Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tech Package worth getting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think of the Tech Package as a de facto price increase. I think they split the included stuff to hit the $57,400 price point. I fully expect for it to disappear in 6-12 months. Maybe they will just have a navigation option.

The HID lamps on the Model S are great. Very bright, well aimed, I personally think alone the HIDs are worth the Tech pack price. And the main thing that makes the retractable handles worth anything is 'auto present'.

The HIDs are the main reason Im getting the tech package.
I don't understand why people don't buy Xenons. To me, good lightning ahead is number one priority on a car.

And also halogens make the car look cheap and old. Not saying the non tech headlights look cheap - they Are really Nice/identical to the Xenons, but when i meet a car In the dark - it just looks cheap.

Tech package should've been standard, even with a small price increase.

_____
Tapatalkin' from iTalatut.

I'm new to this, so excuse me if you have heard this before. There is one issue I would like someone to respond to and this is Homelink. I currently own a Jaguar and Mercedes, they are over 10 years old and both came standard with the ability to open you garage door and gate without the use of a bunch of clickers. I find it strange that a vehicle that cost $80,000 you have to spend another $3700 to be able to have homelink. I feel that that should be a standard option. Your input is appreciated

While Tesla is breaking the model in many ways, this is unfortunately one practice that is similar to many other automakers. When I bought a Toyota minivan some years ago, cruise control was only available as part of a luxury package. And when I bought my Audi A4, memory seats only came on the highest spec level, along with sport wheels and a number of other things I didn't want to pay for. I said no both times, which can be a challenge when I try to fit my 6'3" body into the driver's seat after my 5'2" wife has driven it - fortunately not too often. If all you want is homelink I suggest you also say no and use the physical remote for your garage.

While Tesla is breaking the model in many ways, this is unfortunately one practice that is similar to many other automakers. When I bought a Toyota minivan some years ago, cruise control was only available as part of a luxury package. And when I bought my Audi A4, memory seats only came on the highest spec level, along with sport wheels and a number of other things I didn't want to pay for. I said no both times, which can be a challenge when I try to fit my 6'3" body into the driver's seat after my 5'2" wife has driven it - fortunately not too often. If all you want is homelink I suggest you also say no and use the physical remote for your garage.

Funny, had the same experience with the A4 (manual seats) and my wife is 5' and I'm 6'. I definitely feel your pain.

Funny, had the same experience with the A4 (manual seats) and my wife is 5' and I'm 6'. I definitely feel your pain.

Unfortunately, the tech package on the MS doesn't solve this problem until they (hopefully?) link the keyfob to driver profiles. I still need to cram myself into the seat after my wife drives the car to change back to my profile on the touchscreen.

Unfortunately, the tech package on the MS doesn't solve this problem until they (hopefully?) link the keyfob to driver profiles. I still need to cram myself into the seat after my wife drives the car to change back to my profile on the touchscreen.

Hopefully they can address that. That's the beauty of the Model S. This is something they might be able to solve in software either with the keyfob or with the mobile app. You could swtich driver profiles from your app in the future maybe.

I have a Roadster without the tech package. One of the things that was advertised as part of the Roadster tech package was Homelink. In fact, Homelink is present and works on my car (and as far as I know on every other 2.0+ Roadster, too). I have no idea if this is also true of the Model S, but it's at least possible. Has anyone gotten an S without the tech package and looked for Homelink?

So for the Model S owners without a tech package ... Is there any turn by turn navigation possible on the big screen or is that feature only possible with the Tech Package? Navigation was really the only tech package feature I wanted but would never pay $3500 for it.

After 6 weeks and >1500 miles WITH a Tech package, my one word answer to the original thread question is a resounding YES.

Homelink with geo-awareness is great. HID lighting is really great as my eyes get older. Directional lighting as you turn the steering wheel really does help. The side turn signal just in front of the side mirrors actually turns on bright white as you steer past a certain point in that direction! The turn by turn voice nav is very detailed and I rarely make a wrong turn now compared to the nav in my previous Infinitis and Acuras. Fog light look cool and really do help a little when it's foggy in the mornings.

I think you will get your money back in resale value down the line.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a profile named "Exit The Car" and we both use that after parking. Seats are backed up and steering wheel is elevated for easy egress from the driver seat. That's how I find the car after my wife drives it and I just touch my profile and I'm ready to go.

With the Xenon lights and HD backup camera now being a standard feature the question to the value of the Tech package becomes current again.
For me personally just for the maps with turn by turn navigation and the other - less significant -features the answer has become a no.
I hardly need navigation and the times I do need them the Wave app works fine. The other features are just gizmo's I can live without and are not worth the price.

The tech package wasn't worth it to me before they moved memory seats to it. Luckily, I got it into my configuration when it was part of the leather seat option. I also did an aftermarket upgrade to Xenon lights and got the air suspension. Seems Tesla is trying to zero in on the combo of features that will make the tech package a 'gotta have'.