Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tech Package worth getting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally, I think they should incorporate a GPS-based naviation on both the 17 inch screen and the dash. Google maps is a nice addition, but if utilizing this is dependent upon a cellular connection, it really might not come through when people need it the most.
I think a compromise would be to pre-load a some radius of Google maps onto the internal hard drive. If you don't have 3G service you could tether your phone or have you car join a Wi-Fi network to do the download. Then it would be similar to other navs that have slightly out-dated maps but they are stored locally so no connectivity required. Not sure if Google has license restrictions on this but it seems like this would only require software to enable.

There must be something like this w/ the tech package since it lists 7 years of free map updates on the options and pricing page?

Tesla's tech package consists of things that really ought to be standard on a car in this price range.
Or even less! A lot of it comes with the Plug-in Prius... base trim!

- LED DRLs
- offline maps (with option to go online for POI lookups, traffic queries etc) with free updates via their entune thing
- online apps (Pandora, lookups of chargers & gas stations, although it's not as good as PlugShare, plus sports, stocks, plus other inane options) via bluetooth hotspot.
- electrochromatic rear view mirrors (not side)
- little ambient lights
- sensing proximity of the keys, configurable from the dash to unlock just one door, all etc. upon brushing the handles.
- Speech recognition for simple commands (audio, navigation, phone)

the $39K Advanced model provides an on-windshield HUD with turn-by-turn, EV power gauge, or current speed; fog lights; remote climate etc.

it's obviously not a one-for-one list to the Tesla package, but clearly sets a baseline expectation for 2012 cars that boast 'technology' as part of their brand. I can approach the car with key in pocket, plop on the driver seat and say "Favorite: Airport", get turn by turn directions (optimized via dash options for speed, distance, or EV range), get alerts for traffic and listen to my Pandora stations or XM.

Good news is: it's all software, so it's update-able. Bad news is, once a feature is in the tech package costing $$ it's unlikely it will trickle down for free to others at least until model X, or a significant version/pricing change.

The spec page shows the basic car having "keyless entry." The Tech Package gives you "automatic keyless entry." My impression is that the "automatic" part of the automatic keyless entry was originally intended to cause the handles to pop out as you approached the car. However, that does not seem to be the case any longer. You need to touch a door handle to get it to pop out.

What is automatic about the keyless entry in the Tech Package? Is it simply an automatic unlock function in the Tech Package where the doors automatically unlock as you approach whereas without the Tech Package you need to press the key fob to unlock? Or is keyless entry with and without the Tech Package the same now pending a software upgrade for the Tech Package which will cause the handles to pop out as you approach?

The spec page shows the basic car having "keyless entry." The Tech Package gives you "automatic keyless entry." My impression is that the "automatic" part of the automatic keyless entry was originally intended to cause the handles to pop out as you approached the car. However, that does not seem to be the case any longer. You need to touch a door handle to get it to pop out.

What is automatic about the keyless entry in the Tech Package? Is it simply an automatic unlock function in the Tech Package where the doors automatically unlock as you approach whereas without the Tech Package you need to press the key fob to unlock? Or is keyless entry with and without the Tech Package the same now pending a software upgrade for the Tech Package which will cause the handles to pop out as you approach?

The door handles *will* pop out automatically as you approach the car if you have the tech package--it's just not enabled in the current software version. It wouldn't surprise me if the software update coming out today (I think) finally enables this.

there is discussion on this in this thread Has Tesla given up on auto extending door handles? - Page 3

elon himself is quoted to tout this feature. this was one of the reasons I opted for the technology package. I'll be pissed if they conveniently drop it.

It sounds like if you don't have tech package then you must use he key fob to unlock and lock the door each time. That alone is reason enough to get the tech package.
Yes, like a "regular" keyless system w/ the lock/unlock buttons on the fob.

See the door handle thread. There has been ZERO word from Tesla that the auto handle extend has been dropped. People read the blurb in the manual about how it works today and extrapolated that Tesla had dropped the feature. They simply had to document the way the feature worked today and not some time in the future.

We are planning to purchase the Tech package because of the high efficiency lighting. It seems like a high price for not a lot of advantage. I do use navigation quite a bit, but a smartphone can handle that task... In any event we are keeping the Tech package on our options list and somewhat hopeful that "new" features will be added. Like maybe XM Radio.

I really struggled with deciding about the tech package. We were already way beyond our original budget with the 85 Kwh battery and a few options. I finally decided to get it since I think it will add a lot of enjoyment to the car and fully utilize the big monitor.

Homelink

I'm new to this, so excuse me if you have heard this before. There is one issue I would like someone to respond to and this is Homelink. I currently own a Jaguar and Mercedes, they are over 10 years old and both came standard with the ability to open you garage door and gate without the use of a bunch of clickers. I find it strange that a vehicle that cost $80,000 you have to spend another $3700 to be able to have homelink. I feel that that should be a standard option. Your input is appreciated