Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tech Package worth getting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
I am trying to figure out if I should get 40k or 60k version.. but if I get 60k version, I need to remove some options... and one of package is the Tech Package ($3750).. is it worth it??
From the list, here are my opinion / question:

Tech Package
Takes the most technologically advanced vehicle ever produced to the next level. Use of innovative lighting increases efficiency. The Touchscreen becomes more informative with turn-by-turn navigation and unprecedented rear cargo space opens with the touch of a button. Delight in the following features:
Xenon headlamps = nice to have but not a must
Electrochromatic side mirrors = what is it??
LED foglights = nice to have but not a must
Convenience lighting = what is it?? Is it like ambient light in some cars? Without this, is there anything else?
Power rear liftgate = nice to have but not a must
High definition back-up camera = nice to have but not a must
Homelink = nice to have but not a must
Turn-by-turn navigation with seven years of free map updates = nice to have but not a must
Automatic keyless entry = what is it? Without this, do I have to press on my keyfob to open door or come to the car and press a button on door handle like other luxury car?

From all the items in the tech package, i might really want only the "automatic keyless entry" which means the package is not worth it... please let me know your opinion..

Hi All,
I am trying to figure out if I should get 40k or 60k version.. but if I get 60k version, I need to remove some options... and one of package is the Tech Package ($3750).. is it worth it??

Tech Package
Takes the most technologically advanced vehicle ever produced to the next level. Use of innovative lighting increases efficiency. The Touchscreen becomes more informative with turn-by-turn navigation and unprecedented rear cargo space opens with the touch of a button. Delight in the following features:
Convenience lighting = what is it?? Is it like ambient light in some cars? Without this, is there anything else?
Turn-by-turn navigation with seven years of free map updates = nice to have but not a must
Automatic keyless entry = what is it? Without this, do I have to press on my keyfob to open door or come to the car and press a button on door handle like other luxury car?

From all the items in the tech package, i might really want only the "automatic keyless entry" which means the package is not worth it... please let me know your opinion..

I'm struggling with the same issue, here are my thoughts;

1) automatic keyless entry -would really like. I expect that the car doors will open when I approach (should be programmable so that all door handles open on key fob approach), when I walk away it will auto lock. On our lexus we have to touch the door handle to lock the car but in general I love never having to deal with a key or fob.
2) xeonon headlamps - nice to have, could always do after market change after for relatively cheap
3) electrocromatic side mirrors - nice to have but not necessary, power folding mirrors would be more valuable in imo. The side mirros should auto dim if I understand correctly.
4) led foglights - I recall seeing turning lights in a video once of the model S being brought into a store, and if they do exist expect them to be tied with the fog lights. Still just a nice to have.
5) convenience lighting - would like to know this too. I expect puddle lights are standard as will be a dome light and lights on the door handles. Assuming this must foot well lighting. Would like something cool but don't expect much from this. Don't need.
6) Power rear liftgate - nice to have
7) HD backup camera - Hoping there is more to this than just an HD vs SD camera as I don't see the need. There was a discussion in the past about a possible use of 3 cameras which as an upgrade could be interesting depending on where they were pointed
8) Homelink - silly but a must have
9) TbT navigation - nice to have

Overall I really could do without the tech package unless there is more to the package than being stated. The keyless entry is really the only really want on my list but I cant justify $3750 for it so will likely pass.

1. Xenon headlamps = must have. My Roadster's original headlights were so dim they were unsafe, IMHO. The HID upgrade was well worth the money.
  2. Electrochromatic side mirrors = automatically dim when a bright light is shining on them. I like.
  3. LED foglights = just cosmetic
  4. Convenience lighting = yeah, some ambient light. Nice to have.
  5. Power rear liftgate = would be nice in the winter. Most liftgates drop on your head when it's really cold out.
  6. High definition back-up camera = I'm sure the regular camera is fine.
  7. Homelink = Not essential but I like.
  8. Turn-by-turn navigation with seven years of free map updates = I definitely appreciate a good navigation system.
  9. Automatic keyless entry = The handles extend when you walk up. Otherwise you have to touch the handle to extend it. It's just there for the "cool" factor.

1. Xenon headlamps = must have. My Roadster's original headlights were so dim they were unsafe, IMHO. The HID upgrade was well worth the money.
  2. Electrochromatic side mirrors = automatically dim when a bright light is shining on them. I like.
  3. LED foglights = just cosmetic
  4. Convenience lighting = yeah, some ambient light. Nice to have.
  5. Power rear liftgate = would be nice in the winter. Most liftgates drop on your head when it's really cold out.
  6. High definition back-up camera = I'm sure the regular camera is fine.
  7. Homelink = Not essential but I like.
  8. Turn-by-turn navigation with seven years of free map updates = I definitely appreciate a good navigation system.
  9. Automatic keyless entry = The handles extend when you walk up. Otherwise you have to touch the handle to extend it. It's just there for the "cool" factor.

if its true that the automatic keyless entry only to save me from touching the handle, it would be great.. no need for tech package..

Automatic keyless entry, Xenon and Nav make it worth it for me although I agree that Xenon is fluff (Doug_G, am sure the standard halogens on the Model S would be better than the Roadster's original ones) and there are so many other options (smartphone, Garmin/TomTom etc.) for turn-by-turn Nav.

stealthnhawk, given your notes on each of the items, I'd say skip the option and save for the 60 kWh pack.

Hi All,

Tech Package

Without the tech package the car is almost useless as it will lack most modern amenities...If you are spending 60k on a car its well worth it to spend the extra 4k and fully enjoy the vehicle. Unless the car is being used as a taxi or something like this, I see little reason not to get the tech package.

These things that are not "must haves" have you ever had them before? or is this statement based on your perception about these options?

Homelink is a must since there's not a good place to put the remote you'd otherwise need! Double-stick taping the remote to the dash is NOT an option! :frown:

Maybe I'm getting too old, but I find that I enjoy my cars more when they're equipped with all the niceties. So, while it seems they cost too much, in practice my ROI is high.

That said, I surely think that since eliminating the tech package gets you almost 40% of the way towards the next bump in range, it's probably the right trade-off.

Are you happy with a black or white car (saves $750 over metallic)?
No panoramic roof (saves $1500)?
No upgraded stereo, obviously.
Single charger only, and no HPC, right? Use the UMC at home for charging. 60kWh might get you supercharger access, which could be a big win.

Leather is probably worth it, but I think the Air Suspension is one option you really want to keep. At least, it's really important to me.

That seems serious hyperbole. There's not much in the tech package I really care about except the upgraded headlights and electrochromatic mirrors.

Not many 60k cars do not have home link, turn by turn navigation, convenience lighting, electrochromatic side mirrors, xenon headlamp, automatic keyless entry etc....Trust me you will regret not getting the tech package. These things will be very costly to retrofit (if possible)...I would venture a guess that resale would be horrid on Model S' without the tech package as it is basically a neutered Model S.

That'd I'd agree with, though not having them is a far cry from "almost useless".

For me it would be useless...I guess there is a reason they include the Tech Package in some trims of the Model S....Several people including myself would not buy the Model S if the "Tech Package" was not either included in some trim levels or an option....Every modern car in this price range has these features/options and without them the car would be useless in many people's eyes....I cannot see a modern car in this price range not having these features, being very useful to the vast majority of buyers. A 60k car without turn by turn navigation, and convenience lighting? Might as well spend the extra 3750 and enjoy the car without regret....

I'd consider Xenon a must-have. And the navigation is high on my list of wants.

I'd almost consider Xenon more important than airbags when it comes to safety equipment, because without xenon you won't see a moose before it's too late. And where I live, moose can be found in the hundreds of thousands. (It is actually a bit ridiculous that Xenon isn't standard.)

Last edited:
For me it is many nice-to-haves that eventually add up to one must-have. I think I would regret not getting it more than I would regret skipping it.

But that $4k sure does leave a bit of a sour flavor... Oh well, in for a penny, in for a pound.

The electrochromatic side mirrors are a must. If you're driving a EV at night, long distance, to conserve range you're going to be in the right lane, and you're going to be passed. The dimming mirrors will keep you from being blinded by headlights of cars at your left rear quarter panel.

The LED foglights on the S also double as a turning lamp - they turn on in the direction of your turn. A good safety feature.

Turn-by-turn navigation, in conjunction with the car's incredible-size display , and with the nav directions displayed on the over-wheel dash panel, is going to be a lot more convenient than a hand-held phone GPS app. I have used both, prefer the built in, and I am looking forward to it.

I was dismayed at the high cost of the tech package, because it contains most of the items I expected for the Model S in the high base cost. Yet it is a small percentage of the total cost of the vehicle, so it is a a must for me.

If you can, increase your loan amount to cover 60 kWh battery AND the tech package. You will not feel the cost increase as much as you think over time, and you will regret not having features that are common to high-end luxury cars.

Another point for the tech package is the resale factor. The tech package seems to me a bundle of specs they could not put in the standard package because of the cost. When considering some of the standart goodies, the Model S feels "unfinished" without the tech package. That could play a lot in case of a resale.

For me it is many nice-to-haves that eventually add up to one must-have. I think I would regret not getting it more than I would regret skipping it.

But that $4k sure does leave a bit of a sour flavor... Oh well, in for a penny, in for a pound.

Agreed! It is pretty clear that the Tech Package exists simply to have a base price of $57400.

They should have called it the Premium package ... But that would make it obvious that it is supposed to be a Premium luxury sedan, but the premium is an option ...

Last edited:
Hi All,
From the list, here are my opinion / question:.

Xenon headlamps = A must for me, though I would rather have LED headlights

Electrochromatic side mirrors = A must for me. Particularly SUVs with badly aimed headlights blind me.

LED foglights = nice to have but not a must. Foglights are useless because the main lights drown them out and most jurisdictions don't allow for fog lights only--even though that is much safer during foggy conditions.

Convenience lighting = nice to have but not a must

Power rear liftgate = nice to have but not a must (maybe, never had it so the jury is out)

High definition back-up camera = More than a nice to have. Anything that makes for better visibility is important.

Turn-by-turn navigation with seven years of free map updates = A must for me, though I think they should be free as long as you own the car.

Automatic keyless entry =A must for me. Before I got the Prius I thought it was a gimmick but after a few weeks of use, it's now something that I would never do without if I could at all possibly afford it.

So that makes it 5.5/9. Worth getting.

I would love to get the tech package, but as I am already really reaching to buy a 40 kWh Model S, I am going to take a pass on it. Right now the only option I am planning on getting is a 4 prong twist lock generator plug for the UMC (although I may end up springing for leather, we will have to see)