't think so. Shouldn't the car automatically come to a stop behind another stopped car every time if TACC is engaged. There's definitely been times when I had to break myself when coming up to a line of stopped cars. I'm sure others have had to. Especially when coming around a bend. Just thinking that being right here 99/100 isn't a good score.

Ken

TACC cannot detect all objects and, especially in situations when you are driving over 50 mph, may not brake when a vehicle or object is only partially in the driving lane or when a vehicle you are following moves out of your driving path and a stationary or slow-moving vehicle or object is in front of you. Always pay attention to the road ahead and stay prepared to take immediate corrective action. Depending on TACC to avoid a collision can result in serious injury or death. In addition, TACC may react to vehicles or objects that either do not exist or are not in the lane of travel, causing the car to slow down unnecessarily or inappropriately.

Emphasis mine. Interestingly the verbiage is slightly modified from prior versions.

In not-quite 20k miles of driving, I've had precisely one instance where I don't think TACC saw an obstacle; A double-deck car hauling trailer with no cars on it (essentially a scaffold on wheels) merged into my lane, and I took over before AP/TACC sensed it, maybe three or four feet in front of the front bumper and closing. Every other time I've let TACC do its thing it's worked, with the caveat that sometimes it doesn't see things nearly as early as I do, and its reaction is necessarily extreme compared to what it COULD have done had it known about the obstacle earlier.

Bottom line, many times TACC will only be able to act once you're WAAAAAAY inside your personal comfort zone. It will almost certainly still work, but it's a driving aid, and you should absolutely be overriding it pretty regularly to maintain safe operation.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Dre78 and Kentrock1
Nope. But it is better than most ACC systems, and among the best if not the best available right now - and continuing to improve with new firmware updates.

Stopped cars are by their nature one of the biggest challenges for an ACC system, and you always want to pay attention to them in any car.

• Helpful
Reactions: Kentrock1
Is TACC 100 percent reliable?

... to do what?

Is it 100% reliable to assist you while driving on the freeway? Yes.

Is it 100% reliable to detect other cars and objects that are stopped on surface streets? No.

It's like any other tool. A table saw, when used properly, can make short work of plywood cuts that would have taken you hours to do by hand, and can make those cuts perfectly straight as well. On the other hand, use it improperly and you'll lose some fingers.

TACC, EAP, Nav on AP are all the same. Use them to make your life easier. Don't let them crash your car. Simple as that.

Better question are humans 100% reliable? No. TACC is a human product so again, No.

Actually, for purposes of driving, humans are extremely close to 100 percent. Everyday thousands of people drive a good distance to and from work, naviagating stops/starts, turns, obstacles. These manuevers are complex for a car to do yet some of us go years without getting into an accident. We're probably at "5 or 6 nines" and the one time we're wrong it's usually not enough to cause an accident or the other guy adjusts for us.

TACC cannot detect all objects and, especially in situations when you are driving over 50 mph, may not brake when a vehicle or object is only partially in the driving lane or when a vehicle you are following moves out of your driving path and a stationary or slow-moving vehicle or object is in front of you. Always pay attention to the road ahead and stay prepared to take immediate corrective action. Depending on TACC to avoid a collision can result in serious injury or death. In addition, TACC may react to vehicles or objects that either do not exist or are not in the lane of travel, causing the car to slow down unnecessarily or inappropriately.

Emphasis mine. Interestingly the verbiage is slightly modified from prior versions.

Is that from the manual, 'cause from my experience it's dead on.

Ken

TACC is amazing compared to what we had two years ago. When the first AP2 cars in November 2016 were delivered, they didn't have any cruise control. When I took delivery of my AP2 car in the first week of December 2016, it had regular cruise but I had to wait 7 weeks before I received TACC. There were often phantom braking events early on but I can't remember the last time I've had that issue.

While it may not be 100% perfect yet, appreciate the fact that is has vastly improved since it was first released and continues to improve, except for the TACC set speed change they made with the last release. That's really my only complaint about TACC recently.

Reactions: OPRCE
TACC is amazing compared to what we had two years ago. When the first AP2 cars in November 2016 were delivered, they didn't have any cruise control. When I took delivery of my AP2 car in the first week of December 2016, it had regular cruise but I had to wait 7 weeks before I received TACC. There were often phantom braking events early on but I can't remember the last time I've had that issue.

While it may not be 100% perfect yet, appreciate the fact that is has vastly improved since it was first released and continues to improve, except for the TACC set speed change they made with the last release. That's really my only complaint about TACC recently.

I don't know if they are specific to AP1 or not, but since you're on the topic, there are two things the car does under Autopilot that really annoy me, and both are recent additions and TACC related.

The first I've seen discussed once or twice. When I break Autosteer with the wheel, it resets TACC to the current speed, which is really annoying when traffic caused me to break it in the first place.

The other is maybe worse, though. When an idiot decides to rush up and pass me and jump in front while I'm overtaking someone, the car assumes the someone I was overtaking is also going to cut into the lane, and slows down to let them.