Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tech Package worth getting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not to mention, how silly wouldn't it look to slap a little Garmin on the windshield just above a huge 17" screen...

Well, pretty silly.

But, given the space under the console, it wouldn't be hard to plug it in with the cigarette lighter and bury the cords under the center console area and have the Garmin mounted under the screen. I did that with my Accord.

But, still kind of silly.

Well I rarely actually do 0-60. And when I do I rarely do it in less than 7 seconds.
I pretty much never drive more than 100mph, much less 110.
I plan on hitting ~100,000 miles after about 5-6 years. So the longer warranty might come into play, it might not.
Supercharging might be a real benefit. I still don't think driving a 60kWh S to Charlotte (250 miles), or Florence, SC (310 miles) would be something that I would want to do. I am quite the impatient driver.
And my 7,701 number means I won't have to wait for any battery style.

Granted those are benefits, but I would contest that you rarely, if ever, use them.

It's the 300 miles and the longer battery life that make the 85 kW a must for me. The 0-60 and top speed don't mean a lot. If I wait for Bluestar I'll miss out on a lot of driving.

I have never driven a $60 k car, so the stuff offered by the tech package is all things I've lived just fine without. Give me the child seats and the super charger option and that's all I would need. As for resale value, why would I want to sell it? I'd drive it for at least 10 years, more like 15 or 20 just upgrading the battery along the way.

The most innovative thing about Tesla Motors is not their EV, not the Model S.... It is that their target market is wider than traditional auto lines.
Build car that will change the world. That (paraphrased by me) mandate means there needs to be an option for everyone.

I think the biggest "tech" feature that has me pining for more is the pathetically small local storage for music. Yes, we're all using cloud devices, and maybe that's where it is all heading. But, 500 songs? Really? At 160 kps with average length of 3:30mins, that's ... what, 2 GB? :frown:
Sound system upgrade for more storage is a separate package, isn't it?

When you compare the Model S to other, similar cars (BMW for example) they charge just as much or more for some of these features although they do separate them sometimes ($1,000 for keyless entry....etc).

I still say if you can afford it, get the tech package since the Model S should really have had these items standard.

+1. Many of the items in the tech package are what changes the car from okay to exciting.

And safer I think. If the difference in the standard lamps and Xenon's are similar in the Roadster and the Model S (I realize you can't really compare them), I can see twice as far with the Xenons and it was worth the upgrade. I just don't want people buying an almost $60,000 car to not be happy with it down the road because it doesn't have navigation or xenon headlights. The automatic keyless entry will be cool and maybe impress someone to buy a Tesla too. Think advertising and pushing the brand forward.

I don't know that the remote control issue is exactly analogous. We're talking about ancient technology next to old technology wrt the remote control. The Tesla seems to be cutting edge and these tech features, well, how much more value do they really add?

The remote analogy is meant to exemplify how the new tech changes our behaviors to the point that we wonder how we got along without them. Remember the last time you lost your remote to the TV or sound system? You probably spent more time searching the room/house/kids toy box than you would have if you just went over and tapped a button on the TV.

Sure it's old tech now, but back then, remotes were cutting edge. Some of the features in the tech package are cutting edge now, and in time will become so standard, anything else is just not suitable.

Another comparable analogy is standard def vs 720p/1080p TV sets. Would you buy a standard def TV today? They are far cheaper, and I'd bet a 42 inch standard def TV is only a hundred bucks or so. If you can find one! Saying I don't "need" features of the tech package so it's not worth the price is just as peculiar as saying I can still "watch" transformers in standard def, so it's not worth buying a hi-def TV. Try enjoying a movie on your 15 year old Sony after you've been watching Transformers in hi def. It will totally suck.

The remote analogy is meant to exemplify how the new tech changes our behaviors to the point that we wonder how we got along without them. Remember the last time you lost your remote to the TV or sound system? You probably spent more time searching the room/house/kids toy box than you would have if you just went over and tapped a button on the TV.

Sure it's old tech now, but back then, remotes were cutting edge. Some of the features in the tech package are cutting edge now, and in time will become so standard, anything else is just not suitable.

Another comparable analogy is standard def vs 720p/1080p TV sets. Would you buy a standard def TV today? They are far cheaper, and I'd bet a 42 inch standard def TV is only a hundred bucks or so. If you can find one! Saying I don't "need" features of the tech package so it's not worth the price is just as peculiar as saying I can still "watch" transformers in standard def, so it's not worth buying a hi-def TV. Try enjoying a movie on your 15 year old Sony after you've been watching Transformers in hi def. It will totally suck.

Excellent points. Also, many of the things in the tech package probably can't be added later. I know some people are looking at the added cost of upgrading the battery vs. the tech package. It's technically possible to upgrade the battery later though (they haven't announced plans to do this though but things like supercharging capability probably wouldn't be added back by going from 40 kWh pack to 85 kWh pack in 5 years for example).

Excellent points. Also, many of the things in the tech package probably can't be added later. I know some people are looking at the added cost of upgrading the battery vs. the tech package. It's technically possible to upgrade the battery later though (they haven't announced plans to do this though but things like supercharging capability probably wouldn't be added back by going from 40 kWh pack to 85 kWh pack in 5 years for example).

Very true, and I have an anecdotal story to bolster the point...

GMC offers retractable running boards for their Yukon SUV. If installed at the factory, the consumer price is around $1,000. If you decide you want them later, they cannot be installed, despite the fact that they "seem" relatively easy to add later. It seems that in order to install them, one needs to completely dismantle the interior, so that the CAN bus can be accessed, and a new wiring harness must be installed. The steps can then be installed, wiring plugged into the harness, and the car reassembled. But you aren't done yet. The computer must then be reprogrammed to acknowledge the steps and permit them to behave properly, which apparently is not possible, or if possible is risky in that it can make other components behave erratically or knock out functionality entirely. Estimated cost if everything is possible, including materials and labor cost eclipses $7,000.

My advice... Just get the package...

It's of course not necessary to get the tech package anymore than you must get the Model S but in my mind, if you're spending $60,000 on a car and going to show it off to your friends, keep it for 10 years...etc, adding some of these useful and cool features for 6% more is probably worth it. Other than the money, you wouldn't regret any of these features and probably learn to love them. You may regret not getting it later or you may not too. The Xenon headlights alone should have been standard as the other stuff in the tech package is mostly cool but not totally necessary. Either way you go, you're still getting a great car in the Model S.

On a similar note...
This is why some folks are ... upset ... about the storage size for media. Many (all?) would be willing to pay a (reasonable) additional cost to have at least 10 times the storage of an IPad3. Apple found a way to fit it in a tablet, so it seems reasonable that Tesla could stack some memory cells on the top surface of the battery or some-such.