Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla Adding CCS Chargers a Mistake? (TMC Podcast Clip)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently the superchargers in Europe are getting to be very expensive. 50-60 ct/kWh is getting "normal" for a Tesla driver. Ionity, with 18 Euro/month you pay 31ct/kWh.
I even see that regular tesla drivers will start to use LESS superchargers and move to Ionity or other providers.
So the break even on the monthly fee is ~62 kWh charging - or roughly one fill-up a month.

Standards are helpful, but there is a question I always like to ask and that is who is it good for?

I have considered CCS EVs but there are critical locations which I frequent that have Super Chargers, but no CCS DCFC.

Why does Tesla want to give up this advantage? My answer is they have incentives, so discussion of the resulting inconvenience will have no impact.

It should be one standard and be done. Especially now that I am located in more rural areas for the time finding CCS is more normal. But end off the day the switch would be more easier just switching the cables building new Teslas with CCS, and all the old either get and adapter or you retrofit the charge port.

It'll make lives for everyone better

It'll make lives for everyone better
I don’t buy that. There must be a load of Tesla owners that are satisfied with the charging system of the cars they selected and the supercharger network. Newer CCS-enabled Teslas have even more charging options with the adaptor.
How many happy owners would agree their lives were made better by losing the TPC?

I don’t buy that. There must be a load of Tesla owners that are satisfied with the charging system of the cars they selected and the supercharger network. Newer CCS-enabled Teslas have even more charging options with the adaptor.
How many happy owners would agree their lives were made better by losing the TPC?
In Europe, Tesla drivers can charge at any fast chargers.

I have never heard any of them say, "What I really want is to only be able to charge at Tesla Superchargers."

Last edited:
In Europe, Tesla drivers can charge at any fast chargers.

I have never heard any of them say, "What I really want is to only be able to charge at Tesla Superchargers."
You previously gave the appropriate response:
What a terrible argument.
Europe is a very INCREDIBLY different situation that doesn't have any relevance to how things are here in North America. From the very beginning, Tesla started off their cars using almost the same charging port that was already established in Europe. That Type2 plug was what everyone used, including Tesla in Europe.

In North America, though, they got started way earlier, and built up a huge number of cars and infrastructure, like wall connectors, etc. on something that was different. There's too much established inertia here with having to change everything, versus how in Europe, they were already like two thirds of the way there, and with fewer legacy cars, so it was a smaller task to switch.

You previously gave the appropriate response:

Europe is a very INCREDIBLY different situation that doesn't have any relevance to how things are here in North America. From the very beginning, Tesla started off their cars using almost the same charging port that was already established in Europe. That Type2 plug was what everyone used, including Tesla in Europe.

In North America, though, they got started way earlier, and built up a huge number of cars and infrastructure, like wall connectors, etc. on something that was different. There's too much established inertia here with having to change everything, versus how in Europe, they were already like two thirds of the way there, and with fewer legacy cars, so it was a smaller task to switch.
It wouldn't be "a very INCREDIBLY different situation" today had Tesla made the switch in North America the same time that it did in Europe.