Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tapatalk not going to be supported with the new forum?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This has nothing to do with TMC specifically, but rather to do with Tapatalk and Xenforo support (or even forum admins) in general, here is a long thread about that:
Tapatalk Forum App for xenForo - iOS / Android / Windows Phone Mobile App [Deleted]

Basically Tapatalk listens quite well to end user concerns, however, for site owners it's different (I think most site admins agree Tapatalk is slow in responding to site owner concerns). They have pulled a bunch of unannounced changes that anger site owners (for example adding "View on Tapatalk" buttons to Xenforo emails, adding Chatrooms for forums without site owner approval). So basically while Tapatalk has lots of end user fans, more often than not site admins hate Tapatalk.

I appreciate the clarification. I am hopeful this will be resolved. As an end user, I like the easy access, notifications and overall usability compared to the alternative we are currently experiencing. It would be hard to believe TMC ignoring 15k tapatalk users.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Bingo! I have 8 forums so maybe that's why I hate them much more than the rest of you ;) TT folks really don't give 2 sh*ts about site owners, they care about themselves and to some extent users.

It sounds like TT is user focused and as a satisfied customer I guess I don't give 2 xxxxx's that their focus is spot on. Sorry to hear you're clearly annoyed by their customer focus.

Bingo! I have 8 forums so maybe that's why I hate them much more than the rest of you ;) TT folks really don't give 2 sh*ts about site owners, they care about themselves and to some extent users.

It sounds like TT is user focused and as a satisfied customer I guess I don't give 2 xxxxx's that their focus is spot on. Sorry to hear you're clearly annoyed by their customer focus.

Where Tapatalk is concerned, they have ample reason to keep both forum operators and client users happy. If forum operators aren't happy, they will eventually drop Tapatalk support (as appears to be the case here at TMC). That makes users of the Tapatalk app unhappy, and some will use the app less, or stop using it altogether if they can't read their favorite forums with the app. This means that Tapatalk won't get ad revenue.

I don't know what the specific issues are, but it's in everyone's interest to have them resolved.

Gary: TMC admins have been silent. Can you please ask Tapatalk folks to come here and chime in?

I am finding it hard to believe that Tapatalk developers would simply let security holes unplugged and let popular customers like TMC to leave. It is not in their best interest.

Thanks - been a lurker for a while - always want a Tesla but it is not something we can afford at the moment. Oh BTW I'm developer and founder of Tapatalk.

I want to set the record straight - we did not receive any report from any forum owner about any potential security issue. We are okay with all the discussions and negatives but as an engineer, security is very important to us. We even have a bug bounty at HackerOne setup and are always ready to response when there is security issue. Our plugin is as secure as the forum system and sometime we even help uncovers security issues of the forum system itself and reported back to the developers.

Not that we are perfect but by saying our plugin has security issue and does not explicitly tell us or anyone which issue it is, doesn't seem to be very fair to the developers who put hours in building something we are truly passionate about.

This thread was forwarded by one of our user and caught our attention. We also wrote few emails to the owner of TMC to offer helps and we are standing by when they are ready to bring it back.

Our business model is simply. We generate revenue from Forum Owner to upgrade to our Premium Tier plan, where they can have their own branded app, keep all their ads revenue. We also have advertisement to help smaller forums that don't have the energy to sell their ads. Forum owner can turn off advertising or replace it with their own.

We try to make it work for both Forum Owner and end users - It is a challenge to keep both sides happy but this is something we are trying to work out. And, as a business, we still have the bill to pay. Our server cost that send you guys Push Notifications (and more) are costing us a fortune with ten of millions of notifications we are sending out every day!! :)

Again, I seldom post but when I need to defend the hard work our engineers, I don't hesitate.

I hope you guys continue to enjoy the new Tesla 3 coming up (is it today??)

Kudos to the Tapatalk founder/developer to come here and share his/her thoughts. First off - hats off to you guys for making an amazing app. It is probably the number 1 app that I use on my iPhone - well lets, say I 'used' on the iPhone. In fact I quit MyNissanLeaf forum for the simple reason they wouldn't support Tapatalk. And I am struggling to keep up here.

It is extremely frustrating to be ignored without nary an update from the forum admins on this issue.

We have heard from the Tapatalk guys loud and clear. Why are the forum admins ignoring our pleas? I really wish admins get out of their high horse and get this support implemented. If it means a subscription fee, so be it.

it reminds me of how in general 'security issue' is a catch all phrase thrown around in most situations to silence anyone, not just in IT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks - been a lurker for a while - always want a Tesla but it is not something we can afford at the moment. Oh BTW I'm developer and founder of Tapatalk.

I want to set the record straight - we did not receive any report from any forum owner about any potential security issue. We are okay with all the discussions and negatives but as an engineer, security is very important to us. We even have a bug bounty at HackerOne setup and are always ready to response when there is security issue. Our plugin is as secure as the forum system and sometime we even help uncovers security issues of the forum system itself and reported back to the developers.

Not that we are perfect but by saying our plugin has security issue and does not explicitly tell us or anyone which issue it is, doesn't seem to be very fair to the developers who put hours in building something we are truly passionate about.

This thread was forwarded by one of our user and caught our attention. We also wrote few emails to the owner of TMC to offer helps and we are standing by when they are ready to bring it back.

Our business model is simply. We generate revenue from Forum Owner to upgrade to our Premium Tier plan, where they can have their own branded app, keep all their ads revenue. We also have advertisement to help smaller forums that don't have the energy to sell their ads. Forum owner can turn off advertising or replace it with their own.

We try to make it work for both Forum Owner and end users - It is a challenge to keep both sides happy but this is something we are trying to work out. And, as a business, we still have the bill to pay. Our server cost that send you guys Push Notifications (and more) are costing us a fortune with ten of millions of notifications we are sending out every day!! :)

Again, I seldom post but when I need to defend the hard work our engineers, I don't hesitate.

I hope you guys continue to enjoy the new Tesla 3 coming up (is it today??)

Winter - Thank you for responding. I am one of many of your customers who is a big supporter of TapaTalk and use it daily. I am hopeful that a mutual resolution is found.

I take it TMC admins are busy fixing much more critical issues with the overall site design (which represent the vast majority of their users) than focusing on Tapatalk. I don't think they are purposefully ignoring the concerns of those here; they have responded in this thread and said they will be looking into offering something that supports some of the features of Tapatalk (but I think it is pretty clear it won't be Tapatalk).
New Forum Design
This pretty much. We are working around the clock on other things at the moment.

As we said, we are looking into things. We will let you know when we have something to say.

Reactions: 1 person
stopcrazypp said:
I take it TMC admins are busy fixing much more critical issues with the overall site design (which represent the vast majority of their users) than focusing on Tapatalk. I don't think they are purposefully ignoring the concerns of those here; they have responded in this thread and said they will be looking into offering something that supports some of the features of Tapatalk (but I think it is pretty clear it won't be Tapatalk).

This pretty much. We are working around the clock on other things at the moment.
As we said, we are looking into things. We will let you know when we have something to say.

I don't see providing some TapaTalk features is the same as being able to integrate the site into TapaTalk again unless I misread your comment above. Being able to keep all of our forums we participate into one TapaTalk app is our hopeful goal. The only other alternative would be to create an app that aggregates all of our favorite forums and compete with TapaTalk.

Reactions: bollar
A number of posts were deleted from this thread including mine asking for clarification on Tapatalk security concerns based on Winter's post. I guess admin did not like that?
No, we did not delete any posts. A few posts may have been lost yesterday while dealing with server issues.

Well, as a long time Tapatalk user and TMC contributor, I really hope that TMC implements Tapatalk support again. Tapatalk is really the only practical way for me to keep tabs on the Tesla (and other) communities as well as contribute. I'd consider it a real shame if TMC never implements support for Tapatalk in the future. So, here's another vote in support of TT.

I will check here in a couple of weeks to see if TT is supported again. If not, sorry but I will be gone. It was good as long as it lasted. Not interested in a special app for TMC. I follow several forums on TT, what a mess if everyone will work on their own forum app.

Add my thanks also to Winter for responding on behalf of Tapatalk and acknowledging concerns.

I have to emphasize again that TMC forums are much harder to use via mobile phone through web browser than Tapatalk. Particularly for those of us with older phones, web based access is slower, more RAM intensive, and less power efficient. I find myself participating less on TMC when I'm not at my laptop.

Add my thanks also to Winter for responding on behalf of Tapatalk and acknowledging concerns.

I have to emphasize again that TMC forums are much harder to use via mobile phone through web browser than Tapatalk. Particularly for those of us with older phones, web based access is slower, more RAM intensive, and less power efficient. I find myself participating less on TMC when I'm not at my laptop.
I've made the move to reading and responding on browser. Still prefer Tapatalk. I really miss the notifications of threads and mentions, etc.

• Informative
Status
Not open for further replies.