Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tech Package worth getting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a similar note...
This is why some folks are ... upset ... about the storage size for media. Many (all?) would be willing to pay a (reasonable) additional cost to have at least 10 times the storage of an IPad3. Apple found a way to fit it in a tablet, so it seems reasonable that Tesla could stack some memory cells on the top surface of the battery or some-such.

I thought it would be a pleasant idea to have some usb ports in the glove box or at least stowed away so they wouldn't be in sight.

My tablet has a 32 GB microSD card. Are you telling me that something like that couldn't be hidden somewhere in the Model S? 500 songs...

How would people itemize the cost of each of component in the Tech Package? This is a slightly different question than whether the package has subjective value which has been previously discussed on the thread with points pro and con. I'm curious whether an objective argument can be made for the sum of the parts adding up to $3,750.

How would people itemize the cost of each of component in the Tech Package? This is a slightly different question than whether the package has subjective value which has been previously discussed on the thread with points pro and con. I'm curious whether an objective argument can be made for the sum of the parts adding up to $3,750.

Generally, these kind of options can never add up to what the factory charges, but you get them anyway because you don't want the car to be incomplete. Because it's going to be less-than-sales-tax, it won't make a material difference to the cost of the car.

Let's give it a try :

Xenon lights $800
LED fog lights $300 (check price of good LED light from Philips, you will see I'm not too far off)
Homelink $200 (no idea really, anyone knowing how much that cost for other car makers?)
SatNav $200 (I'm being generous here, but it is low volume for Navigon so probably high unit price)
Rear lift gate $500 (I have no idea, if someone has a more realistic number)
Convenience lighting $200 (compete guesstimate)
Automatic Keyless entry $200 (being generous again)
Electrochromatic side mirrors $400 (guesstimate again for additional work and more expensive pieces)
High def backup camera 100$ (I don't think the price difference can be more than that compared to SD cam)

I'm slightly under $3000, so adding some margin for Tesla, $3750 isn't looking so crazy.

Other OEMs charge several thousand for SatNav, so your $200 seems slim -- I know, that's what a decent standalone device costs, but there's an extra value of integration.

I just took as the base the cost of TomTom on iPad (about 60 Euro, and TomTom makes a comfortable margin on it). I was considering the minimal dev cost for Navigon to adapt it to Tesla Linux based environment (compared to a fully proprietary infotainment from mainstream car makers), 200$ seemed reasonable, more than 300$ would look very overpriced to me.

Automatic keyless entry is also a very low estimate. Considering there will need to be a minimum of 3 sensors & a control module I think most carmakers would charge close to $1000 for that standalone feature. Given that the motors for the handles already exist and likely the control module I could see rounding that down to $500 or so.

Thanks everyone. This is exactly what I was looking for. It seems the biggest discrepancy of opinion mentioned so far is on the nav system. Remembering that there are 7 years of map updates plus Tesla's unique implementation of the secondary map in front of the driver does $1000 seem in line with what other car manufacturers might charge or still too high? How does this seem for a next iteration? Please comment.

Xenon headlights $ 800
LED fog lights $ 300
Convenience lights $ 150
Nav system $1,000
Homelink $ 200
Power rear liftgate $ 500
Keyless entry $ 300
Electrochr. mirrors $ 400
HD rearview camera $ 100
----------------------------
$3,750

Honestly, I'd still say Nav is too low. Sure, the screen is already there, but it's also there on other cars I've owned and still was a hefty option. As others have said, there's a big value (IMO) for integration over a smartphone.

"Turn-by-turn navigation with seven years of free map updates"

Lexus distributes map updates each fall - and charges around $250 for the data and service to install the update. Over a 7 year period - that's 6 updates - for $1500. (Admittedly this is an outrageous charge - so it's not fair to claim Tesla's 7 years of free updates are really worth $1500!)

I'm hoping that with the continuous Internet connectivity, we will be getting more frequent updates and keep the maps more accurate than I've had in my Lexus/Toyota vehicles - because by the time the map updates get through the Lexus/Toyota distribution system - they are already out-of-date. I often end up driving into white space on the map - when driving through new neighborhoods or areas where the roads are being changed...

Is there any commitment that we will have "real-time traffic" or "real-time weather" integrated into the turn-by-turn navigation? I have real-time traffic with my Lexus -and that's been very helpful to warn me about slow traffic areas, in time to switch to an alternate route. But real-time traffic isn't free either - it requires an XM subscription - and just the traffic data alone costs around $4 per month. Over 7 years - that's an additional $336.

And one other item that we should consider is the commitment to providing software updates. With my 4 Lexus and Toyota vehicles that came with navigation systems - no software updates were provided. A commitment by Tesla to continue to provide updates to the navigation system and the other software applications is priceless - because as they introduce software features for the latest production vehicles - they will hopefully distribute those to the installed customer base - and all of their customers benefit.

Compared to what other manufacturers are charging for their "luxury" packages that include navigation, Tesla's price doesn't seem unreasonable - except that some of the items (such as homelink or keyless entry) would typically be included in the base model - and not require buying an upgrade.

I personally think the HIDs and offline maps are worth the $3,500 by themselves.

VW charges $1,500 just for HIDs and navigation for their GTI. BMW charges $900 just for HIDs.

I originally thought the same thing. But then again we should remember these are swap out prices. The delta for standard vs the step up options. I know replacing one headlight assembly on the Avalon - HID is right around $1000.

Also the HomeLink I wouldn't give that much credit either. It's a simple App. I'd say more like $50 to $100.

The power lift gate is probably more in the range of $900.

The HD backup camera is worth way more than $100. $250 to $500 (Assuming there is no camera provided if you don't get this package).

My 2 cents.

Homelink is not free to Tesla - they have to pay Johnson Controls a license fee for each car (opener) that uses it. Idk what that is but I'm sure it's not trivial.

The retail price of a Prius Homelink Mirror is $189 as an add-on. I don't know how much of that is Homelink and how much is the mirror.

I originally thought the same thing. But then again we should remember these are swap out prices. The delta for standard vs the step up options. I know replacing one headlight assembly on the Avalon - HID is right around $1000.

Also the HomeLink I wouldn't give that much credit either. It's a simple App. I'd say more like $50 to $100.

The power lift gate is probably more in the range of $900.

The HD backup camera is worth way more than $100. $250 to $500 (Assuming there is no camera provided if you don't get this package).

My 2 cents.

There is a low def camera provided by default, that's why I didn't account so much. And looking at HD sport cam price (GoPro, Contour) I think $500 is a bit high.